What's new

Star Trek V:CE due on 10/14 (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
I pulled out my old copy of V (which I've had since 1999), and realized it isn't even anamorphic, so I put it up on Amazon and it already sold for $15. Nice.

And yeah, bring on VI, my favorite too. Except for IV.

Gerry A

Agent
One of the deleted scenes probably includes Sybok's army marching through the desert. I saw photos of it from either the novelization or Shatner's book.

Scott Varney

Agent
Penny Juday showed the Rock Man footage at a convention July 4th weekend. Don't get too excited... it's only test footage and less than a minute long.

She did also show a small part of the Herman Zimmerman tribute. Looked like it could be pretty good.

The best part thing she showed though was the tribute to Matt Jeffries to be included on the Generations SE. No date though.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'll be the first to say it... no director's cut, no sale!

This was a pathetic decision on the part of Paramount. It wouldn't have hurt (and they probably would have sold 50 times the discs that they will now), and they let Robert Wise do it for Star Trek 1 for goodness sake!

Dan

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I just have to go back to the fact that even if they let Shatner fiddle with it... It's still not gonna be a good movie. Unless he got rid of Row Your Boat, Go Climb a Rock, Scotty bumping his head, Sulu and Chekov lost, Uhura's dance, Those jet boots and seeing the same floors of the Enterprise whiz by. Not to mention there were too many floors and they were going backwards.

But hey, that's just me.

Ric

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Scotty bumping his head is the best laugh of the movie!

But, as for Row Row Your Boat, I find the film improves quite a notch if you subtely tap the "next chapter" button on the remote as the final campfire round threatens and slip songlessly into the credits.... :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
As I said in my earlier post, this does look good, and I'll be getting it, but I'm a little disappointed that once again we don't get to hear from Doohan, Nichols, Takei, or Koenig in the special features. Perhaps they can still be included in the supplements for VI.

I know some of them are not particularly fond of Shatner, but I don't think they've ever had a problem with each other, and I know they're all proud to be a part of Star Trek. Perhaps a separate commentary? Or maybe an all-inclusive documentary covering the entire Star Trek phenomenon from the cast's point-of-view. I know there has been extensive coverage of the series for years, but this is really an opportunity to step back and really look at the whole thing, at least as far as the original cast is concerned.

I guess we'll see. In the meantime, V seems like a good couple of discs.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
This was a pathetic decision on the part of Paramount. It wouldn't have hurt (and they probably would have sold 50 times the discs that they will now), and they let Robert Wise do it for Star Trek 1 for goodness sake!
Ermmm... you seem to be implying that a great and respected director like Robert Wise is LESS deserving than a first-time "director" like Shatner. Frankly, Star Trek V needs more than a few "tweaks" to fix it, it needs to have a script.

-Scott

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I too hope that VI will have some input from the other Trek regulars. It's the last movie to properly feature the TOS cast, and a retrospective documentary would be great. A cast commentary would be even better, perhaps done in the edited Q&A style of Shatner and Nimoy's commentary for IV. Stuff like this would be a neat book-end for the TOS movies on dvd. (I can only hope that VI arrives in it's original 2.35:1 theatrical projection ratio.) As it is, I'm very impressed with the work that Paramount has put in for the re-released Trek dvds, and V looks like another great package. I like the movie as well, so this dvd will be a real treat for me, and excruciating torture for others.:D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Ermmm... you seem to be implying that a great and respected director like Robert Wise is LESS deserving than a first-time "director" like Shatner.
Ya beat me to it Scott. :)

I too would have like to have seen a new cut of this flick... but I also agree that it probably wouldn't help very much. But, as I said above, sounds like a pretty good CE...so I'll be addin' it to the collection. :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I agree with earlier comments that the supporting cast members of TOS to be included on a commentary track and/or interview to wrap up their involvement in this franchise. Their POV from today would interesting. I've not seen them at a convention for many years.

Also would be interesting to see them do more tribute pieces as was done on Trek4 for Roddenberry and Mark Lenard. Particularly the people who made great contributions that shaped TOS, such as DeForest Kelley, Gene Coon, etc.
And for those still living, in addition to Matt Jeffries, John DF Black, Robert Justman and Herbert Solow, make up designer Fred Phillips, costume designer Bill Theiss( I don't know if they have passed), etc. With Star Trek 6 the last TOS film, it would be great to see all those that made the original show what is was and how they paved the way.

Nelson

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Rex-

While I don't really know for sure, I have a sense Matt Jeffires was with us as recently as 2001 for the eBay auctions of historic Star Trek materials from TOS. I hope he is doing okay.

One other name I meant to add to my list who contributed to TOS was Wah Chang. He designed and built many of the props, the Gorn and the Salt Vampire. Before Trek, he did The Outer Limits and George Pal's The Time Machine.

Nelson

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Daniel Kikin wrote (post #36):

Boy, will he be glad to know he's still alive! Hmmm, I could swear one of the Star Trek books had referred to him as the "late Matt Jeffries" in describing why the Jeffries tubes were named after him. I must've gotten my Star Trek production personnel mixed up. Sorry.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm impressed. We're already 13 posts into this thread and nobody has chimed in with "No Director's Cut--No Sale!!"
Okay. No director's cut = no sale! Actually, when I saw this film it seemed to me to be comprised exclusively of deleted scenes, so this will be the one in the entire series I don't buy on DVD. When I had the laser, though, I actually made a very clean edit on an S-VHS recorder that eliminated the sillier stuff (read: ROW ROW ROW YOUR BOAT)and came up with a film twenty minutes shorter and about eight times as good (IMO). I, too, wish they'd allowed Shatner to revise his film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks