What's new

Stargate Sg-1 and Atlantis newb question (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
I just picked up Season 1 of Sg-1 and I think it is a hoot. Quite good.. and for being nearly 10 years old the effects are top notch.

As I start to learn more and more about the Stargate Universe.. I find myself asking.. where does Atlantis fit into the timeline? After what Season of Sg-1 is it ok to watch Atlantis without contunity getting screwed? Does sg-1 discover Atlantis in a later season and then the series takes off from there?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Atlantis kind of runs concurrently with season 8 of SG-1 ... although the shows are supposed to occur about a few days to a week behind the SG-1 show.

Season 7 on SG-1 deals with looking for Atlantis ...

Regards

Arild

Supporting Actor
Watch the Atlantis pilot after the opening 2-parter (one double-lenght episode on DVD) of SG-1 Season 8. After that you can alternate between shows... Actually, after the beginning it doesn't really matter as long as you watch the last episode of SG-1 season 8 before the last episode of Atlantis season 1.

Man, I'm a geek.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator

Uh Oh.....this might cause a problem for me. I've only seen seasons 1-7 (and the 2 part opener for season 8) of SG-1, and I'm in the process of watching Atlantis Season One right now.

I don't have cable tv, so I just get the DVD Sets of SG-1 and watch it that way. I was able to see the season 8 two-part opening episode of SG-1, but that's the only episode from season 8 that I've seen.

I was able to get my hands on the first season of Atlantis, and I'm about halfway through it. I thought after I saw the first episode of SG-1 season 8, I'd be ok to watch Atlantis without worrying about spoilers and that type of thing for SG-1. But with what you said about watching the last episode of SG-1 season 8 before the last episode of Atlantis season 1....I'm a little concerned now. SG-1 Season 8 won't be released on DVD until Oct. 4th, and I'll be done with Atlantis season one by then, so I'm sure you can see my problem.

I don't want any spoilers...and I'm wondering if I would get any SG-1 spoilers by watching the last episode of Atlantis season one before the last episode of SG-1 season 8? I mean, they are set millions of miles apart... I don't see how they can be connected like that...

Can anyone give me any info, without giving me any spoilers? (I've seen SG-1 seasons 1-7 and the opening two-part episode of season 8, and I'm halfway through Atlantis season one.)

Arild

Supporting Actor
Well, trying to avoid actually spoiling it for you, I'll just say that if you watch the Atlantis finale first then you will know if SG-1's mission at the end of the season is a success or not. Also, there's the appearance of a certain... thing... in Atlantis which will come across as awfully convenient if you don't have the context from SG-1. But if you can live with that, feel free to keep watching Atlantis first. It still works pretty well on its own. :)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I watched all of Atlantis season 1 without ever seeing a single episode of SG-1. It works just fine on its own. Yeah, the finale has an SG-1 (season 8) spoiler in it (as I'm told) but I can live with that.

And now I'm going back and watching SG-1 from the beginning. I've finished season 1 and I'm half-way through season 2. I'm still watching season 2 of Atlantis and I've even started season 9 of SG-1. I'm not lost at all but now I know how the "future" turns out. Again, I can live with that. Each episode and the characters of SG-1 are interesting and fun enough that I enjoy them even with the little spoilers.

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator

If you can enjoy James Bond already knowing that he'll save the world and the get the girl, you'll be OK. If you can enjoy a World War II movie already knowing that the Germans and Japanese will lose, you'll be OK. If you can enjoy watching a sports movie knowing the underdog will win, you'll be OK. Nothing in Atlantis gives away any shocking spoilers.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you so much, everyone! I really appreciate the info. I'm going to go ahead and keep watching Atlantis, and just not worry about it. Since I'm always at least a year behind with SG-1, somehow I always manage to hear small spoilers(even though I try not to!), so I guess this won't really be any different.

I've really enjoyed the two Stargate threads that have been going on here. (This one, and the other one over in the TV on DVD forum.) I never go to any Stargate fan pages, forums, or anything like that, because I don't want spoilers for seasons that I haven't seen yet. So, it's been kind of nice to be able to participate in some Stargate talk, without too much worry of learning future storylines, etc. :)

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, everyone!

I love SG1 and love Atlantis even more. I've watched all the dvds of sg1 and atlantis (seasons 1 to 8 of sg1, season 1 of atlantis), so please don't give anything else away, but there is a question I wanted to ask.

Is there an official timeline for the Stargate Universe. Some of the events seem to not make sense from the time perspective. I hope I am wrong, but sometimes they seem to be off by a few million years. :)

Anyone care to discuss that, without giving away season 9 of sg1 and season 2 of Atlantis?

Stan

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
The show picks up where the movie left off but there is about a year in between the show and the movie. So the show in theory is about two years behind the timeline in our real world. But with that being said, the show has made no attempts at hiding the fact that it runs along with our current "real world" timeline.

The episode 2010, which aired in Season 4, in 2001, I think they mention at some point in the episode that it's about 10 years since they met this new alien and such. I don't remember the specifics.

In any case, it should run with our current timeline, 2005 for us equals 2005 for them. I don't think the timeline is supposed to make real sense, look at the show 24, they're about 5 years in the future at this point. :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Some episodes take place over a few days ... other episodes can take months and months ...

Some episodes run for years ... then we find out it was a dream and only one day passed. :)

The Citizen Joe episode more or less puts all events back into perspective ...

Regards

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of the time scale of the back story regarding Ancients, Great Alliance, etc.

The events seem to occur somewhere between several million years ago and several thousand years ago.

For instance, we're told that Ancients ascended about eight to ten thousand years ago, most likely as a solution to the plague, yet we're told by Anubis is that there is an ancient weapon (in season 8) that was used to restore life to the galaxy after the plague. Yet, human beings have been aroudn for a lot longer than several thousand years...
those types of abstruse questions :)

I am curious if there is some official timeline somewhere of the entire back story.

Thanks,
Stan

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
This site seems to be the only one that I could find that tries to make sense out of the whole timeline stuff:
Stargate Timeline

As for the timeline stuff you're looking for I have no idea, I don't think there has been an official timeline put online somewhere by the producers/writers. So unless you work for/with the crew or know Peter Deluise or someone we won't see one for a bit I'm sure.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks,

Good site, although they are careful to avoid giving dates. We'll see what the coming seasons reveal.

Stan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks