What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Kiri Hart who I think is the VP of Development at LFL.
Thanks! Good to be able to put a face to the name.

She's got a book coming out this fall where she pulls stuff from diaries that she kept while doing the original SW movies. I saw an interview with Harrison Ford where he jokingly said he was going to have to contact his lawyer about it.
For me, it's the combination of her being someone who's out there and forthright about managing her mental illness, someone who's really witty in a way that can sneak up on you in ways both subversive and surreal, and her utter and complete lack of fucks to give.

The interview with her and her dog Gary on Good Morning America is a piece of utter perfection as performance art:

It's a complete deconstruction of well-polished art of hawking your latest film on the morning shows.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I know she got mad at Ford when they were shooting the carbon-freezing scene because she felt like he left her out of the loop. Kershner said it wasn't a bad thing necessarily for actors to be pissed at one another. But if that happened, I wonder what other juicy stuff happened....

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Just a reminder, there's already been a teaser video released officially that shows us revisiting the scene of Luke meeting Rey.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I can't vouch for its accuracy but according to http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/08/john_williams_brings_star_wars.html John Williams told a crowd at a concert that he was going to start working on Episode VIII soon. Here's the relevant piece:

Is it just me at this point who doesn't really care all that much about who Rey's parents are? It's been hyped up so much that I don't how they are going to be able to deliver something that doesn't completely split the fan base.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me at this point who doesn't really care all that much about who Rey's parents are? It's been hyped up so much that I don't how they are going to be able to deliver something that doesn't completely split the fan base.
When I first saw the movie, it was a non-issue to me. I just took it as something that would naturally be solved in a future movie and when I saw all the talk about it online, I was sorta surprised. I still think she's Obi-Wan's granddaughter but I'd much rather it be a character that was new. You're right though, whoever it is, alot of people will be unhappy. And if they hold on to it until Episode IX, it'll just be one more element that people are furious about when Episode IX doesn't meet some fans' unrealistically massive expectations.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
According to Rian Johnson's Instagram, editing started on Episode VIII.

Also, I don't think there's anybody in this thread that is reading the Darth Vader comic book but issue #24 came out last week and it was phenomenal.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I can't vouch for its accuracy but according to http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/08/john_williams_brings_star_wars.html John Williams told a crowd at a concert that he was going to start working on Episode VIII soon. Here's the relevant piece:
It's a report from his annual Film Night conducting the Boston Pops at Tanglewood, so I would bet that it's legit. I had the privilege of attending the 2011 Film Night at Tanglewood, my first (but hopefully not last) time seeing John Williams wield the baton in person. That night was also special, because Morgan Freeman read selections from William Faulkner's 1962 novel The Reivers, while the Boston Pops performed a suite of music from Williams's score for the 1969 film adaptation.

I'm very glad that it appears John Williams is signed to score Episode VIII. I know it's been somewhat expected since he did TFA, but given his age and recent health problems and Rian Johnson's consistent use of his cousin Nathan for scoring, I was a bit nervous. I really hope Williams is able to score all three films of the sequel trilogy.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
According to Rian Johnson's Instagram, editing started on Episode VIII.

Also, I don't think there's anybody in this thread that is reading the Darth Vader comic book but issue #24 came out last week and it was phenomenal.

I'm with you Travis. It was a nice look into Vader's head and how he uses his pain to win.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Driver has a fairly astute observation in that interview about The Empire Strikes Back because it's not really "dark" as everyone (myself included) says, it's more that it's different from Star Wars. I'm sure I've said it before but Adam Driver is immensely talented, smart and interesting actor. Based on his other relatively offbeat work, I was shocked that he even took the Kylo Ren role but he ended up giving the best performance in the movie.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I hope it has force ghost Han Solo. If that happens it might lighten my mood about how 7 turned out.
That would be sweet if he confronted Kylo and gives him some much needed words of wisdom. It would change my entire outlook of the trilogy. And give his death some purpose like Obi-Wan.
Probably not though, will most likely keep with "gritty reality" era SW.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I would take all comparisons to Empire with a grain of salt. They know Empire is the most well-respected movie in the entire series, so of course they want to make that association. We heard it before - both Episode II and Episode III were compared to Empire before they opened. Similarly, every Star Trek film of the last 25 years was promoted as "having the best villain since Khan," because they knew The Wrath of Khan was the fan-favorite of the series. It's no different with Star Wars.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I would take all comparisons to Empire with a grain of salt. They know Empire is the most well-respected movie in the entire series, so of course they want to make that association. We heard it before - both Episode II and Episode III were compared to Empire before they opened. Similarly, every Star Trek film of the last 25 years was promoted as "having the best villain since Khan," because they knew The Wrath of Khan was the fan-favorite of the series. It's no different with Star Wars.

Plus, in most trilogies, the middle chapter is usually the "darkest". It kind of has to be to drive the final act of the story.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If that happens, it would need an explanation because Solo was no Jedi nor had he ever any connections with the force.
I was always under the impression that "the force" was capable for anyone to unlock in the SW universe-some were just more attuned to its cosmic energy. I know it wasn't explained in the OT, but I could have sworn I read it somewhere -in one of the novels or such.
If that is the case I'm sure Han would have learned the ways of the Force through his wife, and son.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks