What's new

"Starship Troopers" & "Hollow Man: Director's Cut" coming! (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I've been hearing the same rumblings on AVS. I would definitely be down for Starship Troopers. Hollow Man just flat out sucks.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd jump to pick up STARSHIP TROOPERS on BD, even though I actually think the animated series was better. TROOPERS is still one of the best looking SD discs I own. An HD version, done right, would look fantastic.

I'd pass on HM. I thought it was an awful bastardization of Wells's classic story.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yeah, I have the Troopers: Roughnecks on DVD and wish Sony would have scraped together a few dollars and finished the uncompleted episodes. Oh well, it's still a fun series, and I highly recommend it to everyone- it's much closer to the book than the movie was anyways.

I also agree on HM--suckorooni. If only Memoirs of an Invisible Man was more like the book. But casting Chevy Chase and making it an action/comedy ruined it completly. Such a great book. Bastards.:frowning:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Starship Troopers is a must buy for me too :emoji_thumbsup: and I agree with most everyone here that Hollow Man sucks. :laugh:

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Official now:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...on_Blu-ray/827

"Sony will bring both films to Blu-ray on October 16, with each enjoying 1080p transfers and uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround tracks.

Sony has not yet announced supplemental details for either release."

Cool. I didn´t care much of "Hollow Man" ("SS" was decent), but perhaps the dir.cut is a minor improvement..

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Starship Troopers is a huge guilty pleasure movie and one of my early SD DVD demo discs. Held out on the upgraded release from a year or so ago hoping for the HD version.

You've got to love Michael Ironside performance.

"Everyone fights. No one quits. You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself. You get me?" :)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Starship Troopers is a favorite of mine as well. I can hardly wait to own it in High Definition!! :)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

I did exactly the same. Had the LD which was then quickly replaced by the original DVD, and now finally the Blu-Ray. I'm hoping it'll look closer to my memory of the 1997 theatrical release than ever before.

I hope they'll carry over all the extras from the new SE DVD though....

This film has always been one of my favorites - not even a guilty pleasure! It has so much to say, and has a great time doing it. A real classic, and, in my opinion, Verhoeven's best work.

EDIT: I'm talking about Starship Troopers here, and not Hollow Man, which is certainly NOT Verhoeven's best work!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ST is a bunch of fun to watch.

i dont think i could ever watch hollow man again.
it's a shame though.
the first half or so was pretty good until it became a typical slasher gore movie.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Starship Troppers, is done right, should be an eye popper in HD. Even though it has nothing in common with the book it came from, one of my favorite Heinlein novels, it is still a blast to watch.

As far as Hollow Man, that is a definate :thumbsdown: .

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Count me in for SST.

The dvd was a real demo piece back in the day and I am "sure" that the br will be as well.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

An interesting section there about BVHE listing commentaries on packaging but not including them on the discs! I really don't understand how this sort of thing can still happen! I was just about to buy The Rock, but now I'm not so sure....

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I´m afraid the back covers cannot be fully trusted. Nor the specs from the online-store sites (since they usually take the info from those back covers..).

One problem with these Euro Blu-ray (some of them) releases is, that they include dubs like French and Spanish 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (e.g. "Air Force One") and because of that they might drop e.g. the audio commentary or some other extras (e.g. Euro "Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" and "The Guardian").

You pay 25-30 EUROS of these releases, only to get French dub in DTS-HD.. :crazy:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Oh brother. :rolleyes:Are we going to have to go through this shit again in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Starship Troppers was a title I was really looking forward to. This really sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks