What's new

Stargate Universe (3rd stargate series!) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I liked it. How could you not want to know what's through that gate? It's interesting that there are no big enemies so far, though Rush is a possible Dr. Smith.

Heh heh. Dr. Lee. Very brief appearance, but I love that guy.

Arild

Supporting Actor
It's definitely intriguing, but I think it's unfortunate that they didn't show all three hours of the pilot at once. The ending was very abrupt, IMO.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The ending was very abrupt. Made almost no sense as an ending. I'll check it out, but very confusing finish. And the way we keep adding "oh, now we can dial more chevrons" eh..

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by mattCR /forum/thread/254416/stargate-universe-3rd-stargate-series#post_3613202

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't mind the abruptness because it's like a cliffhanger. "What's through that gate?" If they end up meeting the new Wraith/Goa'uld/Ori, it will be kind of odd that it didn't happen on the first night.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I'm in for the long haul, but with some reservations. It felt like the suits scrimped on talent to meet budget goals. There are a couple of key players that who might not have an 'A' game in them.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I don't think about the Chevrons too much because I never really got the whole Chevron thing from the series period. The movie implied that Daniel Jackson was needed because the military had been dialing an infinite number of combinations since the gate was discovered, and none of them did anything. I forget the timeframe, but we might be talking about something like 40 years. Now the gate may as well be a map of New York City because every address you dial takes you someplace.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Sci Fi Canceled Stargate Atlantis for Stargate Universe? This has got to be one of the worse decisions that Sci Fi has ever made. After watching the two hour premiere, I wasn't all that impressed. The series, in my opinion, sucks ...

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

Sci Fi Canceled Stargate Atlantis for Stargate Universe?
The canceled Atlantis and green-lit Universe, but those two actions may not have anything to do with each other.

Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

I don't think about the Chevrons too much because I never really got the whole Chevron thing from the series period. The movie implied that Daniel Jackson was needed because the military had been dialing an infinite number of combinations since the gate was discovered, and none of them did anything. I forget the timeframe, but we might be talking about something like 40 years. Now the gate may as well be a map of New York City because every address you dial takes you someplace.
The problem in the movie was that the military folks never figured out they needed a point of origin at the end, and didn't understand why it wouldn't work with six symbols. Of course, there's much about that particular subject that doesn't really make sense in the movie - for instance, once they find the six symbol address to Earth, Daniel insists he can't make it work without the point of origin. But why not? They already had the address, and there's 39(?) symbols on the gate. Take away the six used in the address, and they would have been able to get a lock within 33 tries.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco
Now the gate may as well be a map of New York City because every address you dial takes you someplace.
They lucked out on Abydos. And, that was it for a long time, until they reinstated the Stargate program and went back to Abydos and found the chamber with all of the gate addresses. Besides having a ton of addresses off the bat, they began to understand the gate system better. And, they had a better computer program that could dial infinite combinations and eliminate dead ends. Finally, they were often able to pick up new addresses when they went through the gate.

Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
The series, in my opinion, sucks ...
Pretty bold statement after seeing just 2/3 of an episode.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I thought that it was interesting so far. Some of the whimsy and fun from SG1/SGA wasn't there, but from what I've read, it will return later in the season.

It was a bit darker, leaning toward the tendencies of SciFi shows that have started since SG1 (eg Lost, BSG, etc), with no obvious heroes or villains, just a bunch of somewhat flawed characters.

The gf (who has never seen a minute of SG stuff since the original movie) quite enjoyed it and was able to pick up what was going on fairly quickly.

Verdict so far? Still out, but doesn't suck. :)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I'm not too fond of stereotypical plot points. A professor who only thinks of himself and his personal goals above all else, a rogue soldier who might blow up at any time, a weak subordinate required to take charge during a crisis, the sacrificial lamb...

This better improve. Give me some creative writing like we had with BSG. That show changed its storyline so often, sometimes during the same episode, it never got boring!

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Francois Caron

I'm not too fond of stereotypical plot points. A professor who only thinks of himself and his personal goals above all else, a rogue soldier who might blow up at any time, a weak subordinate required to take charge during a crisis, the sacrificial lamb...
I don't think we've seen anywhere near enough of the characters yet to decide they're "stereotypes"

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

They lucked out on Abydos. And, that was it for a long time, until they reinstated the Stargate program and went back to Abydos and found the chamber with all of the gate addresses. Besides having a ton of addresses off the bat, they began to understand the gate system better. And, they had a better computer program that could dial infinite combinations and eliminate dead ends. Finally, they were often able to pick up new addresses when they went through the gate.

Pretty bold statement after seeing just 2/3 of an episode.
Along with that, they realized that they needed to compensate for the universe expanding - 'spatial drift'. The DHDs were able to automatically compensate for it. Abydos, being the closest to Earth, had very little drift and that's why they were able to dial it in.

It was an interesting start; I'll certainly continue watching. It hasn't 'wowed' me yet, but it doesn't suck, either.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I finally saw the premiere of Stargate Voyager last night. I've only seen the first few seasons of SG1 (and one of these days I'll get around to watching more) and just a couple of episodes of SG Atlantis. Anyway, this new series was an interesting start. One large outstanding question remains about the attack on the base - was there a traitor on the base? I somehow feel that Dr. Rush has more skeletons in his closet. I thought that the commander was going to sacrifice himself even before he volunteered to do it, but was surprised that the senator did so. After all that bluster, showing a politician in very good light there. I'll be following along.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks