What's new

Star Trek TOS re-release? (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Unless you're totally blasé about it one way or the other, be prepared to do a great deal of disc-switching if you want to run the series in the 1970's production order that the previous 2-episode DVDs were in (and all the VHS tapes and laserdiscs going back more than two decades, for that matter).

The DVD producers were kind enough to display a number denoting the later chronological/production order placement of each respective episode -- for instance, although "The Man Trap" is the first one on Disc 1, it has an "06" next to it (sixth in syndication)...Episode #2, "Where No Man Has Gone Before," has an "02" next to it, despite it being placed third in the NBC sequence, et al.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Amazon has raised their price as well, from $52 per season a couple of days ago to $69.99 currently. Still better than $103 or whatever they used to have as their price, I guess, but annoying all the same...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Why don't they restore the NBC peacock to the beginning of these 1960's color NBC TV shows.

" The following program is brought to you in living color on NBC. "

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

Ah-ha! Perhaps that's another reason we won't see the Blooper Reel on any Star Trek video media issue. (I use the term video media to refer to SD DVD, HD or BD or whatever future format) The Blooper Reel includes a clip of the NBC logo playing backwards and upside down with the normal voice over "...In Living Color....".

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
If memory serves me correct the Laugh-In DVD releases had the peacock and the "In Living Color" announcement at the beginning of each episode.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Costco has the season sets of Star Trek OS for $45 each. They currently do not have the bundled complete series that they have had in the past.

Greg K

Second Unit
I've been debating whether or not to get the TOS season sets, and to donate the 40-volume series to my Trekkie aunt, who doesn't have the financial resources to buy the series.

Is it worth the upgrade? I heard that the original 2-episodes-per-disc releases have missing scenes/music/sound effects, which have been corrected for the boxsets. Can anyone provide details? Where could I get the best deal on the boxsets?

Also, I've heard that the DVDs have alterations, particularly in the audio tracks and "Next Week/Voyage" preview trailers. Can someone give more details?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Well, you certainly wouldn't want to see ST:TNG Season 1 in production order, since Tasha Yar would be alive in the episode following the one where she died!

-Lyle J.P.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd revive this thread. Star Trek Remastered, that is currently airing on CW stations with new CGI effects, may be out on DVD this year, 2007.

This news is purely rumour at this point, in my opinion. A news story on a trek site connects this to news from CES that new HD-DVD's coming will have content that includes the Original Star Trek series. I think they are conjecturing that these will be the new Star Trek Remasters and in Hi Definition.

Past reports have never stated that the show will be released on any home video format or when. So this would be the first somewhat credible news that it is coming. Adn much sooner then previously thought. Some specualtion was the series would not be released on HD-DVD unti all the remasters are done, late 2008.

This news might be more appropriate for the HD Software section, but then it is about a TV show.

TomIXG

Grip
Real Name
Tom
Yes. Bring on the HD of these. The new effects are well done and doesn't change the show.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks