What's new

Star Trek Voyager - A Thread for Fans (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm skipping all of the comments in fear of spoilers... but this is probably the most appropriate thread for my input.

i'm a long time trekkie. i've seen all of TOS, TAS, TNG, ENT, the movies, but missed both DS9&VOY.

recently, i caught up on a # of VOY season1 episodes. @first i thought i saw most of season1 sporadically over the years during syndicated UPN... but after watching, now, the first 11 episodes... i realized i've only seen the very first episode the Caretaker! i didn't watch any of the season1 while it was on the air! lol.

one thing i noticed is Janeway is very hawt. i luv the way she takes command of the ship >P. her performance gives the cast a "gravitas" much like TNG's stewart and DS9's avery did and even ENT's Bakula. i never really seen mulgrew's talents until i took a look at her performance. for many, many years i've read about how many trekkies dumped on VOY. & i kind of bought into it without really watching VOY myself closely... until now! boy are they wrong! i luv the skip and a hop taht janeway gives despite being 70k light years away. i also love that they really do miss home on a # of this first eps. janeway is really the emotional core/center of the series... very much UNLIKE the other male captains. u tend to feel more when u have a female lead vs. male lead.

barring, that i also loved the rest of the cast and how their relationships have evolved. harry&paris's friendship, the ma'quis trails and 'tribulation' if u will on being integrated into the ship. there's just so much more continuity than TNG/TOS era. i also loved the Doctor's rising humanity. just watched that beowulf ep. recently. very cool stuff =).

anyways, will be chiming in as soon as i start finishing episodes and seasons and so on =D.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know this is an appreciation thread. And my comment is more from disappointment than dislike. I felt the producers/writers missed a great opportunity with the ending of the show. The show was about the crew trying to get home. You spend 7 seasons with them hoping they do it. Yet, the big payoff is just seeing them arrive in orbit around Earth. I really felt they should have arrived home with at least 2-4 episodes left. Then used those episodes to show the impact of their 7 yr absence. While it wouldn't have been big action. It could have been great storytelling.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You know what? I'll retract some of my statements about how they handled the Maquis. I think there was tension for long enough and it was handled alright.

Watched Before and After. Wow! I didn't remember that the Year of Hell was prefaced! I've been enjoying season three. A couple of weekends ago, I was watching a lot of episodes and afraid I was sort of rushing through it, but season three has lasted a good while. I'm itching for some Seven now. Very soon.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've got a couple of questions after watching Dark Frontier yesterday. I could probably find the answer with a search, but I figure I'll give some of you a chance to show you know and maybe it's fodder for conversation.
Anyway, the Hansens were apparently tracking the Borg in the alpha quadrant with the Federation's full knowledge, though I think they did exceed their orders when they followed them to the Delta. The question, of course, is how did the Federation know about the Borg before the events of Q Who? Obviously, First Contact was before that time, but those events weren't general knowledge and if I remember right, those events were erased.

Also, the Queen says that Seven is unique in that she is the only drone to be deBorgified. What about those former drones Chakotay hung out with for a while?

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator
Having been laid off for what seems like forever the only luxury item in my budget is Netflix. I have caught up on Voyager and DS9 since I never saw those series when originally aired. I thought both were so-so. I am going through TNG now and I have to say I thought season 1 stunk to high heaven. I'm thinking perhaps my opinion of the other 2 were based on how I remember TNG being so great, which I have since found out was a figment of my imagination?

...or perhaps I am just getting old.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JimKr ">[/url]

Having been laid off for what seems like forever the only luxury item in my budget is Netflix. I have caught up on Voyager and DS9 since I never saw those series when originally aired. I thought both were so-so. I am going through TNG now and I have to say I thought season 1 stunk to high heaven. I'm thinking perhaps my opinion of the other 2 were based on how I remember TNG being so great, which I have since found out was a figment of my imagination?

...or perhaps I am just getting old.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just watched "Someone to Watch Over Me" last night. What a charming episode. Definitely one of my all-time favorites, and very important to me as it is the episode that pushed me to pursue my already growing interest in classic American pop. I have to watch out, because the first time I saw this episode, I developed a bit of a crush on Seven. She'd always been attractive (except for when she still looked like Victor Borge), but I had the same reaction the Doctor did to her this time around.

I thought it might have been a goof that the Doctor and Tom didn't know Seven could sing, but then I remembered that Tom was a US soldier and the Doctor stuck treating the crew on the Holodeck when she was last forced to use that particular talent.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Always enjoyed Voyager, mainly because of a good cast, particularly Kate Mulgrew. There were a few lame stories,but for seven years it's hard to keep the quality up. The only thing that really bothered me were the magical "resets" between episodes.Ship would be all beat to hell, massive damage, and poof, they're all restocked and the ship looks brand new, ready for the next episode.

Already own TNG and Enterprise, this one is next. Just watching for sales. Took somebody's advice on the Enterprise posts and am buying seasons separately.If you get a dud, it's a lot easier to return one season than risk shipping them all back and starting the trial/error process to make sure they all work.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I still can't believe I did this, but taking advantage of a very good sale over at DeepDiscount, I bought the complete Voyager set. It was the only Trek I didn't have. My wife and I have been enjoying all the other series and she convinced me to get it. The other thing that made me do it was that we watched all of Enterprise earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it - much more than when it was on TV. I am hoping my experience with Voyager will be similar. I will let you know what I think - at this point I haven't seen these episodes in 9-15 years.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've kind of stalled out at the end of season 6. Not that I'm not enjoying it, but with the TV season going, I don't have time. I'll try to watch some eps this weekend.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

Chiming in. I've not participated in a Voyager thread for some time. I've begun watching it again about a week and a half ago. I sort of jumped in in Season 3 and watched a chunk of Season 4 and now I've gone back and saw most of S1 and am almost through S2.

I think for some reason, I wanted to see Futures End. The 2 parter on Earth.

It's been a long time. I saw the series during broadcast and once when I got the DVD sets as they came out. So not too many times. I've been enjoying it. I never hated the series, though it didn't have as strong an impact as TOS.

Watching these spin off Star Trek series is sort of like any series that's been on for decades! Hawaii Five-0, Gunsmoke, etc. So I kind of see these shows like they're intimate stories from that Universe where the original luster has gone and they are exploring a broader palate within it. Nothing wrong with it and it has been an enjoyable ride!

So about Voyager, I find myself in a different place today compared to when I first saw the series in 1994-5. I'm seeing other stuff now that I didn't see. Overall, my reaction to each episode is pretty much the same as it was when I first saw them. Though there are some I enjoy more now then I originally did. Like Lifesigns. I am surprised, I like that one more now then originally. But my reaction to Deadlock is the same, I couldn't buy the idea, it was trying to be too high brow science fiction. The Quantum theory stuff is nice in theory, but it's basic idea is what I didn't lie about the 2009 Star Trek film. They are the same characters, duplicated. Yet the Harry Kim that lives and joins the other Voyager has the same dilemma I have. He's the same yet he's not. He's not on his real ship. But I did enjoy the acting and the characters. Though I have been avoiding The Thaw. I'll probably watch that one with an open mind, but I recall it didn't work for me.

To quote what someone said above, Janeway is hawt. I like her. She's a female Kirk in my view. Feminine yet strong. I saw Tuvix today. Seems like Memory Alpha had little to say for that episode's entry. I'm surprised. The producers called it goofy and I can see how fans didn't care for it. Too similar to The Enemy Within. But wirh the hindsight of Enterprise's Similitude, they both had a strong idea, do you have the right to take a life to save others. I felt the actor playing Tuvix nailed it. I thought Kes's situation was really rough on her! And Janeway had to play the role of the executioner at the and and I appreciate her take on it. She had to be the cold dispassionate person who has to do this dirty deed, it wasn't the perfect solution, but the one that had to be done.

Deathwish was another terrific episode, though I thought some bits were overplayed by the Voyager crew. They acted too much like the Enterprise crew would when they first meet Q. They've never met him before, I can see them being careful, but not so dismissive of him at first. I like how Q1 had to play the role of towing the company line this time as Q2 wants to kill himself!

There's more stuff I probably can't recall right now, But I may chime back if more post here. I'll end it for now by saying that I may have restarted my viewing of Voyager in S3 and 4, I chose to go back and review S1 and now S2. And I thought the first 2 seasons were very good and watchable.What I forgot and may not have noticed as much is the humor of some of the characters. Garrett Wang complains a lot of his role, but he had a lot to do. Sure, he may have wanted to push the envelope, but it wasn't his job. He sort of seems like the Wesley Crusher, he seems to know how to work out so many technical problems. I enjoy Tim Russ's take as a Vulcan now more then originally. I have more time away from TOS's Spock and can accept seeing other actors do Vulcans. I like Paris and his jokiness. Nelix isn't so bad, he's funny too. Torres I like too. Though In Faces, which I thought was a really strong show, I thought it would have been braver to leave her human in the end and make her character adapt and grow to be fully human.

More later.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, Ha. Cool Scott!

There was definitely some fun stuff going on in that episode. Now you see one reason I haven't had time to watch that Outer Limits episode. I'm sort of in Voyager mode now.

By the way,I was going to post in a "Where is the Love for Voyager" thread that was started wayyy back by several older members here. But it looks like most of them are gone now and that was a very critical thread. I thought this one might be better to go with.

I'm also amazed by watching the episodes, how well the creative people rebuilt those sets that were originally built for Star Trek Phase II in 1977, then redone for Star Trek The Motion Picture, then the films, then The Next Generation and then Voyager. If you study the sets, you can see that 10 Forward is the Voyager mess, Janeway's quarters is Picards, or redressed for Tuvak, etc. And Kim, or Paris quarter's was Data's or LaForge, etc. The main corridor was added to to add some length. The sickbay is in the exact same place as McCoy's. As is the transporter room. The odd thing about the Engineering set on TNG is that the original corridor set runs right into it and I think they added tempt walls to conceal that. For Voyager, they re-routed the corridor around the engineering set with a proper entrance for it. And the cargo bay is the same cargo bay used on TNG. Same Holodeck set too, just new walls.

I think I posted this in another thread, but it's fun to see.

http://pat.suwalski.net/film/trek-stages/

Click on the Stage 9 button.

Will be wrapping up Season 2 this weekend and onto S3 for episodes I skipped last week. I totally forgot how the Seska plotline evolved and the Jonas character being the traitor. It was good to re-familiarize myself with that. That was pretty un-Gene Roddenberry. As we know, he wouldn't be too crazy about having Starfleet people, even if they are Marquis, to act like that.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I started rewatching Voyager several months back, and am about to tuck in to the 6th season. I watched this show during its original run, and wasn't nearly as impressed or satisfied as I have been rewatching the show. Much, much better than I remembered, and I enjoyed it when it was on!

I saw Garret Wang at Comic-Con this year and snapped this shot...the longer hair suits him!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What was Wang doing at Comic-Con? He does not seem to be pursuing too much acting these days. He's still relatively young. I guess he either is doing well enough in other pursuits and was invited to run Dragon Con or he investing his Voyager earnings wisely!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just got done with pretty much all of Season 3, not everyone, there were a few clunkers, like Darkling. But a lot of good ones! Like the above mentioned Future's End.

One episode I had forgotten about was Worst Case Scenario. That was really well done and similar to the DS9 show where Dukat had rigged a program to protect the station. And a fun way to bring Seska back to further torture the Voyager crew. And some good verbal bantering too.

Since I already saw most of Season 3 and 4 a few weeks back, I had gone back to see the ones I saved for later. I watch The Killing game . That was really fun, but I always find it a bit disturbing when they do shows where the ship and crew is taken over when they've been able to repel attacks before in the past. They did it a few times on TNG where an alien takes over and convinces the crew they are a battle ship sent to destroy their enemy. Regardless, this was a fun set of two parters in S3. I like Microcosom and the Q episode. Though the Q and Grey wasn't as strong as the earlier installment, still fun to see Q.

What should have been the highlight of the season was Flashback. It was good, but it felt like they had this idea for Tuvok's brain problem and mashed it together with Sulu. While it made sense and hung together, it still felt like a tagged on story and not a organic as DS9's Star Trek tribute show. It's one of those no-win things.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Timeless was a better episode with a connection to another show. Not that Flashback was terrible. I need to get back started on my last season of Voyager.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Timeless was a good one, I saw it the other day!

Another thing I noticed about Worst Case Scenario. Janeway had a line at the end about one aspect of her re-writing Seska's program. She commented to the effect that "What was wrong with using Deux ex machina to save the day". I forget exactly how the line went. No doubt a sly comment by the writers to the critics of the show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

My favorites from season three (non-prioritized) are Flashback, The Chute, False Profits (I loved the completion of this one, started in TNG), the aforementioned Future's End, Remember, Macrocosm (IMO one fo the best from this season), Alter Ego, Coda, Distant Origin, Worst Case Scenario, and of course, Scorpion (pt. 1). I also liked Real Life and Blood Fever somewhat, but I'll have to watch a few of the others (e.g., Rise!, Before and After, Unity, and Displaced) again to refresh my memory regarding those episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks