What's new

Stargate Atlantis (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I chalk it up to establishing the characters. Rather then overwhelm the audience with a lot of info and a lot of character development, they're trying to establish the team and the players first. This is no different than any first season...Angel, Buffy, etc.

In any event, I think Atlantis is shaping up nicely. I actually liked this weeks Atlantis better than SG1.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

As did I. It was close though, as SG-1 did have Pierre Bernard from Late Night with Conan O'Brien in a cameo. :)

De

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

That was classic. I was so glad to see the cameo :)

I wish I had that clip from his trip to the set on Conan. That was great stuff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I agree. I'm confident that SG:Atlantis will improve -- the early SG:SG-1 episodes are a bit clunky in retrospect. But as much as I enjoy the shows, I do have some impatience watching the latest repetition of standard sci-fi TV plots. I want SG:Atlantis to jump ahead to the third season, when it's really interesting. Then it can come back to seasons one and two, as a prologue and fill in the back story. :)

That's unreasonable, I know, but that's how I feel about it.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I would say that one problem with SG-A is that its on right after SG-1. SG-1 is a mature show with an established fan base while SG-A is just getting started. It is too easy to compare them when they are shown back to back. I mean last week's unseen menance plot lines playing one after each other doesn't make SG-A look good or original. Maybe it should be shown on another night.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

That's not gonna happen. The back-to-back shows have been ratings gangbusters for SciFi. The highest ratings they've ever had in the history of the network. I rather enjoy having one-stop Stargate watching at one time. :)

Dulcie_L

Auditioning
Just want to say 'Hi' and tell you all how delighted I am to finally find a forum for mature discussion about Stargate/Stargate Atlantis...

I'm certainly giving SGA a shot. So far, so good.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Dulcie

Dulcie_L

Auditioning
Thanks Matt!

BTW, scifi.com had the conan segment available for download for a while, but I can't find it there now. However, I do have it - it's a bit over 6M. If you'd like me to email it to you, contact me privately :)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Unfortunately you may be right. It just goes to show that Sci Fi shows, for the most part, a lot of garbage the other nights and Friday is their "tent pole" night. A look at their evening schedule shows how much SG-1 there is per week. How long can they use Monday for SG-1 repeats? I've seen seasons 1-5 more then once. I rarely watch the channel Tuesday-Thursday and almost never on the weekends. The recent mini-series month was the notable exception because it allowed me to watch "Taken" in one sitting.

That being said some of the future programs they are promoting seem interesting and I am looking forward to the new "Battlestar Galactica" (flame suit on). Fingers crossed.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I didn't realize there was such an interest in the ratings. Here ya go, from www.gateworld.net:

"The premieres of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis led The SCI FI Channel to its best July ever, the network reported today. the cable network averaged a 1.1 primetime household rating, with double-digit increases in key demographics. July also brought the network its seventh consecutive month of ratings records.

An average of 1.3 million people tuned in to SCI FI programming this month, making it ninth overall among ad-supported basic cable channels.

Leading the charge was the world premiere of spin-off series Stargate Atlantis, which drew more than 4 million viewers on July 16."

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I just with they had had ratings that good for better Sci Fi such as Farscape. From what I have seen of this show it's ok best.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize SG-1 had the "stuck in the stargate" plot so this one was the first for me and it was awesome! Very interesting and unnerving.

I'm having such a blast with the SG universe right now.

Dulcie_L

Auditioning
Well, sort of... Teal'c got stuck entirely in the Stargate in '48 Hours'. This is the first time we've seen something stuck partway in, but fair enough.

I've been a Stargate fan since the beginning - at least when I could get it. I've enjoyed Farscape too, though I found myself losing interest a bit in the later seasons. I Tivo Farscape, but it sometimes takes me a while to get around to watching them. Stargate? I plan Friday evening around it.

I certainly don't have the same feeling for the Atlantis characters that I do the Stargate characters, but they're growing on me. McKay *is* annoying, but I can live with him. Weir bugs me a bit, but that may be simply because another actress I liked better in the role played her at the end of Season 7. I'm trying to give her a chance.

I leave Sci-Fi on quite a bit and catch the odd, interesting thing from time to time. I never saw the new incarnation of Dune and Children of Dune the first time around and caught them during the mini-series month.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm giving it a chance I've only caught a few Stargate's I've liked the show but could never follow it on Showtime so I never jumped into it. I never was introduced to these characters from SG1 so I cannot be dissapointed by former actors that might have played them. But both Weir and the Main male character kinda reak of stiff acting. Maybe they will get better as time goes on. I don't know how much of this was given a buildup on SG1 but it did seem odd that the crew could go into Atlantis and within a Few hours be running the thing like it was thier own complex. And the whole show has a very weird DS9/Trek vibe to it even down to the Runaboutlike Puddle jumpers.

The show also suffers from Stargate SG1 locotion-itis, in other words they are always in the forst of Vancouver and it looks it.

I'll give it a chance thou. At least until Enterprise shows back up.

Dulcie_L

Auditioning

No kidding! When they went back to the Wraith planet in the last ep, I thought: It's... it's... the Alpha Base!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks