What's new

Star Trek Voyager - A Thread for Fans (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I agree that Mulgrew was very good. She looked more comfortable in the role in later seasons. I just wish the writers served her better. I still cringe at her "unexpected acts of kindness" speech.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
If I may weigh in here, I watched Voyager during its entire seven-season run. I loved the show and remember it with fondness. While I have attained BD complete seasons of TOS and The Next Generation and the complete series DVD of Enterprise, I've long wanted (but never understood the reason behind) the prohibitively expensive complete "Voyager". I've been watching the series on the H&I (Heroes & Icons) cable network and have enjoyed it, mostly. I don't recall Neelix getting on my nerves as much as he does in the early going, but I was watching weekly rather than nightly. My favorite characters, in retrospect, are the Doctor followed by Tuvok and Seven of Nine. I admire Janeway very much, and like Tom Paris, too.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
After knowing and seeing Mulgrew as Janeway, there's no way I can imagine anyone else...even after seeing the original footage. If Bujold had continued in the role, I have to believe she should have been replaced at some point. Not a knock on her, but not everyone is cut out for a lead role in Trek.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Mulgrew was excellent in that role. I enjoyed most of the characters, especially the Doctor.

There were a few duds along the way, but hey, it ran seven years, not to bad.

I know I'm in the minority, but still have to say "Enterprise" is my favorite, but "Voyager" is runner-up.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While I'm quarantined I'm interested in revisiting this show, but there's no way I'm going to get through the whole thing.

Does anybody have a nice condensed list of the episodes that were actually important to the journey of them getting home?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Adam, I saw you had posted a list of episodes on this thread on the previous page from 2016. Post 124. Looking at your list, I think those are a lot of good ones. I don’t recall all the episode titles and synopsis, so I’d have to look over the episodes. I just re-watched the entire series about a year and a half ago, and I’m kind of interested in revisiting it again after I finish with TNG.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm currently rewatching Deep Space Nine, so I can't help with Voyager (finished the Voyager DVDs - only for the first time - about two years ago). But if you have any questions on DS9, I'm your man!

PS Enjoy!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I love voyager. I think the seven of nine years are the best seasons of the show.

min also re watching ds9. My wife and I watched voyager first then moved to Ds9.

She had never seen either of the series. I watch tos all of the time and out of order usually.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I really like Voyager (it's #2 - just behind TOS) but very much dislike "Seven-of-nine" on the show. I also have an intense dislike of the Borg (they are a very lazy and poorly written/conceived "villain") in general so...

I don't have a list as I tend to just watch it all the way through when I revisit the series - even the "bad" episodes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hey Adam, I saw you had posted a list of episodes on this thread on the previous page from 2016. Post 124. Looking at your list, I think those are a lot of good ones. I don’t recall all the episode titles and synopsis, so I’d have to look over the episodes. I just re-watched the entire series about a year and a half ago, and I’m kind of interested in revisiting it again after I finish with TNG.
I'd forgotten that I'd made that list! Thanks for the reminder, Nelson.

Here is my new list, combining my previous list that I never completed and the top 15 episodes that Osato linked to:

Season One:
  1. "Caretaker" -- going to rewatch
  2. "Parallax" -- already watched
  3. "Phage"-- already watched
  4. "Eye of the Needle"-- already watched
  5. "Prime Factors"-- already watched
  6. "State of Flux"-- already watched
  7. "Faces"-- already watched
  8. "Jetrel"-- already watched
  9. "Learning Curve"-- already watched
Season Two:
  1. "Projections"-- already watched
  2. "Elogium"-- already watched
  3. "Persistence of Vision"-- already watched
  4. "Cold Fire"-- already watched
  5. "Maneuvers"-- already watched
  6. "Resistance"
  7. "Prototype"
  8. "Alliances"
  9. "Meld"
  10. "Dreadnought"
  11. "Death Wish"
  12. "Lifesigns"
  13. "Investigations"
  14. "Deadlock"
  15. "The Thaw"
  16. "Resolutions"
  17. "Basics, Part I"
Season Three:
  1. "Basics, Part II"
  2. "Flashback"
  3. "The Chute"
  4. "Remember"
  5. "Future's End, Part I"
  6. "Future's End, Part II"
  7. "Blood Fever"
  8. "Unity"
  9. "Rise"
  10. "Before and After"
  11. "Distant Origin"
  12. "Worst Case Scenario"
  13. "Scorpion, Part I"
Season Four:
  1. "Scorpion, Part II"
  2. "The Gift"
  3. "Nemesis"
  4. "The Raven"
  5. "Scientific Method"
  6. "Year of Hell, Part I"
  7. "Year of Hell, Part II"
  8. "Random Thoughts"
  9. "Concerning Flight"
  10. "Mortal Coil"
  11. "Message in a Bottle"
  12. "Hunters"
  13. "Prey"
  14. "The Killing Game, Part I"
  15. "The Killing Game, Part II"
  16. "The Omega Directive"
  17. "Living Witness"
  18. "Hope and Fear"
Season Five:
  1. "Night"
  2. "Drone"
  3. "Timeless"
  4. "Infinite Regress"
  5. "Thirty Days"
  6. "Counterpoint"
  7. "Latent Image"
  8. "Bride of Chaotica!"
  9. "Bliss"
  10. "Dark Frontier, Part I"
  11. "Dark Frontier, Part II"
  12. "Someone to Watch Over Me"
  13. "11:59"
  14. "Relativity"
  15. "Equinox, Part I"
Season Six:
  1. "Equinox, Part II"
  2. "Survival Instinct"
  3. "Barge of the Dead"
  4. "The Voyager Conspiracy"
  5. "Pathfinder"
  6. "Blink of an Eye"
  7. "Virtuoso"
  8. "Collective"
  9. "Child's Play"
  10. "Good Shepard"
  11. "Live Fast and Prosper"
  12. "Life Line"
  13. "Unimatrix Zero, Part I"
Season Seven:
  1. "Unimatrix Zero, Part II"
  2. "Imperfection"
  3. "Drive"
  4. "Shattered"
  5. "Lineage"
  6. "Prophecy"
  7. "The Void"
  8. "Human Error"
  9. "Q2"
  10. "Author, Author"
  11. "Friendship One"
  12. "Homestead"
  13. "Endgame, Part I"
  14. "Endgame, Part II"

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don’t see The 37’s on that list. I can see it might not be everyone’s favorite. I always liked it.

I never liked The Thaw. I never watched it on disc but remember seeing it during broadcast. I looked it up and I guess there’s some aspects people like about it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the two-part series premiere again. Some thoughts:
  • After being spoiled by the TNG HD Remaster, it's a really tough downgrade in quality going back to standard definition for this. It's not just the 480 lines of resolution; it also the interlacing artifacts and the analog artifacts from the magnetic tape that are problematic.
  • I really like how the Caretaker was portrayed, especially with the simulation of the old farm to make his predominantly human guests more at ease. It was also a budget saver that made sense within the logic of the episode. A being somewhere in between the mortal races of the Federation and the omnipotent Q Continuum.
  • I still think it was a lazy decision to have the native Delta Quadrant technology interface so seamlessly with the Federation technology. The first time the Kazon or Neelix speak, for instance, it should have taken some time for the universal translator to have a large enough sample of the language to parse it and start translating. Rather than having communications work seamlessly, the Voyager crew should have needed to do some work to get its communication technology to work with the local communication technology. In general, being dropped into a completely uncharted and unknown distant corner of the galaxy should have been a lot harder than it was in the first couple seasons.
  • Tom Paris going on and on about "Indians" was really jarring to me, because his politically incorrect talk seemed very at odds with the utopian Federation society based on equality and understanding for all. On the other hand, I give the show credit for having a Native American main character -- albeit one whose tribe has been shaped by hundreds of years of history that haven't happened yet.
Going to watch "The 37's" next, Nelson, on the basis of your recommendation.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just watched the two-part series premiere again. Some thoughts:
  • After being spoiled by the TNG HD Remaster, it's a really tough downgrade in quality going back to standard definition for this. It's not just the 480 lines of resolution; it also the interlacing artifacts and the analog artifacts from the magnetic tape that are problematic.
  • I really like how the Caretaker was portrayed, especially with the simulation of the old farm to make his predominantly human guests more at ease. It was also a budget saver that made sense within the logic of the episode. A being somewhere in between the mortal races of the Federation and the omnipotent Q Continuum.
  • I still think it was a lazy decision to have the native Delta Quadrant technology interface so seamlessly with the Federation technology. The first time the Kazon or Neelix speak, for instance, it should have taken some time for the universal translator to have a large enough sample of the language to parse it and start translating. Rather than having communications work seamlessly, the Voyager crew should have needed to do some work to get its communication technology to work with the local communication technology. In general, being dropped into a completely uncharted and unknown distant corner of the galaxy should have been a lot harder than it was in the first couple seasons.
  • Tom Paris going on and on about "Indians" was really jarring to me, because his politically incorrect talk seemed very at odds with the utopian Federation society based on equality and understanding for all. On the other hand, I give the show credit for having a Native American main character -- albeit one whose tribe has been shaped by hundreds of years of history that haven't happened yet.
Going to watch "The 37's" next, Nelson, on the basis of your recommendation.

I always though the Caretaker was a good pilot.

voyager and Ds9 are my favorite spin off series. I like voyager as it’s ship based and ds9 as it’s characters are off the charts.

I wish I could get into enterprise. I thought about going back to it and or buying the series in Blu Ray.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I hope you like The 37’s, didn’t want to steer you wrong.
I just finished watching it, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation.

The hook is Sharon Lawrence as Amelia Earhart, but the heart of the episode is a unique dilemma for the crew of Voyager.

My first thought was that the people from 1937 had been pulled through a temporal as well as spatial anomaly, but the actual reveal was much more interesting: five groups of humans had been abducted as slaves centuries ago, one of which was left in cryostasis. Over the period since, the enslaved humans overthrew their more technologically advanced masters and then society developed in parallel to humanity's path on Earth.

If you're 70+ years out from home, and you come across an unlikely human outpost with hundreds of thousands of people from your same species and a culture that has a common basis with your own, it creates a really difficult decision. This might be your last chance to rejoin the human race for many, many decades.

The other thing I liked about the episode was that there was a certain parity between the Voyager team and the native inhabitants. These shows can have a certain National Geographic quality to them, with Starfleet as the Western adventurers peering at the exotic locals in faraway lands. While the humans descended from the other 37ers didn't have interstellar travel, they had developed quite a bit of technology on their own and their own utopian society. When the misunderstandings were worked out, the 37er descendants and Janeway interacted with each other as equals. Hopefully the two groups of humans traded information and technology, since it's the only opportunity either group will have to benefit from the experiences of other humans for the foreseeable future.

My only complaint with the episode was that having none of the thawed out 37ers stay on Voyager and none of the Voyager crew stay on the planet felt a little bit too neat and tidy.

Still, it was an important moment in their journey, because it meant they all chose to be there, rather than being forced by circumstances to be there.

I wish I could get into enterprise. I thought about going back to it and or buying the series in Blu Ray.
My biggest problem with "Enterprise" is that it should have been a lot more rough and tumble. It was a unique opportunity to not worry about the limitations imposed by Roddenberry's utopian society, and the show didn't take advantage of that. The NX-01 launched in 2151, less than a century and a half from now. The planet had only unified under one government a year prior, was only a few generations away from the post-atomic horror of World War III.

The crew of the first Enterprise should have been like the early astronauts, smart and well educated, yes, but also intensely driven with a high tolerance for risk. Instead, Archer and his crew felt straight out of the 24th century, and what we got was more of the same, done less well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks