What's new

Stephen Chow's latest flick - Kung Fu Hustle (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Saw this a couple of days ago and I can't recommend it enough. I have really gotten into Asian film, in particular from HK, in the last 5 years or so. While I really like the direction it has evolved (more "non-martial arts" directors getting into it, serious stories, etc.) it was so refreshing to see what first drew me to the genre...wacky fun and cool stuff. My first taste of the bizarre fantasy genre of HK cinema actually came from the Big Trouble in Little China...the best non-HK bizarre fantasy film and a great bridge for those who may not know how big a world is out there. Carpenter was clearly inspired by the East's wonderful and cool and funny take on fantasy.

Kung Fu Hustle is a return to that irreverent take on the fantastic (which, even after loving The Lord of the Rings movies, is a genre in need of some loosening up). It is a cartoon in every sense of the word. It is also surprisingly spiritual. I am new to Chow (only other film I have seen of his has been Soccer) but in both movies I have seen he has shown a reverence for the spiritual and the common folk. I have to admit was a sucker for the redemption story, too.

But these are mostly shading in what is clearly meant to be a wacky good time and it is. It is also a cool time and a silly time. I was with someone who had seen good Asian cinema so it wasn't a surprise to see a great film but it was fun to be in an audience that seemed new to this who were constantly talking and saying "oh my god, this is awesome" at every weird turn, twist or bit. I think Chow has found an audience over hear. Hopefully stupid Western companies will learn to leave these films alone.

Reading about the original blood, I can see that bit about the blood being removed from the Landlords head. It wouldn't make sense for him to be that beat up. After knowing who he is and what he can do, it was perfect that he only just smacked the ground and left an impression of his face in the ground like Donald Duck might. Perfect.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I went to see it in the theater today. I was happy that it was pretty much intact. There are a number of scenes with blood removal.

The landlord's scene early on as well as when Chow gets punched by the onion woman. Also when he is getting pounded by Beast at the end there is a whole insert that has been ommited as well as digital removal on Beast's hand.

One of the edits I was sad to see go since it is kind of a Stephen Chow trademark. Oh well. Gald I have the region 3 disc.

--Ian

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Ian -
I am also glad I have the Region 3 disc. I won't be buying the Region 1.

I'm not sure why this had to be edited when the movie is rated R.

Matt

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Matt,

To me it seems that they edited it first probably in hopes of getting a friendlier PG-13 rating. Usually the mpaa.org site will have notations if a flick was re-edited to get the rating it has. Kung Fu Hustle only shows up as 'R' If it got an 'R' the first at bat I doubt they would want to go to the expense of having the uncut movie rated again and they just left it as is.

--Ian

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Saw it tonight. Great, funny flick. It parodies many other movies - mainly other Kung Fu ones obviously, and pokes fun at Shaolin Soccer - No More Soccer!, and lampoons the Burly Brawl - way more entertaining too BTW - from the Matrix.

The knife scene was hilarious - had tears from laughing so hard! Many funny bits throughout it and echoes of Keaton and Chaplin as well.

Highly recommended!

KyleK

Second Unit
Well I saw this the other night and what can I say, I was entertained. However, I'm not sure if this is just Chinese humor, but I found some of the humor to be slightly disturbing or disconcerting rather than funny, such as the nudity, bloodshed, urination. It just seemed strange to me.

Anyways, did the landlord remind anyone of Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees?

I was trying to figure out who I thought he looked like during the whole movie!

Kyle:D

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator

what nudity are you refering too.. you mean the half-butt rear shown from the barber boy? are you armish or something?
there's tons more nudity and sex on the bachelor, mtv, vh1, survivor, etc

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Ian -
That would make sense about the rating.

I found the blood to be very reminiscent of the old Shaw Brothers movies.

Matt

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

As far as the bloodshed goes there is a bunch missing and while some of it was possibly gratuitous there were some scenes that made it funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks