What's new

Stargate 3hour + Movie version (1 Viewer)

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Hello to all forum members i wanted to ask any of you if you know of the 3+hour Version of Stargate the movie!

For years i heard of this version of the movie more or less a rough cut, that was said to be way above the movie it became. I have tried to find this movie everywhere even the almighty "Ebay" does not have it? (anymore at least) I looked at the internet movie database.com and found a webpage for it and in the user comments, only one person had this longer version but i could not find or contact him. This movie is being seen by fans and film lovers, but i haven't tracked it down or seen it myself yet.

But i have read an article on it that was on Sc-fi Universe magazine of June 1995 issue and it was said to be better than the theatrical version, by those that have seen it.

The last i saw of it was a comic convention, since then i have not come across it since!

Does anyone own it or know of anyone who has a copy in good condition and has all the scenes intact. Because i would like to see this longer version which is said to be better than the Special edition DVD as this rare rough cut is in the same class as other hard to find rough cuts like "Apocalypse Now 5 hour cut" "Alien 3 longer version" Godfather extended TV cuts" and so on!

So unless one of you out there is a big "Stargate fan!" or is like the "Comic book Guy" in the Simpsons and has a basement full of bootlegs,(i didn't really say that!) looks like i'm back to, looking at movie and comic conventions again!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Other than the DC version that's out on DVD and VHS (and it's only 9 minutes longer than the theatrical cut) I had not heard of a longer version of this movie, especially not one that approaches three hours in length! If anyone else knows about this cut, please speak up, I too loved this movie.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Jason,

I own the SE DVD and the VHS SE that came with the CD-ROM (this has more stuff on it than the DVD!). Have you checked that out? I would love to see the 3 hour version of Stargate!!

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Guys trust me it exists! get the June 1995 "Sci-fi Universe magazine" back issue! (it also has a great article on Battlestar Galactica and BSG Vs Star Wars)and check the Stargate movie user comments on www.IMDB.com somebody has on the second page has seen it!

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brad, thanks for the info on the CD! Is this CD-Rom still availible after so many years? what does the cover look like?, how will i know this CD-Rom from other Stargate stuff like the TV Series merchandise? Does the SE VHS come with it still? how much in US Dollars did it cost?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jason, that 3+ version of the film that the user on IMDB saw was a rough, pre-release cut of the movie, not another version of it. Most movies are much longer before the final editing. This 3+ version you're talking about has never existed and will (most likely) never exist.

/Mike

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Mike. Kind of like the American Pie pre-release version that was supposedly way longer, raunchier, and funnier. Unfortunately the "Unrated" version wasn't anything to write home about...although the alternate pie scene was hilarious.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
But this version has been sold at comic conventions? I realise an ultimate rough cut copy turning up is a long shot, but trust me when i say alot of people brought this longer 3hour cut at comic conventions before it sold out!

The Dealer i talked to said he use to have it and there were alot of copies since dealers are "tight" and are always sharing information and movie titles.

With the recent connections people make on the web. There is alot of trading that goes on!

I understand your sceptic questions, but don't lose faith guys looking for these longer movies take time! thats why there is a term called "Rare"

Keep the questions and information coming, maybe someone out there can help?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
trust me when i say alot of people brought this longer 3hour cut at comic conventions before it sold out!
Well, then you'll have to look where bootlegs are sold.
Although I find it hard to believe that a bootleg of a rough, unfinished cut exists, I wish you good luck with your search. :)
Since you're a new member I probably should remind you that discussion of illegal copies of movies and how to obtain them is not accepted in this forum.
/Mike

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Hey Brad, thanks for the info on the CD! Is this CD-Rom still availible after so many years? what does the cover look like?, how will i know this CD-Rom from other Stargate stuff like the TV Series merchandise? Does the SE VHS come with it still? how much in US Dollars did it cost?
The SE VHS with CD-ROM is in a larger cardboard box display that has a cover flap. It has a gold border that says, "Letterbox Version Special Edition" on top and on the bottom it says, "Includes 'Secrets of Stargate' An Interactive CD-Rom. In the flap, it has a picture of Anubis with a slit in the middle where the CD-Rom is. I don't remember how much I paid for it since it was so long ago. Who knows if they even sell it any more. It has a ton of interviews, makings of, stills, and the like. Plus, (on the VHS) there is a short documentary before the movie, a trailer, and then the movie. Running Time is 128 minutes.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's old news, and no it does not contain the 3 hour cut, nor the additional scenes

Well, then you'll have to look where bootlegs are sold.Although I find it hard to believe that a bootleg of a rough, unfinished cut exists, I wish you good luck with your search.
Indeed it does, though I have never seen it myself. There's also a 5 hour cut of Apocalypse Now and the Alien 3 workprint floating around

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

But in this case the term is bootleg. It is illegal, traded under tables, and not officially available. If you do find it it will more than likely have time code running somewhere and nothing close to a finished soundtrack as it's probably just a dump of the first cut right out of the Avid.

But, I still question why people want to see something that was just the first assemblage of footage for a movie that wasn't cut due to any other reasons than the filmmakers wanted to make it a better movie.

As was said, every movie has a rough assemblage of footage that will change greatly before it's released. Besides cutting out footage (that may be redundant or just plain unnecessary) many scenes are reworked and recut to make them better.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's something fun to see and have I think is the bottom line
Frankly, I'm not brave enough for 5 hours of apocalypse Now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks