What's new

Star Wars: The Clone Wars- Season Three (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I read something about a certain character from The Phantom Menace being seen soon. Maybe that will be part of the origin story. Or, maybe I didn't know what I was reading.

Darth Maul

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Yeah, it's

Darth Maul's brother named Savage Opress.

That could be a cool episode and since they're playing it in some theaters around the country, I'm hoping that means that episode is a real winner. However, I think I'm more interested in the Asajj Ventress episodes which uses the

Night Sisters, who are a group of dark side Force users,

from the expanded universe.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Using the Nightsisters of Dathomir is pretty freaking cool, actually (being a big fan of that one novel they appeared in), but it sounds like they're planning to contradict the Ventress-origin that appeared back in 2003, in the SW: Republic comic book, which was quite well done.

Still, it could be very interesting, nonetheless.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I have to agree with you, it has not held me as much as the first and second seasons. I can't quite put my finger on it; I think it lacks focus, and compared to the first couple of seasons, scale.

Originally Posted by Kazz

I am a little disappointed in this season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

I can't quite put my finger on it...

I can- Senators or politics have been the focus of 7 of the 11 episodes this year. In terms of significant appearances (the character playing a part in the main story and not just having a scene), Padme has been in 5 episodes, Ahsoka has been in 3, Obi-Wan has been in 2 and Anakin has been in 1.

It's not hard to imagine that there are some HUGE episodes coming in the second half of the season but, unless those episodes weren't finished yet, they made a big error in having this many political themed episodes when the show is an action series primarily aimed at young boys.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by TravisR

I can't quite put my finger on it...

I can- Senators or politics have been the focus of 7 of the 11 episodes this year. In terms of significant appearances (the character playing a part in the main story and not just having a scene), Padme has been in 5 episodes, Ahsoka has been in 3, Obi-Wan has been in 2 and Anakin has been in 1.

It's not hard to imagine that there are some HUGE episodes coming in the second half of the season but, unless those episodes weren't finished yet, they made a big error in having this many political themed episodes when the show is an action series primarily aimed at young boys.

[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what is wrong this year, Travis.

It sure has kept the young boy in me away. I have not watched the last 3 or 4 episodes, at all. Just deleted them from my DVR, after i read the "plot" of the story. A friend of mine noticed it is full of secondary characters too, while the hero will show up for a minute at the beginning, Gunsmoke style. :)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I agree, the focus on the political drama and people besides Anakin and Obi Wan are really dragging this season down. The episodes aren't bad, they're just dull. Had these episodes been sprinkled throughout the season or perhaps two seasons they would be much more enjoyable but bunched all together they're very boring.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's a new episode this week and it also moves to 8:30 PM. The move is good news for me and my buddy because we can watch Clone Wars without it running into Fringe or Supernatural... or the unlikely event of either us going out and doing something social.

This week begins the Asajj Ventress origin and is, apparently, a return to form with cool stuff happening. And to correct my earlier posts, the new character (to continue to keep it spoiler free) episode and the 3 episode Ventress arc are one and the same.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Still rather terrible. Can we get back to clones, wars, and our main cast? I guess this season is an experiment to see if the focus can be shifted away from all of that, and the answer is no as far as I'm concerned. I have a habit of sticking with shows long after I've lost interest, but I'm close to the limit with this one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought the last two episodes were actually pretty good. Nothing amazing but they were easily the highpoints of the season for me. It was nice to see episodes focusing almost entirely on the bad guys. I do understand how people want to see the main cast and ground or space battles again though.

And it's pretty sweet to hear Clancy Brown playing Savage Opress.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't know that. I'll listen for him next time. I don't think you're alone in liking these episodes, judging from other forums. They just didn't interest me that much for some reason. One problem with the most recent one was that all the Darth Mauls looked alike, so I only knew which ones we were supposed to focus on when they were speaking. And then, it was a completely obvious outcome the moment Opress told his brother not to make himself obvious. We knew it would end up brother vs. brother, and that with him reputed to be the big, new evil guy, he'd kill him. I'm hearing the name Katie Lucas a lot this year. I don't know if she just wrote these three episodes, which are admittedly better than what came before, or if she is somehow in charge of this season's direction (which seems to be the implication in other forums). If the latter is more than just a conspiracy theory, then I guess the ship won't be righted. Once the director's kid is entrenched, that's that. Being Star Wars, it's probably a bit of hysteria. I tried to look into her involvement, but the links that came up were only about this trilogy (that might tell me something).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

I didn't know that. I'll listen for him next time. I don't think you're alone in liking these episodes, judging from other forums. They just didn't interest me that much for some reason. One problem with the most recent one was that all the Darth Mauls looked alike, so I only knew which ones we were supposed to focus on when they were speaking. And then, it was a completely obvious outcome the moment Opress told his brother not to make himself obvious. We knew it would end up brother vs. brother, and that with him reputed to be the big, new evil guy, he'd kill him. I'm hearing the name Katie Lucas a lot this year. I don't know if she just wrote these three episodes, which are admittedly better than what came before, or if she is somehow in charge of this season's direction (which seems to be the implication in other forums). If the latter is more than just a conspiracy theory, then I guess the ship won't be righted. Once the director's kid is entrenched, that's that. Being Star Wars, it's probably a bit of hysteria. I tried to look into her involvement, but the links that came up were only about this trilogy (that might tell me something).

Katie Lucas is credited with writing an episode in S1, two episodes that were produced in S2 (but didn't air until this season) and then this 3 episode arc from this year. I've seen Dave Filoni (the show's supervising director/guy who makes the calls after George Lucas) say that he knows that many fans want more action episodes and they're coming soon.

Overall, I don't think anyone forced a change in the show. I think the problem is that the holdover episodes from S2 (they produced 26 episodes in S2 but aired 22 so the 4 'extra' episodes got moved to S3) were almost all politically-themed episodes. Moving those episodes made for a cool final third of S2 but when coupled with the policitical episodes of S3, it resulted in a boring first half of S3.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That was pretty good. I liked the homage to the droid escape pod from ANH, less the "you ask the impossible" callback. It was a good contrast between Yoda's methods and a Sith's, I guess. I like that Dooku wasn't a fool and fully expected Savage Oprahs to betray him. It was nice to have Ben Kenobi back. That guy does a good job with the voice.

The next trilogy looks good. I'm a little surprised the Qui-Gon story is already here.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Enjoyed the three episodes overall esp like the main Night Sister character - obviously remember that design from pre Phantom Menace :)

Much improved since last month's episodes

EricW

Senior HTF Member
interesting episode, was this "Force Hideaway" an entirely new creation or was it ever in the extended universe?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
question i've always wondered is, do the clone wars take alot from the EE, or for the most part are they making their own backstories? obviously they've taken alot from the Tartakovsky series since they're covering the same period, but what about historical stuff? like the Sisterhood, or was Bane the Bounty Hunter ever in anything else?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm far from an expert, but the Nightsisters were seen in a post-ROTJ book called "The Courtship of Princess Leia." As far as I know, Bane was invented for the show, but there is an unrelated character called Darth Bane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks