What's new

Star Wars- The Definitive DVD set (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Lane F.:
Right!
I wonder how Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand feel about this? Empire and Jedi can not even be considered 'Director's Cuts'. True that the other directors were mainly just given credit because of contractual disputes, but the point still remains that Lucas alone did not make these films great, and he should have more respect for art (even if he does own it outright).
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 29, 2001 at 03:11 AM]

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I've been following this topic for a while. Lucas can legally change the films as he pleases. He might lose some viewers, but financially, he can afford that. Some people will worship Lucas and the films regardless of their level of storytelling and quality. Others will hate him regardless of what he does as well. I agree that Lucas was not alone in his endeavors to make these films. While most people will freely admit that he was the guiding force, he is changing the work of others. However, he does have the legal right to do so. Whether he should or not is the debate. The films are his, but the cultural status is ours (the viewers). No matter, better and more important films are in the pike for release. I am excited to get the Star Wars DVD's, but I would trade any and all of them for Fight Club or Braveheart. And they are available.
Anyways, I don't mind minor (MINOR) cosmetic changes, but I disagree with altering the story. George's talent has always been his vision, not his directorial skills. I am interested in his changes, but they have resulted in less dramatic movies, and less likeable characters.
C'est la vie! I have the originals.
Chuck

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Since the changes have already been made, I wonder if they can CGI a diaper on Luke when he jumps down the shaft in Empire.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif

------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree that he can change them, but probably shouldn't. However, stories have been told and retold throughout the ages. Authors constantly revise their works and editors often do so after the author's death. This has been an accepted practice in publishing for as long as the printed word has been around. We have no say in the matter. We're just gonna have to get used to Greedo shooting first and Luke screaming like a baby.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I thought I heard that Luke screaming like a baby was from the original 70mm sound mix of Empire... wasn't it?
I recall reading somewhere that most of the little differences and quirks in the audio of the three films could be traced back to the fact that they used the 70mm mixes as a starting point (because they were multichannel discrete mixes).
As to Greedo shooting first, I think that was a horrible change to make. However, most of the other alterations are not as intrusive, annoying or stupid.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
For me, it somes down to having the orignals. Lucas can create as many Special Editions as he chooses; just make the originals available. This reminds me of the OAR vs. pan and scan problem: no matter what you do and no matter how many pan and scans they make, keep the the OAR available for all titles. Having the ORIGNAL film in every crucial way is what counts!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I thought I heard that Luke screaming like a baby was from the original 70mm sound mix of Empire... wasn't it?
No, that scream was taken directly from Return of the Jedi, when the Emperor is thrown down the reactor shaft by Vader.
If Lucas had gotten Mark Hamill into a studio to record his screaming, I would have no problem with it. But since he used Ian McDirmaid's voice for Luke, it sounds really stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks