Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Pete-D, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Maybe we can use Jedi mind tricks to get them all to watch a broader range of films. :lol:

I do get some of Dan's points and I'm sure Dan's intentions were good, i agree it would be nice to see people watching a greater range of films, i just don't think school classes is the answer, you just know the teachers will decide what is best and you will run into censorship issues and various political issues on what get's shown, nah, just let them find out for themselves if they so wish.

Bob_S. and Tino like this.
  2. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Studied film in university rather extensively myself. Can explicate (for example) the major differences between mise-en-scène and montage, and have written papers on topics such as Godard's cinephile-period and the nouveau roman influence upon the Left Bank movement.

And I still enjoy at least two-and-a-half of the three SW prequels, too. They're of much greater value cinematically and artistically than some people are willing to give them credit for.

3. DanH1972

DanH1972 Second Unit

Dan
    By that logic, why even have literature teachers pushing and forcing kids to read stories like Beowulf, Moby Dick, Tom Sawyer, and Romeo and Juliet? They're old and boring (though they've never read them) and make their heads hurt because they challenge their narrow perceptions, and they wouldn't read them willingly without the books being assigned. Heck, they might even like one or even all of them and expand their grasp of story telling (or they may like none of them)! Just let them seek out and read whatever strikes their fancy such as great literature like Twilight and The Hunger Games. :rolleyes:

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    How about the Diary of Anne Frank that many USA schools have banned, yes i agree those schools know what they are doing.

I think you may have missed my point, read the later post i wrote and also bear in mind i sometimes write with humour in mind.

5. DanH1972

DanH1972 Second Unit

Dan
    No, not every school or school board is doing things right. I agree 110% Luckily, I had a quality education and teachers who wanted to inspire and instill the love of learning new and different things... and even film appreciation.

One of the shows my English teacher in Junior High used as a tool was Jim Henson's The Storyteller. Fantastic! It was a shame it was cancelled.

FoxyMulder likes this.
  6. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    If you push and force kids to read stuff like that lots will definitely turn off so what's the point ? Most will read it when they are ready in my experience and will probably get far more from it too. Those kids reading The Hunger Games and Twilight will usually continue to read for enjoyment and expand their horizons as they read more. I for one never needed film classes to expand my horizon on film. It was a gradual shift from the big huge films of my youth like Batman (89) to more discerning fare and taking an interest as a hobby either reading about it discussing it with friends. I'm also glad that I can enjoy Revenge of the Sith or The Hunger Games as much as any other - though Transformers is awful :)

7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Plus, kids are gonna go see Star Wars regardless of quality, good or bad. It's quite probably the biggest franchise in history.

My nephews, 8 and 10, are absolutely mental about Star Wars -- this shit is like crack to little boys. Disney Marketing's rocking like Nino Brown right now.

8. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Best post in a long time. Wow. Good stuff Chuck.

9. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    I would think everyone involved would look at what didn't work in the past in bringing old characters back, and labor mightily to avoid those mistakes. There is simply too much riding on this. A mildly successful movie is going to be branded as a failure in many corners.

Star Wars is it's own thing, especially in terms of the cultural impact it's had. You can't really compare it to other franchises.

10. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Star Wars 1080-HD =
    Horrible
    Disaster
    :( Nooooooo

Star Wars Laserdisc =
    Lovely
    Adorable
    Splendid
    Excellent
    Ravishing
    Delightful
    Indispensable
    Spectacular
    Classic
    LASERDISC :)

11. Carabimero

Carabimero Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alan
    Aren't the DVDs that came as extras in one of the sets made from the laser disc ports? I have those DVDs of the original versions of eps. 4-6 and love them.

andySu likes this.
  12. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Yep, they sure are. Even with soundtrack re-mixing. The laserdisc early Fox/CBS letterbox editions are the ones I reach for I can bear the Dolby Stereo matrix,

Dialogue pans on Return of the Jedi have been centred with THX CAV pressing that has remained all the way to the '97 THX LD AC-3 to DVD to Nooo-ray-disc.

Imperial guy at the start of the film "Inform the commander that lord Vader, shuttle has arrived". pan has been centred.

Princess talking to Ewok. "Well looks like I'm stuck here. Trouble is I don't know where here is?" That was a cool pan in the cinema to stage left, now its centred.

Han Solo no longer has his, voice panned to stage right. "Luke! Luke!"

Lucas, has got it for Han Solo? He doesn't want him shooting and doesn't what his voice panned to right to make it appear he is 40 or so feet away and hearing the voice in the centre like he is standing next to Luke, makes no "50% sound" sense at all?

Carabimero and DanH1972 like this.
  13. Carabimero

Carabimero Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alan
    Thanks for the expert notes. I can really appreciate your knowledge. Ben Burtt said there were three original theatrical mixes: a mono mix, a stereo mix and I think a quad mix (?), and I always assumed the lserdisc ports were the stereo mix.

andySu likes this.
  14. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Well I don't have to, force you to buy a laserdisc player but some good working Pioneer models out there with digital freeze memory so you can pause still CLV discs, with Dolby AC-3, for cheap going on ebay now and then? The Dolby stereo matrix sounds great if if set up smarty. You can hear a whizzing wining sound of the rebel blockade runner phantom-ed around the surrounds followed by the star destroyer.

Pressure door (hisses) opens on stage left as Darth Vader exits and his, footsteps sound to the left.

Uncle Owen, calls out to Luke on stage right "Luke I'm shutting the power down"

Alien voices pan around the LCR in the cantina some to stage left and right.
    The dialouge echoes moves front to back across the chasm.

Tie-fighters, yawnnnn around as that what they sound like, lol around the Falcon when escaping the death star. Low end is satisfactory when they get blasted into cosmic atoms with a near to 30Hz.

Its a worthwhile buy, :)

STAR WARS
    http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/36787/1130-85/Star-Wars:-A-New-Hope-(FOX)-(1977)

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00873/1425-85/Star-Wars:-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-(1980)
    RETURN OF THE JEDIhttp://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00874/1478-85/Star-Wars:-Return-of-the-Jedi-(1983)

15. SamT

SamT Cinematographer

Sam
    I kept my Star Wars LaserDiscs and throw out almost everything else as long as I remember including the LaserDisc player. So I can't play them but I have them for nostalgia! And I remember how expensive they were compared to boxsets we get today.

This set
    [​IMG]

16. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I paid $225 in Feb 1993 for the deluxe CAV edition. This is why I never complain about blu ray prices. ;)Edit: Hey it's my 5000th post. About Star Wars no less. Woo Hoo. :)

Tim Glover likes this.
  17. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I'm sorry but how are the Star Wars blu rays a horrible disaster??

18. SamT

SamT Cinematographer

Sam
    I can't talk for others but Vader saying Noooooooooooo and ghost Hayden i-am-going-to-kill-you in Return of the Jedi is pretty bad. I never wanted or even felt the need to see the original trilogy on the current bluray.

19. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I was referring to the transfers. There is no way on earth that the Lasers look or sound better than the blu's. And I own both.

20. DanH1972

DanH1972 Second Unit

Dan
    The prequels are lousy and the "updates" to the original trilogy are a farce.

Han didn't shoot first... he shot ONLY. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.