What's new

Star Wars Trilogy VHS Widescreen Edition - Bootleg? (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I won an eBay auction last week for the set released in 1995, and I got it in the mail today. The packaging looks and feels authentic, but when I popped in the tapes, I noticed that the video was off-center and to the left, it was too bright, and the audio didn't sound that great. I can excuse the audio being bad because I'm used to DVD quality audio, but the off-center video and brightness have me worrying.

Here's the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=2235136582

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Videotapes recorded in Hi-Fi Stereo should actually sound pretty good (near CD quality).

How do the labels on the tapes look?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The labels on the tapes look authentic. However, the tapes themselves are not the same. At the top of the tape for ESB, it has the "Insert this side into recorder ^ Do not touch the tape inside" thing, but the tapes for ANH and ROTJ don't have that. I know that they "mass produced" this and may have gotten tapes from more than one manufacturer, but who knows, maybe they didn't. The proof of purchase sticker on the box matches up with the catalog numbers on the labels on all of the tapes.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The lack of the "Insert This Side Into Recorder" blurb on the tape shell (in itself) is not an indicator of "Bootlegged" material.

I have many legit VHS Tapes that don't have this written on them.
e.g.: Many of FOX Home Video's "Studio Classics" VHS releases lack this wording on the tape casings. And these shells, IMO, seem a little better (sturdier) than most VHS tapes that do contain the words on them.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
David, I wasn't implying that the text might have been an indicator that it was a bootleg, but that the text only appeared on one of the tapes.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I was fortunate enough to find these in new condition about 7 yrs ago at a Best Buy that had a box of 'em left. Only complaint was that vol IV had some interference in the image, a sort of 'wrinkle' that started at the middle of the frame & moved to the bottom every few secs.

Never heard of the problems you're talking about.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've got that exact same set that I bought new God only knows how long ago. I can double check anything on them you'd like to compare against.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Well, for starters, please just and see if everything is off-center to the left. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks