Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Title: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Tagline: The Saga Continues

Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Rian Johnson

Cast: Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, Carrie Fisher, Laura Dern, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Gwendoline Christie, Benicio del Toro, Frank Oz, Lupita Nyong'o, Anthony Daniels, Jimmy Vee, Bill Hader, Ben Schwartz, Dave Chapman, Brian Herring, Billie Lourd, Amanda Lawrence, Mark Lewis Jones, Adrian Edmondson, Hermione Corfield, Veronica Ngo, Tom Kane, Tim Rose, Justin Theroux, Noah Segan, Jamie Christopher, Paul Kasey, Michaela Coel, Priyanga Burford, Navin Chowdhry, Crystal Clarke, Hugh Skinner, Shauna Macdonald, Kate Dickie, Ralph Ineson, Michael Jibson, Luke Neal, Andy Nyman, Gareth Edwards, Lily Cole, Warwick Davis, Kiran Shah, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Mike Quinn, Gary Barlow, Peter Mayhew, Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, Griffin Hamill, Nathan Hamill, Chelsea Hamill, Prince William, Prince Harry, Liang Yang, Bern Collaço

Release: 2017-12-13

Runtime: 152

Plot: Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I half expected it. And though I don't like it, I have to believe it will help the movie. It should improve the sound mix, if nothing else.

But yeah, I'm not getting any younger. At this point, if I can live to see episode IX, I suppose I'll count myself lucky.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg Kettell said:
May is traditional, but I kind of liked having Star wars out around Christmas. I don't really have a problem with this.
Beyond simple impatience, my only problem is that it was done because Disney is operating under the goofy logic of 'release date voodoo'. TFA made a billion dollars by opening in the third week of December so they think that's some kind of magic date that people go to the theaters on. People went to see The Force Awakens because they wanted to see a new Star Wars movie. Within reason, the release date of highly anticipated movies is irrelevant. People will go whenever Episode VIII comes out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope it's because they wanted more time to complete the movie and not just to give Pirates a more attractive date. Because as far as trivial things like movie release dates go, there's nothing more frustrating to have something you really want to see delayed by something you have no interest in. Travis' release date voodoo guess is probably dead on. I really really hate that stuff. There are no magic dates.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I think I'm a lot more patient than I used to be. A 2 year wait is nothing and I'm glad they're not rushing things. Though I'm sure it would do great whenever it's released.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
I hope it's because they wanted more time to complete the movie and not just to give Pirates a more attractive date. Because as far as trivial things like movie release dates go, there's nothing more frustrating to have something you really want to see delayed by something you have no interest in.

Maybe Batman vs. Superman II can fill that Memorial Day weekend void in 2017 (I'm just being silly. LOL!)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's not that difficult to understand: A Star Wars film, every Christmas, every year. For the next decade.

Other studios schedule films here at your own risk.

Why mess with the crowded summer box office when you can rule the kingdom at the end of every year?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
It's not that difficult to understand: A Star Wars film, every Christmas, every year. For the next decade.

Other studios schedule films here at your own risk.

Why mess with the crowded summer box office when you can rule the kingdom at the end of every year?
Except, isn't that when Avatar 2 is coming?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I would prefer to see it sooner, but I did kinda like the December release.

Well, now at least instead of two Disney-owned space adventures in May 2017 (Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 and Star Wars VIII) they are portioned out a half year apart.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
WillG said:
Well, TFA has not dethroned Avatar and it looks like it won't due to underperformance in China. So, not sure if Avatar 2 would blink

Avatar needs to get made first. Once it actually has a viable schedule of production they'll look at when they can release it in China, and then release it in the US within two weeks of that date.

The December date and US release matters far more for Disney and SW than it does for Avatar since Avatar's success is far more internationally skewed.

Also, I just don't see Avatar 2 having the same success as the first film in the US. It won't have the "event" edge of 3D like before, and while everyone saw the film it hasn't sustained in the culture in the US. It could make $2 billion outside the US but make "only" 1/4th of that in the US.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I fully expect Cameron to bring forth the snifferiffic movie-going revolution where Avatar 2 just features the Na'vi folks sitting around the campfire singing songs to Eywa and cooking bacon on an open fire, and having the theaters smell deliciously so for 2-3 hours in the rapturously blessed smell of bacony-goodness, all in 3D and Dolby Atmos/Cinema quality... This should easily bring in 2 billion dollars internationally at the box office...

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks