What's new

Stargate: Atlantis Season 2 (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I personally feel this season of SGA is pretty lackluster. There have been too many generic "Star Trek" type plots this season.

Last week's episode is a perfect example. A couple crew get taken over by alien personalities, misrepresent themselves and cause trouble. To be honest, you could probably shoehorn that plot into any SF show and make it work.

I like the characters well enough, but they really need to give these guys something to DO.

Jason

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Somewhat true, it seems now that the wraith are basically out of the picture, there's no real main purpose of the expedition. They need some big goal, something they are working towards.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Well considering that they just rearmed the station with those ancient missile devices ... one has to think that something is up.

Every episode ... even if it appears to stand alone, seems to have some elements that further the overall story arc.

With the Genii coming back this week ... there is more wraith related stuff ... directly or indirectly.

(Although how many times can the group be taken prisoner by these guys. :) )

Regards

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ok one thing I have never understood. They have access to the Atlantis database, isn't there any information concerning how the drones were made? You would think they would be able to manufacture some of their own by this time.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
john, where you getting the idea that they defeated wraiths? they're gonna be a key plot-point in the season finale =).

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yes, this past episode was very generic and nothing much happened. Time to move the story forward!

I still love both SG shows though. I love Sci-fi Friday.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
some of the newer eps will move the story fwd =). although, the season finale is actually VERY similar to the one from season1. kinda sad that it was so.

i also hope they'd do a ronin story sometime in season3. i'd love see where he came from/what made him so tough, etc.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yi, I didn't say or mean defeated, just out of the picture. Since the Wraith have been fooled into thinking Atlantis is destroyed, we haven't heard or seen much of them. Not that I want to, I haven't been a real fan of the Wraith. They kinda wore out their welcome quickly for me, like the Borg did on ST. But, since they've been out of the picture, it seems the expedition has been kinda meandering, not really going after a specific goal, or even methodically cataloging the various worlds in the Pegasus galaxy, like SG-1 was doing for all those years.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, they're coming back in a big way in the season finale =).

i think taking ford and making him a uber hybrid thingajig was gutsy. i hope to see more of that character.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

Easy to understand when SG1 now has 9 seasons under its belt while SGA only has 2. A fairer comparison would be to compare the 2 series season by season. I think the first 5 seasons of SG1 (the Showtime years) were the best and had some really dramatic moments. I'd really like to see, though, how much is spent on both series - I'm betting that beyond the leading stars' salaries, much more is spent on SGA than SG1.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
re: i didn't like the first 5 seasons of SG1. i really believe SG1 fans are divided into two groups: before and after season5. why?

before season5 group: they like consistency. week after week, same ole' thing, no big shakeups. just entertainment after entertainment. don't need to strive for bigger story lines/threads.

after season5 group: they like characters to grow, mature and become much more than they are, etc. they love story arcs/conflict-resolution over a long period of time.

that's why on the current season9, half hate it half loves it. one loves consistency and want to expect certains things (like alias fans) vs. people who like it all shook up.

as for "dramatic moments". can you specify which ones? i can't because those were the seasons i almost stopped watching cause i was so bored out of my mind (as you can see, i lean more towards post season5 group). there were more drama moments when jackson left, ancients and when anubis was snooping around than same ole gu'aulds.

re: $. if you've been watching the making-ofs from DVD of both series, they actually share a lot of the costs of production. they produce the show right next to each other in separate buildings. they also shoot on location in many of the locales that XF used to shoot on actually =).

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Interesting episode last week with "Trip" from Enterprise. I hadn't watched the previews from the week before so I had no idea what this episode was going to be about (much better this way).

I was wondering where they were going with this new character so it was a cool surprise to learn he used to be a wraith being transformed into a human.

Needless to say, things didn't work out the way they wanted and now the wraith know Atlantis exists...

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Spoilers about the season finale:

"trip" comes back in the season finale =). he's involved in a big way. he's supposedly due to make more appearances in s3.

(Admin note - please use spoiler text if you're going to reveal spoilers about upcoming episodes.)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I can't speak for anyone else but for me the reason that the first 5 seasons are more special is because of namely 2 reasons - 1. the move from Showtime to Sci-Fi, and 2. Drastic changes meant to refresh didn't.

1. The move - there's a noticeable shift after season 5 in the realm of sets, props, and special effects. There are numerous examples, season 6 and beyond, when a space battle is inferred, but not shown. Seasons 1-5 would have most likely shown at least SOMETHING.

They've certainly done some cool things season 6 and beyond, but a lot more sparingly - and it's noticeable.

2. Drastic changes - I don't think any longtime fans of SG1 want the characters to stay stagnant, they want them grow and mature, but there have been drastic changes beyond just the central characters. The complete upheaval from the Egyptian mythos to the Arthurian. The fact that gates are now partially buried (starting with Atlantis) but yet the wormhole does not desintigrate the ground.

Oh, the complete rehash of ideas - Arthur's Mantle being a ripoff of Crystal Skull, and not a great one at that (and they've never explained why people 'out of phase' can still walk around as if their feet were still 'in phase').

As far as dramatic moments, I can name many, several that come to mind are when O'Neil shoots the creator of the replicators - Daniel wanted to let her live, but O'Neil knew that it was too dangerous. O'Neil's order to Carter to allow a Naquidah bomb to overload to blow up an automated spaceship terraforming an inhabited planet. The first time Apophis comes to Earth, en mass, to blow it up and SG1 must defy orders and stargate to the fleet in order to stop it. I will admit there have been a couple of moments post season 5 that have been dramatic, Origin being one of them, but overall, there hasn't been the tension that was available before. What was special about seasons 1-5 was the dynamic between the characters, especially between O'Neil and Jackson.

I still find SG1 entertaining. I like Atlantis - it's slightly fresher, and has some decent effects, but it's clear that the thrusters aren't on full blast, and SG1 will probably close shop after season 10, or 11.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
kev, i'm sure. =). SGA's finale will kick total arse! =). be prepared.

re: pre-s5. i see you're one of those s5 and before. well, your two points fits perfectly with my theory. you didn't like the 'refresh/change'. you're definitely in the pre-s5 camp. i loved it and i thought it worked, thus i'm in the post-s5 camp. either way it's entertaining show but doesn't strive to be somn like XF.

re: ideas. awww c'mon. the egyptian stuff wasn't all that original to begin with =). again, proves my theory. it's just not the 'same ole first 5 seasons of SG1' therefore it must be bad =*(.

re: dramatic moments. yeah but you can't compare those that you listed to 1 ep of lost even =). it's just entertainment and doesn't strive to go beyond it. yesh the chemistry is nice... but it doesn't strive beyond entertainment. just positive message.

SGA kicked off to a MUCH stronger start than SGA =). i love it!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Please use spoilers for discussing upcoming events in future episodes. Don't be careless and spoil future events for other fans of the show.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
YiFeng, it doesn't seem you're understanding what is considered a spoiler on this forum. Read back in the thread to see what is now enclosed in spoiler tags. It doesn't matter how many web sites talk about something that's upcoming. Unless it has aired, it is a spoiler. Web sites, previews of next week's episodes, etc. are all SPOILER material that some people avoid intentionally, and shouldn't be openly discussed here. If we don't get stuck in debate mode, it seems easy to me to just put the spoiler tags around anything that hasn't aired in the U.S. yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks