What's new

Stargate SG-1 thinpak repackaging (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
You can play DVDs in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD players, so that's not an issue. $500 for a player...where did you see that? I think the ones I've seen are around $1000.

Gord

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Getting back to the subject, I would love to pick up the thin-packs for my set. Who would have thought that when I started buying SG-1 that it would turn out to be my largest set (it will be topping off at the very least at 10 seasons...but who knows!?!), and in the largest packaging possible!

I welcome the opportunity to condense my collection and save shelf space!

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

I like that to, but did you notice that in the artwork Sony sent to TVShowsOnDVD the cases where in the wrong order. So the gates' shuffled. Just looked strange to me.

I'm all in favour of consistency for releases but I'm running out of shelf space so got to prefer thinner packs.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator

I noticed that, too. I thought it was kind of strange that Sony would send a picture like that when it was so obvious the cases were in the wrong order.

Anyway, I still prefer the bulky packs for Stargate. Normally for other shows I actually do prefer the thinpaks... but for Stargate? I think Stargate is too awesome of a show for it to just "blend in" in the packaging world. I like how the bulky packaging makes it "stand out".

It looks like opinions are pretty split on this...let's hope Sony can come up with something to make us all happy. Not very likely, but we can hope, right?

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
That may not have been a picture that Sony sent. It may have been a picture that one of the guys at TVShowsonDVD took and used. I doubt that Sony would have sent a picture of a DVD set not in its original 'gate' configuration'. But that may only be me. :)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Maybe when the series ends its broadcast run, and all seasons have been released on DVD, Sony/MGM will offer a special case for the entire series, like WB did with Friends. Assuming it would require at least 25 double-thin cases, there could still be an image spread across their spines, similar to the current box sets.

John*D

Second Unit
SUPER DUPER SERIES SET:

How about large Stargate where behind the Chevrons or the 8 locking mechanism's are a compartment for the discs...

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

The picture looked professional to me but perhaps David or Gord can let us know where they got the shot from just to satisfy our curiosity.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

It was something Sony sent us. Come on Alex, we're better than that ;) Dave wanted to Photoshop the file and place it in the proper order, but I told him it would take too long ;) I was surprised when that's the photo they sent out, 'cause it's obviously wrong.

Gord

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I can tell you guys from a previous experience that neither Gord nor Dave will use DVD artwork found from other sites or create them themselves.

I should know, I sent cover art to them from another site and their kind response was

"We don't pilfer artwork from other sites"

It's quite amusing that you guys think Dave and Gord didn't use original graphics provided by Sony.:D

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
for me, it was more such shock that sony (of all people) would provide such poor artwork, especially when they obviously went to such effort to make the side pictures line up in such a nice way. :)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Funny story about that...

We were once accused of faking the artwork for Survivor Season 1. Yeah....like we have time to fake an elaborate cover for a set. heh.

Gord

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard whether or not Sony is going to offer current owners of the previous DVD sets to purchase just the new packaging, DVD sleeves and the slipcase? I don't want to have to repurchase these sets with the new packaging.

Mark Rapp

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I, too, would prefer that Sony, at the very least, offer the full-size packaging. If not, I would be a very unhappy camper... :frowning:

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think Sony is going to say, so what. Screw the current owners of the sets and force them to buy the slimmer packaging ...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
If Sony releases anything, which I hope they do and I've asked them to consider doing it, it'll be the slim packaging. All the sets going forward will be slim packaging, along with the new repackaged sets. Offering the larger sets would require them to create new packaging JUST for that reason, which I don't see happening.

Gord

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I would love to be able to get the slimmer packages. It would take 1/2 the space or even less if they use 2 disc cases.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's like I said, I doubt Sony is ever going to consider giving the fans a chance/opportunity to just buy the new packaging minus the DVD's. It's just not the way I see Sony actually giving the fans a chance to acquire the new packaging ... I wish they would because I don't want to rebuy the sets all over again either ...

But, Sony isn't in the interest of pleasing fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks