What's new

Star Trek Voyager Sales (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Are you saying they should have stopped with any SERIES after DS9 ended, or that Paramount should have stopped putting out Trek DVDs once they finished with DS9?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Colin, he was saying that he thinks the franchise itself should have gone on hiatus after its last good TV series -- not that DVDs should not be released.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Hmmmm...let's see now... (cue the sound of a calculator) five discs, MSRP of $100... that comes out to $20 per disc...

Compare that to the six-disc set of Smallville: Season 1... six discs, purchase price of $55... average price: $9 per disc...

(hits the equals button, clicks three times)

Nope. Not getting it at that outrageously high price. I'll wait until either it comes down in price or until I find a good used copy for much less.

Paramount, either lower your prices or lose your customer base. Your choice.

Yeah right, like that'll ever happen... :angry:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the common fallacy that all content is worth the same. Not that I'd claim that one hour of Voyager is worth as much as two hours of Smallville, but for Paramount's target audience, it may well be.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And isn't it the case that the Trek cast and crew get pretty good deals as far as royalty goes? Probably better than the Smallville cast were able to negotiate.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

That's what I thought as well, but I wanted to check. The problem with that concept is that Voyager started to run WHILE DS9 was already on the air. As such, there couldn't be a hiatus after DS9 ended - it was too late!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's the sort of thing that doesn't really become public knowledge until someone like David Duchovny or Alan Alda thinks they're underpaid, but I doubt it's an issue for Voyager. TNG, yeah, I've heard that Patrick Stewart had a pretty good deal by the time the series concluded; DS9 had enough high-B guys in its ensemble (Brooks, Meaney, Auberjonois, Shimmerman) that I imagine royalties could pile up. But for Voyager and Enterprise, outside of the leads, Berman & company were deliberately casting folks who would be happy for the work ad wouldn't make much in the way of demands.

It's a matter of Paramount charging what the market will bear - they know that there is a group of fans that will pay $100+ to have Star Trek now. As Kevin says, when all the series are on DVD next year, they'll probably drop the price to get the folks who would buy Trek for $75. Then, when that group is tapped out, the $50 people.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i have to live on $600 a month and you dont see me crying about paying $90 for a set! :rolleyes

i remember a time i use to pay $75 for just one show.
with the cheap prices they have now i now have almost 900 DVD's not counting my tapes and stuff i have recorded. and the sets in my dvd's im only counting as one.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I guess a lot of people must not remember the days when you had to pay $15 to $20 for 2 episodes of a tv series on VHS! That would be at least $200 for just one season of a series. Not to mention if the series ran for 7 years, like TNG, DS9, and Voyager, you'd be talking about 85 tapes to collect the entire series!

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
yep, and that was not all that long ago at that.
now the $75 a show was some time ago.
boy it was high then.
blank tapes was $10 each for TDK at that time.
the cheap prices they have now is gravy for me.
my first vcr was $2000.
my first computer was $1500 and had only 4k mem.
no drive, no color, no sound and you had to program it yourself. :D

anyway, so far i have all of the released startreks.
star trek, star trek: TNG, star trek: DS9 and now working on star trek: Voyager.
im thinking about geting the star trek: box set to save on space. i already have someone to buy my old star trek DVDs.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I bought TNG and DS9 as released, but refuse to pay even a reduced price of £59/set for Voyager to get the scattering of gems in that show. Especially when I saw TNG sets on sale at Virgin and online at play.com for £34 end of last year!

I'll probably pick them up next year when I can get a better deal. With regard to TOS going for less, no way; that has a shorter run and more cache with more fans -- it'll definitely be the same price or higher with more extras than the other series.

I have no interest in Enterprise at all and will permanently pass on that one.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
You like Enterprise better than DS9??? Why?
Enterprise has none of the complexity or the interesting characters that DS9 had.
Enterprise as well as Voyager are Trek lite or Sci Fi lite as far as I am concerned.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
to me Voyager was #2 and star trek: tng #3 DS9 was in last place.
i like my star trek to boldy go somewhere... :D

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Oh my. I've never come across anyone who liked Enterprise better than DS9. Geez, I've watched the entire DS9 series five times over. And Enterprise? I haven't watched the show since the middle of season one; and I will never continue on. I even like Voyager way better than Enterprise.

Ok, my rant is over. :) I know it's different strokes for different folks.

Jeff

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

That's what I say about everything after TNG.

"Created by" and "Based on" are completely different things.

I'll buy the sets when they show up in the mark down bins.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Looks like I was right about the TOS sets. Play.com has them listed for £9 more than VOY and they appear to be 7-8 discs -- even for series 3, so I expect loads of extras on each set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks