What's new

started auditioning speakers (1 Viewer)

JesseBro

Stunt Coordinator
after a brief stop at Best Buy, i realized just how different the average consumer speaker vs. the B&W, Paradigm, etc. After about 2hr audition of speakers ranging from $250-$3000, i found (in my ears) the B&W DM601 S3 to be the cleanest speaker i auditioned in my price range ($300-$600). the B&W DM303 was also a very detailed speaker but lacked the noticable midrange difference of the DM601. i also listened to the full line of Paradigm speakers and did not find to them to be as detailed nor did i hear a clear seperation of the music. I listed to everything from movies, jazz, jazz vocals, classic rock, and some Dave Matthews.... so i think i got a pretty good picture of what each speaker could do. I just fell in love with the DM601 at a $410 price tag, and in comparison to the B&W CDM 1NT i could not see spending the extra $800. I'll admit the sound was a bit more full and the separation was a little more distinct, but it could not justify the cost. so im going to keep on listening until im completely convinced the DM601 is the speaker for me

im working with a room about 20x12 with 9 foot tapered ceilings.

any input on comparable speakers sub $500 i should go listened to, please let me know

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yep, you picked two solid contenders, paradigm and B&W. Different sounds between the B&W 600 series, and the paradigm monitor series, and it's really all personal taste as you mentioned. I liked the digms a lot more, didn't care for the 601s (just me of course, and I did, on the other hand, really like the CDMs). I did, though just like 2 days ago hear some AE speakers, little bookshelves that impressed me, i *think* they were something like the Aegis Evo 1's. I'm just perusing their website, but that looks like them. I was pretty impressed, if you can take a listen, might be worth a shot. Good luck! :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
The best way is to try them in your home with your gear regardless of the brand or where you get them. Also don't give up on internet brands just because you have to eat alittle shipping. Even if you spent $300 in shipping and tried everyone and the last one was the one you could live with forever it would be worth the price twice over. Axiom, Ascend, Onix by Rocket, ACI to name a few.

MarkAT

Auditioning
I will second the recommendation of Internet Direct companies. I have experience dealing with both Ascend Acoustics and Axiom. Both companies offers excellent customer service and acknowledge each other as creators of excellent products. I benefitted immensely from the opportunity to audition both of their speakers in my home. I ended up choosing the Axioms because their level of detail appealed to my musical tastes.

Mark

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I listened to the 602 S3s and I was not impressed. Clear, but not exciting. The 601s did not go quite low enough. There was a noticable difference in clarity and imaging with the CDM 1NT, though I do not like the price a whole lot either, that is the top I wanted to pay for a bookshelf. Another problem is the CNT, it's FUGLY, even if it does sound good.

If you look on Audiogon, you can sometimes find the CDMs for a lot less.

You might also try to auditon NHT SB2s and the Evolution M5. The SB3 MSRPs at $600, but is better than the SB2. NHTs are a bit on the bright side, but they are also very clean sounding, along the lines of the 600 series. The SBs have much nicer looking cabinets than the 600 series also.

I have not heard the Ascends, but they have pretty darn good specs and plenty of good reviews.

I have heard the Axioms, and I highly recommend them in this price range. The M22Ti can be had for $400/pr, and should be a solid contender in this price range. Very musical, and they can handle plenty of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks