What's new

Star Wars 3-D: On Schedule? (1 Viewer)

TomTom

Stunt Coordinator
I remember the anouncement for the 30th anniversary and that "A New hope" would be re-released. Memorial Day is over 3 months away but I haven't read anything online lately about it. Am I being premature? I'm curious if it would have to go up against Pirates 3.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That was never something that was set for a specific date. Although there was an article on starwars.com yesterday saying that the number of theaters capable of showing 3-D was growing quickly, it's definitely not happening in May.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I recall seeing an interview with Rick McCallum last year that said the technology is not where it needs to be for this to happen, so it is off the radar. I believe he was referring to the technology in the theaters. You will recall Lucasfilm has similiar laments about the state of theater tech when digital "prints" of Episodes II and III were released (to precious few theaters). Apparently, there are even fewer equipped with the new 3D technology.

Don't look for it anytime soon.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The number of theatres being upgraded is increasing rapidly though. For example, while Disney's CHICKEN LITTLE only played in 3-D on just 85 screens, the upcoming MEET THE ROBINSONS is targeted for as many as 500.

Reports are that things are on target for 1000 screens to be ready by the end of the year and another 500 ready by Summer 2008. JOURNEY 3-D (Brendan Frasier) is being held until next year to take advantage of the increased number of available screens.

STAR WARS needs at least 1500 I'd think to make it worthwhile.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
When and if they do this, I hope the entire film is in 3D. I loved Superman Returns in 3D, but it would have been better if more than 4 scenes used 3D.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
2 years ago I got the chance to check out Lucas's presentation of the 3-d digital STAR WARS demo reel....

It contained the first 15 minutes of the converted "NEW HOPE" and it was awesome.... It felt as the film was shot 3-d from the start.

Based on this, the technology is there and works... So, he can't use this as an excuse..... Also, he could open this in 3-d digital today in over more locations than he opened back in 1977.....

I find it strange that given the state of affairs with theatres these days that he doesn't open the 3-d version..... Locations with the ability to show it now would be packed and would even possibly have those 1 year runs of yester-year....

Rather an exciting idea....

Dugger

Brian D H

Second Unit
2009 or 2010 would be fine with me.

I have a 5-year-old daughter who has never seen any Star Wars, because I've been holding off until she's old enough to appreciate it. I saw Star Wars as a 9-year-old in 1977 and loved it - but my 7-year-old sister fell asleep! She kept that secret for over 15 years out of embarassment and went to see Empire Strikes Back while pretending to remember the original.

This would be a great first exposure to the movie for a 7 or 8 year-old.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It would be unfortunate if Lucas let the 30th anniversary go by without any screenings of Star Wars at all. May 25th would be perfect for brief rerelease. :)

Joe_G

Second Unit

Ditto. 3-D or not, I was hoping for some kind SW re-release for the 30th anniversary.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Personally speaking, I don't know if the technology is there yet for post product 3D versions. Films that were filmed through the 3D process can look amazing (see the T2: 3D at Universal studios), but I was unimpressed with the digitalization 3D that Superman Returns utilized. I realize this is a minority opinion. Since Lucas is a stickler for technology to be "there," and that not enough theaters conduct 3D yet, I am glad this the saga will not be released until the technology has been further refined.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Well, you can bet there will be some sort of DVD release. (Hopefully, with the original trilogy's deleted scenes this time!)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
SUPERMAN RETURNS wasn't shown in Digital 3-D at all, but rather IMAX 3-D. The two camps seems to have different approaches in 2-D to 3-D conversions.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They're maybe using different software, but it's the same basic idea: Extrapolate a "right eye" view from existing footage, rather than shooting with two cameras or re-rendering from a slightly different angle.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
As much as the presentation is different (one on 70mm film and one in the digital realm) the conversion process is very much the same....

During the STAR WARS presentation I saw, they also included scenes converted of LORD OF THE RINGS / TOP GUN / BACK TO THE FUTURE / POLAR EXPRESS / TERMINATOR 2 / and more...

The 3-D image was outstanding....

So the ability to do this now is out there....

Disney is hoping that there are 500 locations by March to do the ROBINSONS 3-D...

Time will tell!

Dugger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks