What's new

"Starship Troopers" & "Hollow Man: Director's Cut" coming! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
why is that, whats he been involved with that was good, besides the first ST.

Jace_A

Second Unit

How much more can they add? This title has already been the subject of not less than two different special editions.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I will try to get a copy from UK, will post any new if they will ship ST.

Marek

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This sounds about right. "Starship Troopers: Marauder (2007)" is coming, which is the 3rd film of the "series" (I guess the 2nd one was a very quick "straight-to-video"-production). Based on the IMDB, 2nd had the budget of $7,000,000, while the 3rd one has $20,000,000 (could it be even theatrical release then?).

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
What would be the cheapest place to import Starship Troopers from? Amazon UK wants $41 after currency conversion. That's a bit steep.

On a completely separate note, I did receive my first imported BD title today. Infernal Affairs is in the house!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
If you can wait 'til October and import from Australia, you'll pay about $35 if you pre-order from EzyDVD.

I'd just as soon wait and hope we get a kickass SE. And I need to read an in-depth review of the import version.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I might also import this (Starship Troopers). Let us know how Infernal Affairs turns out Paul. :) I was planning on picking it up after I read some reviews, then I completely forgot about it coming out.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

can you compare PQ/AQ with some other titles you have ?

thanx
Marek

P.S. I am about to make order :) so I would like to know more :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
From AVS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo88
Paidgeek,

Thought I posted this before, but any chances Starship Troopers could get interactive PIP features in the film's "Would you like to know more?" theme?

With the heavy presence of interactive media in the film, ST seems a prime candidate for next-gen interactive features on BD. Especially since previous releases have loads of bonus material that could be implemented. I hope they can get the same guy for the VO work!

[PAIDGEEK]: Something like this sounds possible. Thanks for making the suggestion, I'll pass it along.

Solo88 is me, in case you didn't know, so if the coolness happens, bow down before me.:)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that the UK-version (ST) is missing the Audio commentary (it has "Scene De-Constructions - with audio commentary by director Paul Verhoeven",though). I´m almost 100% (well, 95%) sure that it´ll be included in the US release. Like with e.g. Euro-versions of "The Guardian" and "Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", Audio commentary is dropped (most likely) because the additional dubs. I´m waiting for the US-release..

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
the u.s. release may also get the trailers of the film in hd, just like sony did on final fantasy. ok, i hope they do ;)

since i only have the very first dvd release of this film i can't wait for the br to hit the stores :D

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
My copy of Starship Troopers arrived yesterday and I will take a look at it tonight. I already have a decent 1080i version on my PC, but this should be a step up. I already have the UK versions of The Rock and Air Force One, and they were both very good (The Rock, especially).

Adam

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
OK, I watched Starship Troopers last night and thought it was a nice improvement over the Superbit, but it did have a few problems (mainly the same problems I noticed with the Superbit version).

There's a fair amount of grain in many of the sequences with mixed live and CGI footage, and in some of the film's low-light and interior scenes. Comparing the Blu-ray transfer directly with the Superbit shows that both display very similar levels of grain, but that it has been smoothed out on the DVD release, while the Blu-ray's greater detail makes it more obvious. On the other hand, while the DVD has a great deal of artefacts (flecks, nicks and hairs) the Blu-ray has very few to speak of, and looks to be in better shape. Detail was generally very good after the first few minutes, which were quite soft (as on the DVD), but there aren't many 'looking through a window' sequences -- mainly in the final third and the space sequences, such as the night-time firefight, the first meeting with Lt. Raskzac and the second dropship landing all wowed. Some of the close-ups on faces were fantastic.

I noticed once again that some of the interior shots have incredibly shallow depth of focus (in some cases the eyes are in focus, but not the nose and cheeks, for example; this was always how the film looks so I can't complain its reproduction on Blu-ray Disc). Colours were really good for the most part, with some intense primaries (red, green and blue) in the landing sequences, and solid black levels. My biggest complaint was some fairly heavy use of edge enhancement, notably towards the end of the film during the Planet P firebase attack; it looks like the sharpness control has been given a hefty twist. Interestingly the colour seemed to be slightly washed out in these sequences as well. I would rate the transfer somewhere around three and a half stars out of five; with points marked down for inconsistency, grain and edge enhancement. Still a notable all-around upgrade from the Superbit though, but not as much as I might have hoped given the very high quality reissues of similarly aged titles such as Dragonheart, The Rock and Dante's Peak. Definitely a case of 'could do better'.

The PCM (16-bit 48kHz I believe) soundtrack is a major step up from the Superbit's Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks. Dialogue was great, and most of the audio pegging from previous DVD releases is gone (the worst case was always the foot stomp of the firebug when the troopers first land on Planet P, and it's very hard to detect here). The surrounds are used quite well, but to my ears the biggest changes are in resolution and the sheer weight of the bass, which sounds great; everything from the interior hum of the ships to the low-end of the weapons firing has nice heft and authority. The resolution is also noticeably improved; for example, the music at the dance (sung by Verhoeven's daughter) actually sounds decent for the first time, and not totally canned (although the song itself isn't very good).

I didn't get a chance to look at the extras, but I have to say that the main menu for the disc has to take the new crown for the ugliest I have seen; someone must have dusted off their Commodore 64. Yuk!

(Equipment used was a Panasonic DMP-BD10 firmware 2.3 connected via HDMI to a calibrated Panasonic PT-AX100 projecting at 100" on a matt white screen)

Adam

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

Mine arrived yesterday, and I concur with your comments. However...

I thought the same as well until I noticed that the ship screens in the movie looked exactly the same. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks