What's new

Star Trek TOS Special Edition Starts Sept 16th. (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...cle/25055.html
^if you guys the "making of" short video clips, you can see what they're trying 2do =). i think it's fairly beneficial. my fav part of the process is taking the original negatives and zapping hair particles, dirt, scratches, THAT copy is to die for =). i'm glad they FINALLY did it! now we have to wait for the HD-DVD/BR TOS set to come out! =). looks like 2008 or 2009 before we can get our hands on a copy.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Pretty cool video below. Before you click on it, yes, I like Star Trek too. I'm not making fun of Star Trek by linking it, I just think it's a really clever video. I just thought I would save some time by mentioning that before you watch it.

http://gorillamask.net/startreknin.shtml

Doug

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. At least, optimistic enough to give it a chance and watch it.

Question #1: How many here prefer the Extended Editions of Lord of the Rings to the original theatrical versions?

Question #2: How many here think that George Lucas would receive a lot less criticism if he were to make both versions of Star Wars available?

http://trekmovie.com/2006/09/06/trek...being-changed/

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The one clip they show of the Enerprise from the link above was good. As they said the stars were the same, and the track of the ship was the same. In a week i will have seen the first episode.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The worst thing I've heard lately is that they are doing this shot for shot... what's the point? If you're going to go the CGI route, why not really show what could have been had they had the tech of today. Especially if their intent is to make it palatable to today's audience.

I sat down and watched The Man Trap as part of TV Land's 40th tribute. Keep in mind, this perspective is brought to you by someone who hasn't seen but a handful of the 'classic' episodes (Journey to Babel, City on the Edge of Forever) and grew up during the heyday of TNG. If this episode is representative of a syndication cut, I can't imagine how ponderously long a full episode must seem. It seemed to drag on forever! Not to mention the effects were hideous. It's really a shame they aren't applying the CGI tech to the salt vampire transitions... that would go a long way to solving some of my problems with the episode, though nothing can scrub the crappy ending and Spock's high-pitched "She's *killing* the captain" out of my brain right now.

I'd like to see CGI retouched on all make-up, interior graphic displays & SFX. For instance, the signage on Dr. McCoy's door in the episode instantly drew me out of the future and back to the 60s. It would be so easy to overlay CGI with something similar to signage in the TOS movies.

I'm less excited about the new remastered episodes the more I hear.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

You know, I hate to agree, but I do. In this case, since the originals are already released, and TOS is the ONLY series that dosn't mesh with the rest of them, even the movies, I'd love for them to remaster the interiors as well, so they resemble the movie Enterprise more closley. Seeing great exterior improvements, and then just seeing those one color corridor walled sets is kind of weird looking. But, if the majority of the episodes are dull and boring, even improving effects won't make them less so. Probably one of the reasons why I stayed away from watching the entire series for so long.

But, either way, I'll be watching on the NY HD feed and posting pics if anyone wants 'em..

*edit* Maybe when these are released on Blue-Ray, and if the public reception to them is generally warm, they can get the interiors done as well. For now it just seems like one big experiment to see how the general public would take it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
David-You happen to see one of the weaker episodes that does not truely represent Star Trek at it's best.

Neil- I don't think this is an experiment. And there is not going to be much modification to any of the live action shots, graphics on the main viewscreen will be done though.

Below is part of the post I did on the other Star Trek thread. (I would have thought the mods would have merge the threads by now!) Thought I'd repeat it here for those who might find it informative:

I just came back from Seattle for the Star Trek 40th Gala Celebration. I only attended Friday and Saturday.

Saturday morning, I got into the main room late and caught the later portion of an extended video of the one seen on Star Trek.com. This video shows what they are doing for the Enhanced Star Trek. The part that we haven't seen are actual clips from the show and more coverage of the effects work and title track music redo. What I saw was a new CGI shot of the Enterprise fly-by, a quick glimpse of the Romulan Bird of Prey and the Enterprise firing photon torpedos. (The slight error on Balance of Terror where Kirk orders phasers point blank at the Romulan ship, but they show photon torpedos is retained if the clips shown are from Balance of Terror). And I saw the CGI Enterprise orbiting a CGI Earth.

I wished I knew they were showing this and seen the whole thing. From what I saw, it looked like what they said they'd do. Essentially replace the original effects shots with new shots in CGI, shot for shot, same angles and POV.

The emcee said we can see these in one week as you all know. I am excited to see these remastered shows. I can see they genuinely cared and I understand their reasons for doing it. While it sounded like they were potentially doing a George Lucas, it's not the case. We will see Star Trek's original live action film elements looking sharper, cleaner and more colorful then ever and complimented with the new enhanced effects. And the original Star Trek with original effects are also remastered and my understanding is in HD.

Still no news if we will see it on any home video optical disc format. But I'm sure they will let us have them.

And a personal comment; I really don't believe this effort was done solely for the motivation of generating more income with a known money making property by Paramount. Of course they know they have a large built-in fan base. But I think they recognize that Star Trek is a part of Americana and that they wanted to celebrate the series on it's 40th birthday. This is one way to preserve the series in the highest quality possible and to make it stand up to the high definition equipment we have or will have.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i just checked tvguide.com and balance of terror is broadcasting next sunday morning around 2:30AM in both SD and HD channels. whether or not it will broadcast IN HD on the HD channel remains to be seen =). there's still a LOT of SD content on HD channels.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Ok, NOW I'm confused. The Billy Joel looking guy in the clip on StarTrek.com just said, "we're going to give you shots of the enterprise, different angles of the enterprise then you've seen before simply because they couldn't do the type of camera moves that we can today..."

Isn't this completely the opposite of, "we are maintaining the look of the old FX shots and re-doing them shot for shot"

parodox, much?

Which is correct? I guess we'll know in one week.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Your post in the other thread is what led me to make my observations.

Dave is right though... which is it: Shot for shot or new angles? I'm rooting for the new angles come Saturday night.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, we'll all know for sure next week. The clips that I saw were very short and limited. But the shots that I did see matched angles that we are all familiar with. The one shot of the Enterprise at an angle in Balance Of Terror after the nucluer device goes off I bet will be altered a bit so it won't look like the shot was tilted as it does now. That's probably what the Billy Joel looking guy meant.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yup, doesn't surprise me. They will release these on HD or BD down the line and that will be the selling point. "For the first time ever in HD!!"

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If they're going to do this, I'd actually like to see more than simply re-doing existing shots. There are a lot of moments in the original series that are hampered by the budget, like "invisible ships" or the use of a Klingon cruiser for a Romulan ship in "The Enterprise Incident."

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Nelson, thanks for the link, it was great to see. My mouth is watering now for Saturday when the "The Ship Hit's the Fan" love it.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
David, why do you keep repeating the same questions as though it was the first time? Such as "The Billy Joel looking guy..." Paradox, much?

Repetitive, much?

Britton

Screenwriter
Huh, looks like they were serious when they said they'd be honoring the original effects with this CGI upgrade. Not much to complain about so far judging from those video clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks