What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 1 coming to BD in May-what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So what does that make the likely street price? Considering that there are many fans willing to pay any price, I doubt we'll see any deals.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'll take a guess the street price will be near $80.00, maybe a tad higher at some vendors.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more reaction to this news. There was a flurry of posts for the blu ray announcement of the 6 TOS films. I'm actually more excited about TOS coming out. Though I am really excited about the films coming, TOS is the thing! Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King.( if you'll excuse a slight misuse of that Hamlet line
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

I guess I can understand, TOS has been issued 3 times on DVD, the third time being HD-DVD/SD and now the 4th time on Blu ray within a year of the last S3 set.

At anyrate, I am really looking forward to this release!

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
The original series set will be awesome with the original effects in HD and the mono tracks.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Though at least the Blu-rays are offering new stuff; we never got S2/S3 remastered in HD before (just S1), nor any of the pre-remastering in HD. That makes it an upgrade even for fussy old rustbuckets like I may resemble. ;)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I've never owned any of the sets or films of Star Trek, but these sets look pretty sweet to me. Apart from the horrible looking cover art, that is.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
From the Bits:

"The Starfleet Access feature on the episode The Galileo Seven (from the original HD-DVD release) has been dropped on the Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One Blu-ray to make room for other features."

I never owned the HD-DVD version so I don't know what I'm missing. However, I have to ask: what other features? Everything appears to be the same, unless they're adding more material that wasn't covered in the initial announcement. (Or the seamless branching and DTS track take up too much space.)

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
It's possible that it's the problem, that they're running right to the wire on disc space--but comparing disc 3 to disc 4, I find that hard to believe. (I think both discs should have about the same amount of replacement material, while disc 4's featurette is actually shorter.)

I'm also wondering what happened to the "Conscience of the King" text commentary, since that isn't being wrapped into a Starfleet Access piece.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I'll be all over it, since it's confirmed to include the original versions - both effects and sound. And I never expected that the mono soundtrack would ever be heard again.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis

Well the 2007 HD-DVD version DID CONTAIN the mono soundtracks......

You had your choice of Dolby True 5.1 or mono for the hi-def side of the disc.

For the standard side just the Dolby 5.1

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot

That, I didn't know.

I was staying out of the whole hi-def war at the time and didn't bother to see what the HD-DVD set offered - beyond being only the CGI'd versions.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks