What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 2 Blu Ray official (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Trekmovie reports today that Star Trek TOS Season 2 Blu Ray is official now. Earlier it was reported, but not confirmed.

The release date is September 22, 2009. MSRP is $116.99 but of course, based on the pricing of the Season One Blu Ray set, it should be far less.

No details yet on the extras. But like S1, seamless branching between original optical effects and the new CGI is a part of the features.

This is the first time Season 2 will be out on high definition. S1 was on HD-DVD with pretty much all the features included on the BD. But S2 was never released on HD-DVD, though it was reported that extras and supplements were being prepared at the time. So it will be interesting to see upcoming reports of the contents.

Comic Con, which is scheduled at the end of July, will see a Paramount presence and they intend to make a lot more Star Trek announcements then for other blu ray products.

Season Three of TOS is expected in early 2010.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/09/star-trek-season-2-blu-ray-coming-september-22nd-more-trek-home-video-announcements-at-comic-con/

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I wonder if we will see a 50% discount on it like we did for season 1. Best Buy and Amazon were fightin' for my money!

Eric F

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by RickER

I wonder if we will see a 50% discount on it like we did for season 1. Best Buy and Amazon were fightin' for my money!
Surely, if not just wait long enough and someone will have it on sale. I still haven't picked up S1 and plan on picking it up at Deep Discount's 25% off sale next week.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Finally! A street date. Not that I can just run out and plop down the cash on day one. Got a new baby on the way and we're in the process of house hunting, so I'll have to just put it on my amazon.com wish list. Christmas is only a little less than six months away... Glad to know when it's coming, at any rate. Looking forward to reading those reviews.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I'll be buying S2 as well. I haven't decided on S3 yet, that season was not as good as the first two. Star Trek was moving into Lost in Space territory by then and the writing wasn't as good. There were still some gems in there though, like The Tholian Web. Maybe I'll wait on that one for a sale down the road. S2 will be a release week purchase.

BTW, thanks for the excellent inserts for S1 Nelson, fantastic job.

On the Season One Blu Ray set, there seems to be a mistake with "City on the Edge of Forever." In the scene where Spock is showing Kirk the effects of Edith's life on history, the original effects angle button is engaged, but you can't see the original effects, only the remastered effects. It may be my player. Can anyone else see the original effects in this scene?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just happen to see it yesterday and I was able to watch it either way. I did it via the pop-up menu while the episode is playing instead of the angle button on my remote. It works better on my player to do it this way. The new tricaorder screen effects is very subtle, and Photoshop-y Not a bad thing.

By the way, I don't watch this episode that often to keep it's power when I do watch it. I noticed two things, the image is so clear, you can see all the dirt on McCoy's tunic when he catches the rodent and is talking about sewing up people like garments. The tunic looks like it was dirty from the next scene when he falls on the ground. So it appears the scenes are shot out of sequence, he falls first, then they shot the earlier scene.

The other thing that's fantastic about TCOTEOF is the restoration of the original music score. As many of you know, all previous editions on laserdisc and video tape had the song Goodnight Sweetheart removed and the musical score portions that accompany it removed due to music rights. But the sequence that was terrific was the scene after Kirk catches Edith as she falls down the stairs. Right after that you here a short piece that's very moody and similar if not exact to a piece on The Twilight Zone.

Fun stuff to chat about while we wait for more info on Season 2.

The last shots with Kirk and Spock do not work with my player either way I try it, via the pop up or the angle button. The first scenes with the tricorder work, but the last scene where Spock is re-running the footage is the remastered version, even though the angle button is activated.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Eric- I don't know what to say. I can see both the original and remastered effects during both times Kirk and Spock are replaying the footage on the tricorder.

What player do you have? I have a Sony 550 and I never did an update for the firmware. Perhaps your player needs an update of the firmware.

I have a Sony 550. It's weird because it works on every effects shot in the set execpt for these couple of shots.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Eric- I went back and rechecked for you, I was curious. You're right, I assumed it was okay during the second sequence when they are watching the tricorder, I can only see the enhanced effects. Must be a glitch.

There may have been discussion of this on another thread. It's possible and I vaguely recall some issues mentioned for the Season One set.

I see you're new here, Eric. Welcome to the HTF! You'll find that the admins here prefer the discussions to stay on topic. Since this thread is about Season Two, most of the owners of Season One may not be looking here. You should post this quesiton on the appropriate thread and see if anyone can chime in or do a earch.

This is one thread you can check out or try to post the question at:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/283043/paramount-press-release-star-trek-tos-season-one-blu-ray/150

Or this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/281728/star-trek-tos-season-1-coming-to-bd-in-may-what-we-know-so-far/90

I'm surprised I missed this problem!

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Hi guys.

I have found that a couple of times they just flat-out left out the original fx.

I think it was in shots where it wouldn't be obvious it was a 'new' shot----as in a 'space' or 'main viewer' shot.

I'm racking my brains for an example I caught the other day.

But the proof of this would be to select the origianl fx from the get-go and then see if the original shot is included at all.

Oh, I think I have it............

In 'Arena' they slightly enhanced the 'sparkly' effect when the Metron appears. Before it was a very subtle bit of flecking around the alien. In the new FX they made it a little more noticable. I'm pretty sure they left out the original version altogether.

I'm sure that with the literally hundreds & hundreds of FX changes they probably let a couple slip by without knowing it.

Anyway, I'll check on both examples in question---Arena & City---and perhaps you can as well and I'll get back later.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Well, I was wrong about that shot from Arena.

They DO include both versions. It's just hard to access 'on the fly' during some of the changes.

As for the 'City' glitch.............

They actually show the tri-corder 3 times.
Twice during the first scene and once during the second.
The original version can be accessed during both shots of the first scene, but i couldn't get it to change during the second. I'm not 100% sure there was any change to the tri-corder close-up during that second sequence. I'm going to borrow a copy of the old set to compare.

I still think I had found a case where they had left out the original FX in one episode, but i didn't write it down so I'm not sure what it is.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Funny, I watched Arena last night too. And using the pop-up menu, I timed it right and when the Metron was talking, I could see it change from enhanced to original.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did miss a thing or 2 for the BD set. I should check my HD-DVD set too. That would be proof that they did miss this.

Camper, I'll do one more check on the BD and the HD-DVD of City on the Edge later and report back. I'm really curious now.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I think the 'FIX' of the second tricorder scene was very subtle. I get an indicatin the 'angle' is changing but I don't see anything dramatic happen. I think they cleaned up the vintage video a bit rather than altering the 'video noise' as they did twice in the earlier scene.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
It's tricky to change from original to CGI during the episode. Have you tried just selecting the original version from the main menu, then fast-forwarding/chapter skipping to shots you want to examine? It's harder to compare on the fly. Maybe I'll check it out the next time I watch CotEoF.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks