What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
^ Yes but at $200, I might be begging someone to get it for my birthday or Christmas. :)
Travis, the first thing I ever saw from Star Wars was his portfolio, which plastered the walls of my room when I was 13. I got the other portfolios as they came out. I have collected everything McQuarrie that I could get my hands on, with my prized possession being our photo together that he autographed for me back in the 90s. He was the first person George Lucas hired. IMHO he was as responsible for the success of Star Wars as Lucas, Williams, Dykstra or the big three actors.

I have wanted this set since I was 13. I would take out a loan for these books if I had to.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
He was the first person George Lucas hired. IMHO he was as responsible for the success of Star Wars as Lucas, Williams, Dykstra or the big three actors.
Yeah, I think it's very likely that Star Wars wouldn't have ended up getting made if Lucas hadn't had Ralph McQuarrie's paintings to give studios an idea to what he was trying to do. When you think about the repercussions of that (no Star Wars means no Indiana Jones, none of the technical innovations that Lucas helped propel, the toy industry would be wildly different today, all the people influenced by Star Wars to enter the creative arts might be accountants or lawyers or something), it's pretty amazing.

After reading your post, I feel my resistance breaking down and I'll end up buying that book. Of course, it's not like I needed a big push. :laugh:

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I just got a notice that mine shipped. It should be here tomorrow. I really hope the corners of it aren't dinged. Amazon used to be so good about packing but lately most books I get new have a ding in them. For $200+, this better be freaking pristine.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just got a notice that mine shipped. It should be here tomorrow. I really hope the corners of it aren't dinged. Amazon used to be so good about packing but lately most books I get new have a ding in them. For $200+, this better be freaking pristine.

Honestly, if that happened to me, I'd probably return it. I feel a little guilty doing it, but I know they're capable of shipping a product without damaging it, so when it does get damaged I get annoyed. For a $5 DVD I'd live with it. For a $200 book, I'd expect it to be perfect. The few times I've had to do those kinds of returns, they've been good about it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Amazon will refund your money on any item sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon for 30 days, no questions asked.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For a $200 book, I'd expect it to be perfect. The few times I've had to do those kinds of returns, they've been good about it.
Same here. Back when The Making Of The Empire Strikes Back book came out, my copy arrived with all of the corners badly bashed up and it was no problem to return it. In a similar vein, Amazon has started sending hardback books in padded envelopes! I haven't had any big problems but I don't expect my luck to hold out.

Also, I've gotten more expensive books from Amazon over the years that have come in a box from the publisher and then that is shipped in an Amazon box. Since it's a pricier item, that COULD be what happens with the McQuarrie book.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's definitely going back if it's dinged. I will probably wear white gloves to look at it.

I'm pretty much that careful with my ridiculously expensive (and ridiculously good) book from Taschen on 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm pretty much that careful with my ridiculously expensive (and ridiculously good) book from Taschen on 2001: A Space Odyssey.
It arrived double boxed with no dings. The set weighs around 25 pounds. The biggest and heaviest books I have. Also, they look at first blush to be among the best STAR WARS books I have, potentially second only to Rinzler's Making Of.

I have work to do but I can't put this down. Or I should say, I can't leave it alone. No way am I picking these babies up to read them.
DSC05065.JPG

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Already I have been thrown for a loop in Lucas's foreward, where he claims McQuarrie was neither the first person he hired (Lucas fails to name who it was instead) nor were McQuarrie's paintings what sold the movie to the studio.

According to Rinzler's book, The Making of ROTJ, when McQuarrie quit Jedi because he felt the Ewoks were too cute, Lucas toasted McQuarrie, saying he was the first person he had ever hired for Star Wars. And according to EMPIRE OF DREAMS, the paintings did help sell the movie.

I must look into this revelation in Lucas's foreward.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Colin Cantwell was the first Star Wars hire by Lucas. Cantwell designed, among other things, the Y-Wing, the Death Star, and the Sand Crawler.

The deal for Star Wars was made when Lucas hired McQuarrie, but his paintings were essential for pre-production money to start flowing.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Any word on why it was canceled?
Rinzler doesn't work at LFL anymore so he said he wasn't privy to why it was cancelled. That being said, I'd imagine he could make an educated guess.

You'd think if there was something in the book that was 'bad', LFL or Disney would just cut it out and release the book so the decision to cancel it is pretty strange to me. About the best I can think of is that someone at a high level decided that it was the wrong time to release the book in terms of marketing or tying in with a movie, etc.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The rumor I heard was Lucas was unhappy with the way the transition and treatment of his stories for 7-9 were characterized. It was delayed while it was being rewritten and now he still isn't happy. But I haven't been able to substantiate that rumor.

As far as marketing timing, episode 7 is becoming less relevant every day that passes. I'd think they'd want the book out sooner so it could be doing business when the next movie hits.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As far as marketing timing, episode 7 is becoming less relevant every day that passes. I'd think they'd want the book out sooner so it could be doing business when the next movie hits.
I was thinking that maybe since it got delayed from its original release date of (I think) March all the way until October that they thought it was basically too late and just said screw it all together. About the only semi-on-the-horizon hope that I see is a making of the sequel trilogy book in early 2020 after Episode IX comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks