What's new

Star Trek TOS Special Edition Starts Sept 16th. (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I posted a link on post #53. According to the site, the SF Bay area lists KBHK/KPIX.

Dave, in the article on the Trekmovie.com site, the syndicated enhanced Trek is scheduled for 2 years. So home video versions, if any since none are announced, won't be out till after this period is over. So they say.:)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
In Tulsa, Oklahoma, it airs at either 10 p.m. or 10:30 p.m. on Sunday nights. Paramount/CBS/"Star Trek" is not trying to bury the show. It is syndicated. It is up to local broadcast stations as to when it should be aired. If this was going to air without the new effects, I wouldn't watch at all, because I have all the shows memorized practically, and I can watch a much better version on DVD than what my local CBS affiliate will be airing, since the only HD content they provide is only that passed through the network. As it is now, I will certainly be watching.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
That's do-able!

http://trekmovie.com/2006/09/06/trek...being-changed/

"...Remastered in HD, but not available in HD?
One of the areas of confusion lately is regarding the availability to see the show in HDTV. TrekMovie.com was told that some stations would be carrying the show in HD, but since that time no listings (including on digital HD stations) seem to be in HD. When asked about this Nogawksi said that all the remastered episodes are ‘available’ in HD format, however there are issues regarding affiliates abilities to store the show in HD so for now it is being distributed in SD. He went on to say that as time went on they would try and work with affiliates who wanted to show Star Trek Remastered in HD. So it appears for the time being that the only place to see Star Trek Remastered in HD is at CBS Paramount headquarters. Another lingering question that is also vexing our friend Bill Hunt at Digital Bits, revolves around the format for the HD versions of the show. CBS said that the show in syndication was in standard 4:3 ratio, but the new HD master was in 16:9 widescreen. What is unclear is if this widescreen version crops the original show, or if it has ‘letterbox’ black bars on the left or right. Expect updates as more info comes out about HD, ratios, etc..."

Sounds like it won't be available in HD at least for now...

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
this is the same problem that happened to enterprise syndication runs, not broadcast in HD on channels that are reserved for HD normally during primetime (as you trekkies know, ENT was broadcast in HD during the 1st run for those lucky, or unlucky depending on your POV, enough to have caught it). i wonder if it *really* saved $ by simultaneously broadcasting the same SD to HD and SD channels. i thought it'd be the same $ since they would have streamlined everything for HD... but if HD continues to incur a negative cost in labor or broadcast issues... won't this impede a speedier adaptation of HD in general? i'm betting that 2009 will be pushed back even further to 2015, 2020, etc.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Mike i just checked TV Guide online, and my TiVo. I show it on ch. 41 Sat. the 16th (my B day by the way) at 11PM at night. I think it reruns a few hours later. They may very well run it on Sunday night too.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
EDIT: Oops! I missed the fact that there was another page to the thread already. Original post follows

I did a search in TVguide.com's listings for the San Francisco area and found that the remastered TOS is airing on KBCW at 11:00 PM PDT on Saturdays, but curiously also found a listing for 12:00 AM PDT on Monday the 18th with the next week's episode, Miri. Anyone else need a listing? :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Uh... Jerome... that clip has nothing to do with the "new" show. Sorry.

The Trek Enhanced clip was done some time ago by Daren Docherman (sp), who was involved with the CG for the TMP Directors Cut on DVD.

The guy is good... however he's not involved with this project. See his site at www.trekenhanced.com as I believe he put up a statement about all of this.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
ummm...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, NOW I'm confused. The Billy Joel looking guy in the clip on StarTrek.com just said, "we're going to give you shots of the enterprise, different angles of the enterprise then you've seen before simply because they couldn't do the type of camera moves that we can today..."

Isn't this completely the opposite of, "we are maintaining the look of the old FX shots..."

parodox, much?

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Rick, yes, channel 41 is also airing the revised Star Trek series, and CBS is airing it where they used to air "Enterprise" on Sunday nights. Also, if anyone gets New York WNBC, either because they live in New York or through DirecTV like I do, they will be airing the revised Star Trek on Sunday nights also (albeit at 3:35 a.m.). I receive the HD feed from WNBC, but their Star Trek will not be in HD.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I have only just now looked at the work done on The Doomsday Machine. I've heard horrible things about it in this thread or the other one, and frankly, I just don't get it. I think the guy did a marvelous job. The enhanced effects are very faithful to the original, yet they are "enhanced," and they don't take you out of the show at all. If this is the kind of work CBS will be doing, I will be very pleased.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot

There was another much earlier attempt at CGI upgrading over 6 years ago by a group called Digital Stream. The guys working on it were Rich Heierling, Doug Johnson and Jon Peoples. They tested it out on "The Doomsday Machine" too. That's the one that sucked big time. The Enterprise was way out of proportion and detailed wrong with all kinds of way-out-of-scale hull plating on the surface. The Doomsday machine itself was rather silly looking - similar to the original concept except smoother and some green "ears" on each side of the opening and a rather flat looking spinning wheel of yellow, orange and white inside it.

I kept a copy of the old mpegs on my harddrive to give myself a good laugh when I need it.

I guess the exercise was a good attempt, but it was just not ready.

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
Looks like the "new" Trek will be show on Sundays @ 6PM in the Raleigh/Durham NC area on WRDC, the old UPN28.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks