What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Jeff Cooper said:
Counting down the seconds before the internet is flooded with pictures of the lightsabers filling up the screen with lens flares..... :D
It took about four hours for the lens flare image flood to start when the news broke over at OT.com. People just need to get it out of their system I guess. ;)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Forget lens flare, what other obvious out of place industrial location will he try to pass off as a future looking engine room or garbage level?

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It's official. http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-is-being-kick-started-with-dynamite-jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii.html Nice to see Lawrence Kasdan on board as well. :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Chuck Anstey said:
Forget lens flare, what other obvious out of place industrial location will he try to pass off as a future looking engine room or garbage level?
Boy you got that right. Cement floors (and stair steps) and cinder block walls, do not make a starship. Not to mention my favorite, tanks of beer fermenting in the engine room of the Enterprise. But look at all the money they save. :rolleyes:

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I think this is a good move and they have not suggested yet he is doing the entire new trilogy which could suggest a more standalone feel to the new film and the opportunity for other directors to give their take on the franchise. I enjoyed the Star Trek film for what it was and it will be interesting to see what Abrams will bring to this universe. He certainly has the passion for it.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I love the idea of JJ Abrams directing. I guarantee he will make a great star wars. More than Lucas has ever done since trilogy I-III

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
J J Abrams is a very interesting choice indeed as he already has a long standing history with LFL and ILM, so no surprise. Good to see Kasdan onboard as well

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
My entire Facebook feed is having a meltdown at the current moment. I know Abrams is a contentious figure among nerds, but he seems to rise and fall to the level of the material he has to work with. He's no visual impresario, but Star Wars has a fairly rigid style to it that would constrain even a Lynch or Malick from running buck-wild, so no big deal there. I'm quietly hopeful at this news. As others have said, Star Trek XI lifted a lot of its tone and character/action-balance from Star Wars, as well as weaving in Campbellian destiny-stuff, which makes me think Abrams would be a good fit. Above all, his Trek movie was a fun, exciting adventure story. If there is anything that Star Wars needs to recover, it's that pulpy excitement that gave the original trilogy an engaging delivery mechanism for its mythological themes. Clearly Abrams' destiny has lead him to this -- the signs were there all along. The Symbol of Rambaldi is < o >, which is OBVIOUSLY the shape of a TIE Interceptor. (...Or something.) Matthew Fox for C-3PO!
caa0c7a9_581206489LL.jpeg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I know Abrams is a contentious figure among nerds, but he seems to rise and fall to the level of the material he has to work with. He's no visual impresario, but Star Wars has a fairly rigid style to it that would constrain even a Lynch or Malick from running buck-wild, so no big deal there.
That's basically what I was thinking too. If it was a reboot rather than Star Wars Part 7, I'd say maybe he'd try to put his own visual stamp on things but I think he'll keep in line with the other six movies for the most part. That being said, I hope there's at least one lense flare shot in the movie so they can open the teaser with it and make people go berserk.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like JJ Abrams work and loved the new Trek. But I think it would be healthier if the two biggest, most important sci-fi franchises had independent artistic visions.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Quote:
If there is anything that Star Wars needs to recover, it's that pulpy excitement that gave the original trilogy an engaging delivery mechanism for its mythological themes.

Thank you, thank you! Ever since hearing the JJ Abrams news I've been hoping that maybe he can capture the essence that made Episodes 4, 5 and yes even some of 6 so wonderful to me. I've been trying to figure out what it is that makes 4, 5 and 6 soooooo much different from 1, 2 and 3. And you hit the nail on the head.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
My first reaction to this news: Jar-Jar Abrams = final nail in the coffin. Maybe (hopefully) I'll be pleasantly surprised but, if VII turns out to be anything like his Trek movie, I'm going to hate it. :( edit: boo, what a downer for a 2,000th post! So I'll turn my frown upside-down. I enjoyed Alias (s1) and Lost (occasionally). Even JJ can't screw up VII worse than Lucas did the prequels. It'll be brilliant anyway. I hope! :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would have liked to see Joss Whedon direct it. I think he would have been ideal for the job.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I like Abrams, but a Star War movie with a Disney/Bad Robot intro (instead of 20th Century Fox/Lucasfilm) is just going to be weird.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
PhilipG said:
... but, if VII turns out to be anything like his Trek movie, I'm going to hate it. :(
Well then I can only hope you absolutely despise Episode 7! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks