What's new

Starting from the Beginning (1 Viewer)

jamesw20

Auditioning
Real Name
James Hurst
Hey Guys newby to the forum here. I've been a 2 channel audio guy for the last decade plus and have attained quite a nice high end system. Unfortunately, now with kids and a crazy schedule I never have dedicated time to sit and listen. So, I'm seriously thinking of selling current setup in favor of a good HT system for the family to enjoy for the next several year. Trying to do my due deligence in reading on my options but would like some experienced help. I have an HT guy here I can call but I like to do it myself both to save money and to learn the process. Look to spend approx 11-12K. room with 9 ft ceilings. Screen wall 15 ft, long wall 20 with viewing distance at approx. 10 ft. Strongly considering Triad vs Sonance built in speakers as my 5 year old likes to get up and dance during music scenes and towers/monitors pose a danger. I feel fairly comfortable on the audio portion and will like be using a modest pro/amp combo. My real request is video help. I currenlty have a samsung 60 inch plasm on the wall that will remain so fixed projector screens are out. Also, I like the tensioned options. 2.35:1 of 16:9?? I've read about the Panasonic 8000 a projectors that look nice. Also, the JVC pro and Sony options seem great. Any assistance is appreciated.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
What does your room look like? Size? Seating distance? Fans in the path of projector? Ceiling mount or other? You aren't going to find too many folks here who recommend built in speakers. What speakers do you have now? You can't augment that to 5.1?

jamesw20

Auditioning
Real Name
James Hurst
Room in approx 20x20 however screen wall only has 15 ft of wall space as the other 5 are stairs. Viewing dist. 10ft. Nothing blocking ceiling mounted projector. Currently running Merlin VSM-MXR tower reference speakers from a el34 based Ars Sonum int. amp. They are extremely highly revealing speakers typically used in recording studios and unless I used 15K based amps would sound like junk given the lower quality of most HT audio frontend. The triads are enclosed and should be fine for my purpose.

jamesw20

Auditioning
Real Name
James Hurst
what speakers would you recommend if I tried monitors? they would need to be near wall and not rear ported.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well I'm not really into the level of budget you are talking nor do I think your speakers would sound bad with HT material. Your best bet screen wise is probably Stewart but again, I'm down in the Elite price range and very happy with it.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
With a 10' seating distance, screen size should be about 90" diagonal max, 16:9 screen. I hate the 2.35:1 format, but to each his own. I wish ALL HD content was in the 16:9 format. Why settle for a smaller image?

jamesw20

Auditioning
Real Name
James Hurst
I have decided to go wtih a monitor speaker for the front 3 channels and inwalls/ceiling for surrounds. I have another question regarding harware. I have always been a fan of Meridian products and see relative good deals on teh 861 with earlier software versions. Certainly I would't be getting the HD DD formats but couldn't I run that from my bluray and use the passthrough of the processor? Also, I can go directly from the bluray to projector hdmi. My other option is going with a new Marantz or integra processor. Options and opinions are appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Technically speaking...there are only two things that "need" HDMI... BD 1080P (which also encompasses DVD scaled to 1080P) PPV 1080P (Directv has 1080P PPV and I'm sure by now Uverse and Fios do as well) Meridian, if they have the 6channel card, can take the HD audio from a player that also has 6/8 channel outputs. So, with a doubled up connection to the display...sure. There is a guy on Fleabay selling a v1.8 for $1500...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks