What's new

Star Trek TOS DVD/HD-DVD coming (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au,
Thanks for the link & getting us back on track!
Don't know about that Corvette Yellow packaging!!! ;-)

There are two kinds of art: The kind I like & the kind I don't like.
JJ!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure the color is not quite properly represented there. But it makes sense, the SD box sets for season one was yellow gold to represent the command color uniforms. It follows that the Season Two set will likely be blue and the Third Season will be red.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Are folks actually going to support this, and rebuy all 3 seasons again in HD? How good can 1960's film prints be made to look?

Why are the powers that be forcing us to start over, and support a brand new DVD format.

I find this disgusting... Understand, I'm not knocking Star Trek fans here. I just can't fathom the idea of having another antiquated machine sitting around unusable.

3 years ago I bought a Runco DLP projector, spent over 3000 for it, and now even it's going to be obsolete.

OK- Done venting... Hope the set is everything you hope for. I have TOS on DVD, and I obviously plan on sticking with those.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The age of a movie or TV show is meaningless. The increase in resolution between the two formats means that this is going to blow the SD DVDs out of the water.

Look in the HD thread for The Adventures Of Robin Hood- that's nearly 70 years old and it looks amazing.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
A small question I would interject here. It may go without saying but it's best to know. These "remastered" episodes will include the ENTIRE original running time for each show, right?

I've seen all these redone episodes and most just update the "frame" or sequences where the ship arrives in orbit of some planet and then leaves at end. All that transpires planetside is pretty much left as is.

My very real concern is that what they've been airing for these shows is a badly butchered, edit wise, print of each episode. Way too much has been cut out. If that is what is being put on the discs and not the COMPLETE episode, then Paramount is really doing us all a disservice and is wasting our time or at least those of us who are really interested.

I could take them or leave them. I'm 52 and remember loving them as a kid during their original broadcast. Why screw with them? This is another practice like Colorization that I abhor. The BBC did something similar with Doctor Who ("The Five Doctors," etc.) and that pissed me off royally.

If anyone knows for sure I would like some enlightenment. Thanks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Paramount has restored the picture and updated the effects of the entire episode - the broadcasts just cut them in order to sell more ads. I think that the full versions are actually made available on the Xbox Live service. The new HD-DVD boxed set will almost certainly include the full runtime versions.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This question of uncut episodes has crop up a lot recently. You can bank on it that they are full uncut episodes. If they weren't, you'd see another uproar. Some episodes might, and that's my conjecture, be ever so slightly longer due to some tweaking of the added CGI effects. And at the most 2 or 3 seconds. My opinion based on what was done with The Doomsday Machne where they slightly altered the way the shuttle with Decker on board leaves the Enterprise, the sound effects don't match the visuals. It's really minor and you have to know what to look for. Or the edits there were due to the syndication cuts. We'll know for sure when the discs are out.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Something to note is that the current Paramount syndicated versions that are shown on TVLand (these are with the original effects) are cut identicaly as the remastered ones. The same scenes are cut in both versions.

Editing classic TV shows on modern cable is a fact of life and it is one of the selling points for DVD sets(even though there are instances of shows turning up edited on DVD sets. These are usually do to a mistake or loss of unedited material).

They will be unedited, as they were on the previous DVD's.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Because of the CGI, some of the scenes fadeout earlier than the original. So, in that respect, some scenes are cut, replaced with a transition to CGI because the original fade point does not work with the new effect. Just a fact of life, can't be helped. But at most it's just a few seconds. Like in Errand of Mercy, the closing shot of Kor at the end fades earlier than normal to make way for a new CGI shot. That doesn't mean the show is shorter than the uncut, but the scene clearly lacks a bit of the film at the end of the scene.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David

No need to fear, from what I understand, the new HD DVD players are backward compatible, so you can play a standard DVD on them, no problem. It's like when vinyl records went from Mono to Stereo, you could still play the Mono records on the stereo turntable. and they won't be releasing all the TV shows over again in HD. HD only makes a visual difference if the show was shot on FILM... any videotaped sitcoms and such would have no benefit.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I already posted this in the HD section, but it seems applicable here: as reported on trekmovie.com just now, Amazon has Star Trek TOS Remastered HD-DVD hybrid Season 1 set for pre-order. Full price is listed at $198.99. Pre-order price is $138.99.

If this is correct, then Paramount did lower the price. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000VDDDY6

Additionally, it is reported that the CGI in these episodes will be as aired, meaning the earlier weaker CGI has not been redone. And they are the full unedited episodes.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I don't think Paramount lowered the MSRP only that Amazon did what was normally done and offered it a certain percentage off MSRP.

The week this and any other higher profile DVD is released, most retailers will have it on sale. When I hear what a DVD's suggested retail price is, I know that there will be opportunites to get it for a lot less.

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
As far I can tell, many of the *remastered* episodes haven't been altered at all, except for the credits and the usual orbital shot of the ship. It would appear then that only real purpose of adding CGI was to make the original Enterprise look more like the ships in the other shows, which just seems silly to me. No one watches ST:TOS just to see the Enterprise fly by.

BTW, the debate about whether or not CGI artists are real artists I think misses the point, which is simply that some people prefer modelwork over computer graphics. I tend to prefer models since CGI never looks very solid, and the physics and lighting often seem wrong.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
For those of us on the Amazon 10% off promo that works out to $126 - a far amount below the previously speculated amount.

I'm in.:)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is, the CGI used on the first few remastered episodes - before they built a new less-detailed computer model - actually looked more like authentic space footage to me. Later, they lit it more like a model in an atmosphere to match the original model work.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I actually think the opposite. The earlier CGI work on the Enterprise looked too "ghostly" and flat. The CGI in the later episodes have the Enterprise looking more detailed and better lit unlike the original blue-screen stage lighting on the 11-footer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks