What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
You didn't like Dawn Of The Dead Travis?
I think I'm the only person in the world that didn't like the Dawn remake. :) The only other movie from him that I liked at all was Man Of Steel. It certainly has some problems but I think it was better than the internet gave it credit for and I still have hope that he can nail Batman/Superman.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I didn't know he made Dawn of the Dead, I'm going to check that out.

I loved his Man of Steel. I especially liked the story and the characters interactions in it.
I didn't enjoy some of the action scenes in it.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
SamT said:
I didn't know he made Dawn of the Dead, I'm going to check that out.

I loved his Man of Steel. I especially liked the story and the characters interactions in it.
I didn't enjoy some of the action scenes in it.
To each his own. I couldn't stand it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, Man of Steel was very meh for me. The only Snyder film that I actually like is Watchmen, which has it's issues but somehow manages to rise above them. Man of Steel just didn't quite cut it in my book, and I have little hope that B vs. S is going to be anything worth seeing more than once.

Please, by all means, keep Snyder FAR, far away from Star Wars.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
According to a breakdown, Disney does NOT own release rights for ESB and ROJ until 2020. And they will never own the original Star Wars distribution rights. Fox will own those in perpetuity.I'd love for it to be happening though. I just highly doubt it is at this time.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
And here the Library of Congress actually wanted the original trilogy restored for posterity and their archives.

Lucas is being such an SOB.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Some new leaked design-pics, along with a photo of a particular piece of wardrobe that we'll be seeing many on-set actors wearing in the new movie:

EpVII-Stormtrooper-Helmet.jpg

han-coat.jpg

han-trench.jpg
DanH1972 said:
And here the Library of Congress actually wanted the original trilogy restored for posterity and their archives.

Lucas is being such an SOB.
Say what you will about George -- he really does have a certain amount of artistic integrity (misguided as it may be). He is totally willing to spend a huge amount of money because he truly feels that the Special Editions are superior. Regardless of whether or not one thinks that's wrong, it's also fairly admirable.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
joshEH said:
Say what you will about George -- he really does have a certain amount of artistic integrity (misguided as it may be). He is totally willing to spend a huge amount of money because he truly feels that the Special Editions are superior. Regardless of whether or not one thinks that's wrong, it's also fairly admirable.
No, not really. Lucas has been quite willing to create an "alternate reality" around the original cinematic trilogy vs. his "special editions" and shown a propensity to lie about it.

At least Spielberg saw the error of his ways with E.T. and kicked his special edition to the curb. There are other directors who will allow audiences to see all versions of their work and don't go on a white washing campaign to remake history.

He's arrogant (I'm not the only one with that opinion) and doesn't give two sh-ts about the fans who made him rich.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Bear in mind, though, we didn't make him a millionaire as some kind of personal favor. Our only contract with him is a business transaction: money for movies/merchandise. Regardless of whether or not one actually liked them, he's still held up his end of the contract every single time.

I don't know. That's kind of what I like about it, even though I would kill for an unaltered Blu set. Does he really "owe" people anything? He made a movie; some people enjoyed it. Really, that's the end of the promised transaction. It's rather ballsy for George to just completely not care what anyone else thinks.

Again, I don't think he's right, necessarily, but it's also kind of awesome that he feels that way.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Talking about the importance of film preservation, while restricting access to your own work in it's original form, and obscuring the fact it's been altered three times in the last 17 years is disingenuous at best.

And you're right, it is a business transaction. If George doesn't want to provide the product I and many others are more than willing to pay him through the nose for, we will have no choice but to seek it elsewhere. ;)

It's a strange way to treat your loyal customers.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Although, to be sure, nothing's really been "obscured" by Lucas -- the fact that we nerds have spent 17 years requesting the release of the OOT (often very, very loudly) attests to those versions' persistence in the collective public consciousness. ;)

That said, maybe not to the fans, but from a curational standpoint, I would argue that he possibly does owe posterity, to a certain extent. The main argument here is that he doesn't, in a moral sense, wholly "own" the original trilogy, since there were several other creators crucial to the completed works that moviegoers saw in '77-'83.That also said, I think the point about curation (which I feel very strongly about) maybe only really applies if he's threatening to destroy the originals. Posterity's a long time, and patient.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Lucas owes us nothing. I'm not proud of him, nor do I admire his stance. Not so much for the fans, but the people who put hard work into the versions that entered pop culture lexicon. The people who assisted in making the analog versions of the films. It would be considerate to recognize their work, since the films didn't spring fully formed from his head.But other than that, he doesn't owe us versions that we grew up with and want. And I don't have a to pay a nickel for the inferior versions available. I own no Star Wars Blu Rays. Nor will I unless the versions I want are made available. If Episode 7 is good, maybe I'll get that one.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yep...Agreed Chuck. I did buy the PT on blu but have not and will not buy the OT on blu with the horrid revisions. There are other alternative sources out there to find a decent HD version of it.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Tim Glover said:
Yep...Agreed Chuck. I did buy the PT on blu but have not and will not buy the OT on blu with the horrid revisions. There are other alternative sources out there to find a decent HD version of it.
There are NO HD versions of the unscrewed with theatrical original trilogy available. None. Zip. Nada. Only the less than great Laserdiscs or even lesser quality non-anamorphic DVD's.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Chuck Mayer said:
Lucas owes us nothing.
I disagree completely. Lucas owes us EVERYTHING. If it weren't for the fact that we've embraced and loved his films, transforming them into a decades-long cultural phenomenon, he'd be flipping burgers at In-n-Out or working as a grease monkey in some L.A. chop shop. Instead we've made him a billionaire. You'd think he'd show the fans of his work a little more more respect and a little more gratitude. Just my opinion of course.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
He's still a filmmaker, however, and in Hollywood to this very day, the one major right accorded virtually every director is the right to decree which version(s) of your work gets released to the public (the same, really, as authors, musicians, and visual artists).

On the one hand, there is a contingent of people out there who demand one version of his output, but on the other lies the director's own personal artistic rights. And Lucas seems to prefer a different version of his creation than what some of the fans do, but that is his perogative.

He has as much skin in this game (more, perhaps) as any fanboy out there, and while I might not like it, I do understand it, and would never take that right away from him.

At the moment, that's a very tricky needle to thread.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
I disagree completely. Lucas owes us EVERYTHING.
Any time that I paid to see his movies or for a toy or comic or book, I've always gotten it. At that point, the transaction is over and nothing else is owed to me. Obviously, I want to see the originals get released but there's no debt to repay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks