What's new

Star Trek VI transfer AR (UPDATE: Martin Blythe responds! see msg. 103) (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

The Star Wars trilogy was recut before the advent of DVD.

With the The Exorcist, Blatty had been pushing for a new cut since the film premiered. The 25th Anniversary was the catalyst that helped convince Friedkin to make some revisions.

Apocalypse Now: Redux is in its own special category. It's not a director's cut, but instead an alternate cut. It's not meant to take the place of the theatrical cut, which was never pushed out of print by Redux. Certainly Coppola used DVD as a means to distribute the film, but it was inevitable that he was going to revisit Apocalypse Now.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Redux is considered the definitive cut of the movie -- this is stated in the DVD insert if I remember correctly.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

The insert says nothing. The word "definitive" is used once on the back cover of the DVD and can hardly be taken as the "definitive" word from the filmmakers.

Either way, "Redux" is a bad example to support your thesis that films are being re-edited because of DVD. If that were true, why did "Redux" get a much-heralded theatrical release? The same question could be asked about The Exorcist, the new version of which generated substantial box office.

M.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This thread has turned from Star Trek to a subject I'd think deserves it's own discussion thread.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

The same thing happens in every thread about a film that's been re-edited. If someone wants to start a new thread on the general subject of recuts, they're free to do so. This thread will remain open, because it contains important information about ST:VI.

M.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, but it's already true as I explained why in several posts. Previously re-cut movies before 1997 doesn't disprove my point about a growing, recent trend and DVD has *some* kind of influence. As stated to the effect previously, Alien is the most recent example we have seen.

On any rate, I have no more to say about the matter as I agree with the moderator that this has gotten off topic.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
If there is 0% overscan, some of the data imbedded in the vertical blanking interval may show up on the lower border of the screen as little annoying flashing white dots...

Also, you never know what may show up outside the "Action Safe" area of a video signal, either.

While overscan should be as small as possible, a little bit may be desirable.

2:1 is pretty close to 1.78:1, but I would suspect that on a video monitor calibrated to minimize overscan, you'd be able to detect small black bars.

-Scott

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
BTW, The Digital Bits has revised the specs in their review of this DVD to state a 2.0:1 ratio now.

Thanks for the info Martin. I guess I'll have to drop the issue now (still not happy, but I didn't film it).

Joel

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
2:1 is not "pretty close" to 1.78:1- there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between those two ratios! There should DEFINITELY be noticeable black-bars on a "properly calibrated" 16:9 set showing a 2:1 movie. If there aren't, the A. either the transfer in question is NOT truly 2:1, or B. there is WAY too much overscan on the television set in question, and as such it is FAR from "properly calibrated".

Hell, I saw some HD clips from APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX being shown on a consumer Plasma HDTV set at the local Best Buy, and I could see black bars on that. And what's the APR aspect ratio, about 1.9:1? If you can see those black bars, you should most certainly see black bars on a 2:1 STAR TREK VI, and if you don't, then something is wrong, either with your television set, or the transfer itself.

Vincent

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Vincent is correct. Doing some quick maths, I think the formula is

% vertical overscan (per bar) = 50 * ( ( (a.r.)/1.78 ) - 1 )

so if a.r is 2:1, overscan would be >6% to hide both black bars.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The difference with Apocalypse Now, Tucker etc is that those films were shot in anamorphic (Technovision) and the 2:1 transfers lose image to the left and right, where as ST:VI was shot in Super 35 and were opened up to vertically to 2:1.

The heliccopter assault in Apocalypse Now is grander at the full 2.40:1, of course, with more helicopters being visable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks