What's new

Star Trek: TMP Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Of the current available home video version of TMP I would rate them as follows. The Blu RayThe directors cut DVDThe LaserdiscVHS

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been looking at all the new threads ever since I have been using the HTF app and reading subscribed threads so I didn't know about this thread!

I've been lobbying hard on the Star Trek films on blu-ray thread as you know for a new blu-ray of TMP DC for ages! I was also thinking that tomorrow is the 35th Anniversary of Star Trek The Motion Picture. What a missed opportunity. I just hope its out in a year or two for the 50th Anniversary of the Star Trek TOS premiere. I'd rather have it sooner.

Its like yesterday and my friend tried to get me to cut class to see it, but I waited until the evening to see TMP. Its funny that my memory then was how everything was so different in the film after 10 years of syndication and daily viewing of the series and the film really did feel cold, just like V'Ger. But now to me, the Enterprise refit is the best film version behind the original TOS ship. No other Star Trek film has the same epic feel that TMP does.

Here's a rendering I have been working on for my own personal projects of building the Enterprise in CAD. I'll post this to celebrate the anniversary. Of course it would be better to have done the refit, but that's my next project. As Scotty once said, N C C One Seven Oh One, No bloody A, B, C or D.

Enterprise 112714 orbitA.jpg

Shall we give the Enterprise a proper shakedown!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson - very nice!!

By the way, I feel the same about TMP - the older I get, and the more I watch it, the more I enjoy it. It's got some flaws for sure, but it captures the vast epicness of space and the unknown better than any of the other films. I used to think less of the film for not having a villain, but now I really love that about the film - there are no fistfights or guns and they can't just use their technology to get out of the situation. And all of the long shots of the inside of V'Ger are still stunning to me. I can't imagine a film today spending as much time on long, atmospheric shots the way TMP did. Sometimes modern editing is great, and sometimes I miss the slightly slower pace of slightly older films.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Josh Steinberg said:
Nelson - very nice!!

By the way, I feel the same about TMP - the older I get, and the more I watch it, the more I enjoy it. It's got some flaws for sure, but it captures the vast epicness of space and the unknown better than any of the other films. I used to think less of the film for not having a villain, but now I really love that about the film - there are no fistfights or guns and they can't just use their technology to get out of the situation. And all of the long shots of the inside of V'Ger are still stunning to me. I can't imagine a film today spending as much time on long, atmospheric shots the way TMP did. Sometimes modern editing is great, and sometimes I miss the slightly slower pace of slightly older films.
IMO, the reel saviour of Star Trek: The Motion Picture - then, since, now, and likely forever - was Jerry Goldsmith's masterful score. Wildly inventive yet wonderfully modulated, his 'tall ships'-redux music elevated even the most mundane scenes, and became the glue that held together whole sequences rushed to (near) completion with shots still missing.

I agree that ST:TMP has aged surprisingly well Josh. I always liked the movie despite its 'human misadventure' production history. But that Goldsmith score vaulted it to another level entirely. Never tire of it.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Josh Steinberg said:
By the way, I feel the same about TMP - the older I get, and the more I watch it, the more I enjoy it.
I'm in the same boat. Oddly, I never found the film boring, even watching it as a kid on cable (where the USA Network would expand it to as much as 3.5 hours with all the fat added back in). And I've said it elsewhere but, with the exception of Bones' disco-era civvies, the film has aged like a fine wine. And while it's flawed for different reasons, Star Trek V is another one that's grown on me as I've gotten older. (I'm only 31, but still!)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jason_V said:
Thank you, Tino. Not relevant to talking about TMP.
Exactly. But is anyone really surprised that member posted it?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:
Hoping mine arrives any day now....
Me too!

I'd really just like it by first week of January - I have a family trip to go on and I want some good reading for the plane!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Me three! I mst sayCreature Features CUSTOMER services is horrendous! I contacted them numerous times for the status of my orders and they NEVER responded. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks