What's new

Stargate SG1 questions. (1 Viewer)

Scotty_McW

Second Unit

I couldn't agree more, Mark. This is one of the things that really impressed me with the show and continues to do so. I've watched 1-5 on DVD and will continue to purchase the remaining seasons as well as Atlantis. A truly fantastic show.

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input, I went back and bought seasons 3&4, they are all sold out now except for 1 copy of season 1. I finished S1 and had to start S2 due to the cliff hanger, they were great episodes.

Even if season 8 is sub-par, shouldn't it be watched before watching Atlantis? Is Atlantis any good, I havn't seen a single episode, I can't stand regular TV anymore, with all the logo branding and commercial.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
I liked Jonas, too! I liked him just as much, if not more than Daniel. It was really sad when he left...I thought they should have kept him around longer. I'm sure they could have found a place for him. But, I don't want to start a flame war, since I know alot of people didn't care for him, (or season 6, for that matter) so I'll stop here... :)

I'm really not too worried about season 8. I'm sure it has its ups and downs, most shows do, especially in the later years. (Let's face it, it's extremely rare when a show makes it that long. All the ones I like usually get cancelled after one or two seasons, but that is a topic for a different time.) Anyway, if I didn't watch season 8, I would always wonder about it, and I'd end up watching it anyway. ;)

Arild

Supporting Actor
The first two episodes of season 8 should be watched before Atlantis. There is some continuity between the two shows after that as well.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
This is a good thread for me because I just watched episodes 1-3 of Season 1. I made the mistake of asking my roommate if he wanted to watch the series with me so now I have to wait for him to continue but I think I'm gonna say "screw that" and just continue on without him. He ends up sleeping thru 1/2 of the episodes anyway. (He does that with every show, even ones he loves.)

I'll be checking back in here from time to time. With so many seasons it's gonna take me a looonngggg time to get caught up. Especially since I'm watching other series right now.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

If you like SG-1, I can't imagine you wouldn't like Atlantis. It felt really polished right out of the gate and the cast gelled really quickly. It actually managed to be a better show than SG-1 last season. It makes a really great companion to its mother show and the cast is one of the best I've ever seen on TV.

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
Stargate is a very formulaic, by the numbers show, and in that it's enjoyable. It is only when it moved from Showtime to the SciFi channel post season 5 that it went progressively downhill.
Season 8 was the worst season by far IMO. Almost no gate travel whatsoever,recycled old plots with no new interesting spins, hackneyed political/enspionage plots(The boring TRUST plot) best left to Alias and the like. The final double parter Moebius was the biggest anti-climacticwo parter I've ever seen to end a season.Very shoddy craftsmanship indeed.
Unfortunately, the show has become the Baywatch of Scifi: long running and popular in its day, but much derided in retrospect.
You could never call it 'classic scifi' anymore.
My advice to most newcomers is to probably stop at the end of Season 6 at best. The last few years diminished the show so much IMO.
I think it's a good example how most shows should go for 5 or 6 seasons then STOP for the sake of quality and reputation.

Arild

Supporting Actor
And I think the better advice would be to keep watching until one finds it for oneself that one is not entertained anymore. Because, you know, not everyone is gonna feel the same way. :)

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a co-mod on a Stargate Spoiler list of over 6,000 people worldwide. I would not agree that season 8 is much derided. There were complaints from RDA fans about his reduced role, but most fans agreed he was put to better use in his reduced hours during season 8 than he'd been in season 7. Like with any long-running show, you come to it with your own set of enjoyment criteria - the odds that a show running that long will fill everyone's criteria all the time are pretty not-going-to-happen.

I got hooked on Stargate with the original film. Never missed an episode of Stargate SG-1 or Stargate Atlantis yet, and I don't intend to. :>

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
ok just about to start Season 8 and Atlantis. Any advice as to viewing order. Is this like the Buffy/Angel situation where the episodes crossed from one to the other or are they separate from each other ?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I concur with Arild. If you've seen the end of S7 you'll definitely be going "WTF?" during Rising (Atlantis) if you haven't watched New Order (SG-1) first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks