What's new

Star Trek: Voyager specs and art (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I'm looking forward to owning Voyager. I have to agree that the box art is pretty damn ugly. And I'm a little surprised that season 1 only had 15 episodes. But I really enjoyed the show and will be getting it. Looks like they added some nice extra features too.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
I agree, the Bujold footage would be interesting. Other than that, I have no desire to see Voyager ever again.

This collection will sell badly. We're talking Pink Lady and Jeff badly, here. That said, expect Paramount to jam in some pretty remarkable extras... just to appeal to the few that are considering adding them to their collections.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Eh.. no Not really a bashfest and I might even go for Season 1 which was'nt horrible showed some potential, that inevitably would go to waste. I liked Voyagers Characters but they were plotted so Inconsistantly and thinly that I really did not care about them in seasons 2-7. One thing about voyager is that I remembered all the TNG and DS9 eps after seeing them once on Broadcast TV. When I catch the Odd Voyager ep they all seem new to me because quite frankly they had very forgettable plots. The jury is still out on Enterprise. It's better than Voyager but that's not saying much.

BTW the boxes are ugly

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think I would buy the set for the Bujold footage but I'm very surprised she gave her permission to have this included given the circumstances she had left the role. Must've paid her the Big Bucks. I kinda Wish Bujold had stayed on, I would prefered her over Mulgrew.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Are those partial slip cases on each set?
They look to be identical to the DS9 boxes, if you're familiar with those. If not, it's a plastic outer slipcase with a plastic box inside. The inner box is basically three parts with a "flip-book" disc holder attached to the center piece, and the outer pieces fold over it. My description probably doesn't make sense, but it's the best I could do. :)

I like the DS9 cases and like these as well so far, but it looks like I'm in the minority. Then again, people despised the DS9 cases before they came out, and I think many people changed their mind about them.

As for the show, I will say that if the conflict between the Maquis and Starfleet crews had been developed instead of dropped, it could have been great.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
The only problem I had with Voyager is the final season where:

They didn't devote a lot of time to building up Voyagers inevitable homecoming. If a majority of the final seasons episodes had built up to it, then the payoff would have been better. But instead, the final episode seemed rush. And I really hated the fact that Chakotay and 7 of 9 became an item! Thery had no chemistry together so this matchup came as a complete surprise to me. Totally unexpected. I was hoping that 7 of 9 and the "Doctor" would hook up.

David M.

Agent
I like the DS9 cases. It makes it easier to get at a particular disk. Unlike the TNG wallet style cases. It looks like the book style case slides in from the top of the case which seems to be half the height of the pages. The Digital Bits has a better image of the case.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I dunno, I rather like the look of the box art, and I'll be collecting this series as it's the first Trek series I stuck all the way through with, so it has some good memories :).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I'll probably pass on this set. I have them all on VCD, and would get DS9 before I get these (and I haven't gotten those yet). My wallet is still in pain from my TNG splurge. >>>

Not agreed on the VCD sets, but agreed on the wallet and TNG splurge. I'm waiting for Christmas for sets 4, 6, and 7 before I even think about starting DS9 sets.

Either that, or you could all sign up for my buisness services and make my life easier ;).

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I am passing over this series entirely. Thank you Paramount for TNG and DS9. Time to take a break from buying Star Trek season box sets until the original series comes out repackaged.

BradG

Stunt Coordinator
Those are incredibly horrible-looking cases. That said, my wife and I loved the show and will be picking up all 7 seasons to join the other 3 series on our DVD shelf.

Yes, many people will bash Voyager, but I don't think it will sell as poorly as some think. I think Paramount knows it will make money on this set, otherwise it would never release them).

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Ya Know... looking REAL CLOSE at that picture (and a little contrast enhancement in Photoshop)...

Those are NOT DS9 style cases...

if you blow up the picture and bring up the contrast and bring DOWN the brightness...

those are CLEAR/COLORED THINPAK's, each in a half-slipcase (bottom half), the circular "Voyager" picture is part of the slipcase, the 'STAR TREK VOYAGER' logo is printed on the top of the thinpak..

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Greg, you should have told the bash-fester's to take it over to Movies, except for the comments about the cover art, of course.

Glenn

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I don't expect the TOS box sets until late summer/early fall, based on what indications I've been seeing.

This makes sense, too, because it would prevent additional cannibalization of the Voyager set sales, and would set up the TOS releases for positioning as Christmas gifts.

I'm guessing Sept/Oct-Nov/Dec releases for these seasons, probably offset 2 weeks from each of Voyager S5, S6, and S7.

Just taking a SWAG here...let's see how right or wrong I turn out to be! :D

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Enjoyed the show and will be picking this up myself, but dammmmmmmmmmmmmmm those cases SUCK!! That's OK I am counting Ric to come to the rescue and save me from bad case hell.

Ric ..... Ric ..... Ric????

Thanks for the info!

Greg

Joel C

Screenwriter
I like the cases, the show is ok. Not $100/season ok. I'd buy it for Buffy prices, though.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Sheesh, all the luminous colours, like an 80s revival or something... :D

I'm still in two minds about this. When Voyager first started its run here several years late, a few eps in I gave up. I returned somewhere in season 5, and stuck with it this time, then when the cycle repeated I watched from the beginning onwards to where I'd jumped in.

My view is it's not as bad as many make it out to be, but having spent so much already on TNG and part-way on DS9 (which I had never watched and am therefore buying unseen on faith), do I really want to be dropping so much cash on Voyager? Especially with TOS on the horizon?

On the other hand, if the year-end bonus is really good or I get a hefty raise next year, I won't worry so much...:D

Users who are viewing this thread