What's new

Star Wars Prequels Box Set Coming..... (1 Viewer)

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
There is a rumor on the Digital Bits site that a five disc Star Wars 3D boxed set is in the works for the fall. This would include the prequels and The Force Awakens. Lets hope this is true as it sounds doable as we know 3D conversions exist for all these films. Please Disney take my money. http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/080116_1400

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Seems so strange to release a set leaving out 3 of the films...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I gotta get 3 crappy Star Wars movies I'll never watch (even in 3D) just to own The Force Awakens?

Sounds like highway robbery to me.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It would be idiotic of Disney to not make TFA 3D available as a stand-alone release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It would be idiotic of Disney to not make TFA 3D available as a stand-alone release.

Not quite idiotic if they force the public to buy all the films at once before they are sold separately.

Not the first time this kind of thing has been done (think about the Spielberg set with its exclusives).

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Possibly, but I don't think there are many people who would buy the 3D prequels just to get TFA. I think that most would probably be prequel fans who would by Episodes I-III in 3D anyway, but you never know. Personally speaking, if Disney does go down that road, I will NOT be buying the prequels again. Period. I don't care if they're 3D. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I don't want those prequels.

I know Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope was converted to 3D years ago as it was being shown off at a trade show. I saw some of it.

However, I don't know if it was just a segment of the film that was converted for demo purposes, or the entire film was converted.

I would easily buy the first three films (episodes 4-6) in 3D, but certainly not those god-awful prequels.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We're totally on the same page! If the OT was released in 3D I'd be in, but with Disney's weirdness surrounding their 3D Blu-ray policy in North America who knows what will happen.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Even not being set up for 3-D, I think Disney's 3-D policy for North America is totally effed up! I wanted to get FROZEN (2014) in 3-D on the off off chance we ever upgrade to 3-D (You never know!), but no dice, and for a set which also includes an animated short that in my opinion, SCREAMS for 3-D!

I'd say if Disney's going to issue any of the Star Wars Films besides THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015) to 3-D, it SHOULD be the original trilogy!

CHEERS! :)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Even not being set up for 3-D, I think Disney's 3-D policy for North America is totally effed up! I wanted to get FROZEN (2014) in 3-D on the off off chance we ever upgrade to 3-D (You never know!), but no dice, and for a set which also includes an animated short that in my opinion, SCREAMS for 3-D!

I'd say if Disney's going to issue any of the Star Wars Films besides THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015) to 3-D, it SHOULD be the original trilogy!

CHEERS! :)
This is why I keep an eye on amazon.co.uk Disney sales. That's how I got Frozen and Maleficent in 3D, as well as Big Hero 6. The UK releases (with the exception of Ratatouille; WTF, Pixar?) are all-region.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I know Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope was converted to 3D years ago as it was being shown off at a trade show. I saw some of it.

However, I don't know if it was just a segment of the film that was converted for demo purposes, or the entire film was converted.
The prequels were converted to 3-D a few years ago but I'm pretty sure that only a few segments of the OT were done as a test or for a demo. With the current state of 3-D, I doubt they're going to ever convert the OT to 3-D. If Lucasfilm hadn't finished the conversions of the prequels before selling off Star Wars, I doubt Disney would have converted any more of the movies.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My guess is that this will not be marketed with the word "prequel" anywhere in sight. It will be called "Star Wars: The 3D Collection," or something similar.

Also, releasing this without the three films of the original trilogy tells me that those films will never be converted to 3D.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I might consider this since I definitely want TFA in 3D and would not mind having both TPM and ROTS in 3D. That TPM pod race in 3D is probably sweet!

As for AOTC, it puts me to sleep until we get to the coliseum. But from that point forward it would probably have some nice 3D popouts.

So, yeah! Sign me up!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is just a ploy so that if/when the set doesn't sell well they can say "see we tried to give you a 3D release but there's no interest for 3D and this is proof"

Rumor has it that was an old strategy Disney employed for widescreen VHS releases. They got requests but released lower interest titles in widescreen so they could claim that widescreen didn't sell well.

MikeDE

Second Unit
I'm in the minority, but I hope this comes out soon, and I'll pick it up on release day. 3D will put a little spark in these films that I've seen too many times, so bring it on.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I wouldn't worry about having to buy the prequels if you don't want them because even if this rumor is true, they'll eventually sell the 3-D discs individually.
Hard to say but I have a sneaking suspicion that Disney has a warehouse full of the prequel trilogy Blus that they haven't been able to sell and this might be a rather underhanded ploy to move these Blus and get some $$ for them. Even if a large percentage of those prequel Blus end up being used as coasters.

I rather enjoyed the prequels myself back in the day but now I can see how el-crappo the plot lines and acting were.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Hard to say but I have a sneaking suspicion that Disney has a warehouse full of the prequel trilogy Blus that they haven't been able to sell and this might be a rather underhanded ploy to move these Blus and get some $$ for them. Even if a large percentage of those prequel Blus end up being used as coasters.

I rather enjoyed the prequels myself back in the day but now I can see how el-crappo the plot lines and acting were.
Not likely. If anyone has a warehouse full of prequel BDs, it's Fox, who hold physical and theatrical distribution rights until 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks