What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
wlq7w.jpg

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_ghost

It was always my understanding that a Jedi becoming a Force Ghost was a very rare thing. I always assumed Obi-wan was one of the first to become one in ANH, which is why Vader seemed surprised by his body's disappearance. Also, in ROTS, Yoda alludes to Qui-Gon coming to him and giving info on learning how to become one. This is why I'm somewhat puzzled that Anakin returned as a Force ghost at the end of Jedi.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The real reason that Anakin is a Force ghost is because they needed to have a happy ending for the dead old guys :) but I guess an in-universe reason could be that since Anakin was the chosen one, he was so strong in the Force that he was able to do it without having to learn (like Yoda and Obi-Wan had to).

Yes, and why does Annakin get to be young again while Ben is stuck forever as an old man ghost? There's no logic to it. I'm not going to try and find a logic to it. It's wacky Lucas.
So illogical that even the original version of ROTJ has Anakin as a ghost in a version of himself that never existed.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I once heard it stated that in the revised version, it has the younger Anakin because that's how Anakin looked when he was on the right side of the force, so his force ghost would be that of "good Anakin" rather than "bad Vader". Whichever explanation you go for, whichever version of the film, it's all a bit sketchy. Travis' explanation is undoubtedly the real reason.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think I once heard it stated that in the revised version, it has the younger Anakin because that's how Anakin looked when he was on the right side of the force, so his force ghost would be that of "good Anakin" rather than "bad Vader".
Yeah, I don't like the change but it does make more sense in the special edition. Although I would say that he is inarguably Anakin when he kills the Emperor and eventually dies so if someone becomes a Force ghost looking like they did when they died, Anakin should be old, bald and scarred rather than old with hair or young Revenge Of The Sith Anakin.

I guess it's not a stretch to say that if they have the power to become a ghost in the first place that they could also choose how they appear. Apparently, Obi-Wan and Yoda weren't as vain as Anakin.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Who knows what'll happen, but I'd be overjoyed at a force ghost Yoda in Episode VIII.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just hope that they leave the chosen one aspect of the Lucas movies alone. Saying that Anakin isn't the chosen one is like the godawful Terminator 3 taking the positive message that Jim Cameron came up with for his movies (there is no fate but what we make for ourselves) and saying that that was wrong so they could turn out sequels.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I don't buy it - Andy Serkis, who plays Snoke, has said that it's an all-new character, and not a character that we've ever seen or met before.
As I said, I don't go with this idea, or follow that path.

My idea or feeling from the beginning was Darth Plagueis, but even that is just what it is: a theory.

If it is really a new character I hope they not come up with something stupid. :P

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I think Snoke will turn out to be Darth Plagueis. When he was first mentioned in ROTS, I thought it was a fascinating idea that a Sith could manipulate the Force to create life and possibly cheat death. I wouldn't mind seeing this explored in the movies.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I also hope that Snoke doesn't turn out to be Bob from Accounting or something.

If he is Darth Plagueis, I feel like it would resonate across the entire trilogy. This is, after all, a saga about the Skywalker family. If you tie back into the birth of Anakin, and bust out someone who's even more evil than Darth Vader and Darth Sidious as a nice cap to the trilo-trilogy. What if Rey is also a child of the Force like Anakin, with no father? Not one but two Chosen Ones, a male and a female, evil and good. A prophecy, mis-read, could have been...

If he's Bob from Accounting, it all becomes anti-climactic. But what do I know, I never made a billion-dollar blockbuster.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I also hope that Snoke doesn't turn out to be Bob from Accounting or something.

If he is Darth Plagueis, I feel like it would resonate across the entire trilogy. This is, after all, a saga about the Skywalker family. If you tie back into the birth of Anakin, and bust out someone who's even more evil than Darth Vader and Darth Sidious as a nice cap to the trilo-trilogy. What if Rey is also a child of the Force like Anakin, with no father? Not one but two Chosen Ones, a male and a female, evil and good. A prophecy, mis-read, could have been...

If he's Bob from Accounting, it all becomes anti-climactic. But what do I know, I never made a billion-dollar blockbuster.
But have you met Bob from Accounting - He is a wizard with the numbers ... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks