What's new

Star Trek: TMP Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
ROclockCK said:
That many of these legacy DVD projects (if not most) did not also shoot the moon in terms of high-def rendering and remastering is a tip right there that the golden era of fan-targeted special editions has very likely passed.
I'm not sure that's true, Rock. I recently read an article about blu-ray sales and numbers went way up in 2012 and went up again in 2013. I believe according to the article sales of blu-ray players when charted were even more impressive than sales of DVD players during their heyday and this sounds crazy but I think the article said by the end of 2014 more than 70% of American households would be blu-ray equipped.

I meant to post the article here but got involved with something else. The gist was blu-ray was actually a hot item with big growth potential due to the number of households that already have the players. Smaller companies seem to be picking up the gauntlet in terms of "fan targeted special editions" and over the last few years I've picked up more of those than ever. I would consider what Twilight Time does "fan targeted special editions" as well as the stuff from Shout, Criterion, Olive, and a number of other small companies. I really feel like I'm getting more "fan targeted" stuff now than ever before.

ROclockCK said:
Realistically, what residual commercial interest remains in this 35 year old Star Trek film? Would a no doubt expen$$$ive reconstruction and rerendering of the late great Robert Wise's wish fulfillment cut even break 5k to 10k units in terms of hardcore sales? I mean, as one reviewer noted at the time about ST:TMP-DC's DVD release, after all of Wise's conceptual rework and finishing touches, in the end...well...the movie now "sucks less". Personally, I don't believe that evaluation is entirely fair...for all of its narrative flaws, ST:TMP remains one of my favourites among legacy Trek movies, in no small part due to Jerry Goldsmith's magnificent score.

But there's reel world...and there's real world. In the latter, I think we've already seen everything that Paramount is financially prepared to do with this niche-within-niche curiosity.
Honestly, and I am usually pretty conservative when calculating these numbers, but yes, I think Star Trek TMP Director's Cut would sell far more than 5-10k units. I think there just are far more Trek fans with blu-ray players than that out there that would snap that title up rather quickly. Star Trek is not a niche title, it is still a big viable blockbuster franchise to this day. Too many built in hardcore fans for this to be something that did only 5-10k numbers.

I mean if we were talking The Big Red One...I would be sadly agreeing with you. Not on this Trek title though.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Reggie W said:
I'm not sure that's true, Rock. I recently read an article about blu-ray sales and numbers went way up in 2012 and went up again in 2013. I believe according to the article sales of blu-ray players when charted were even more impressive than sales of DVD players during their heyday and this sounds crazy but I think the article said by the end of 2014 more than 70% of American households would be blu-ray equipped.

I meant to post the article here but got involved with something else. The gist was blu-ray was actually a hot item with big growth potential due to the number of households that already have the players. Smaller companies seem to be picking up the gauntlet in terms of "fan targeted special editions" and over the last few years I've picked up more of those than ever. I would consider what Twilight Time does "fan targeted special editions" as well as the stuff from Shout, Criterion, Olive, and a number of other small companies. I really feel like I'm getting more "fan targeted" stuff now than ever before.
Some interesting recent Gallup analysis on that, albeit sidebar to the subject of this thread.

IIRC last year, there was a chart linked around here somewhere which showed the growth of Blu-ray vs. DVD, especially for the catalogue end of the market. Yet relatively speaking, the overall trend for hard media delivery was down...Blu-ray just wasn't falling as fast as DVD, with the latter still commanding the overwhelming percentage of that contracting market.

So although I would agree that a lot more households now have Blu-ray *capability*, those owners aren't necessarily replacing all - or even most - of their legacy SD DVDs. At least I'm not aware of any market analysis which shows how the 'good enough upscaled' factor influences *actual* demand (i.e. sales) for HD remastering...especially with something like ST:TMP-DC which would require completely rerendering the CGI in that SD edition.

Everything I have seen on this subject still indicates puny Blu-ray numbers in the 4 or 5 digit range for titles which once would have warranted 6 and 7 figure DVD runs.
Reggie W said:
Honestly, and I am usually pretty conservative when calculating these numbers, but yes, I think Star Trek TMP Director's Cut would sell far more than 5-10k units. I think there just are far more Trek fans with blu-ray players than that out there that would snap that title up rather quickly. Star Trek is not a niche title, it is still a big viable blockbuster franchise to this day. Too many built in hardcore fans for this to be something that did only 5-10k numbers.

I mean if we were talking The Big Red One...I would be sadly agreeing with you. Not on this Trek title though.
Of course, I have underestimated the obsession of hardcore Trekkers before, so you might very well be right there. I mean, whodathunk Paramount would have shot the moon by reassembling ST:TNG from the film up with brand new higher rez post production and CGI effects? That remastering stunt raised both eyebrows.

So I guess it's possible for ST:TMP-DC too, but still don't think it's probable given its subset Trek appeal...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
ROclockCK said:
Of course, I have underestimated the obsession of hardcore Trekkers before, so you might very well be right there. I mean, whodathunk Paramount would have shot the moon by reassembling ST:TNG from the film up with brand new higher rez post production and CGI effects? That remastering stunt raised both eyebrows.
Unfortunately it was CBS who paid for the Star Trek television shows to be re-done, not Paramount, if only CBS owned the movie rights we would all be happy and i think every single film would have had a new 4K scan and brand new state of the art masters made, one day perhaps, i can but hope, i think we will eventually get the directors cut, it just might be a longer wait than we want.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I think that we'll either see the DIrector's Edition blu-ray upgrade this year for its 35th Anniversary(!)or when Paramount does the next theatrical release...I'm hoping for this year, but expecting the latter...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
or in 2019 for the 40th anniversary (Since I was born in 1979, I can tell you that ST:TMP is having it's THIRTY fifth anniversary this year...)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The 3 cd set of the TMP soundtrack is amazing. Love it!!!

I'm all in for the DC of TMP on blu ray. Hopefully it happens someday.

My thought is that the TOS films will be reissued in 2016 for the Star Trek 50th anniversary.

Hopefully new prints for the blu rays along with the alternate cuts of TMP, Khan and Undiscovered Country.

It would be great if they included more of the marketing spots as well. TV ads, trailers and radio spots.

I'm sure there is other material that can be added as well. I have copies of some of the press kit videos for several of the Trek films that were sent to tv stations for promotion.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hard to believe tomorrow is the 35th anniversary of TMP. I will always remember seeing those two great posters in the months leading up to the film, building anticipation. I think they were on the rear covers of every comic book published for a while. I was disappointed in it as a 12-year-old, but I have come to regard it as one of the best Star Trek films, and a great science fiction film.

tmp_comparisonb.jpg

STTMP_poster.jpg

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Osato said:
The 3 cd set of the TMP soundtrack is amazing. Love it!!!

I'm all in for the DC of TMP on blu ray. Hopefully it happens someday.

My thought is that the TOS films will be reissued in 2016 for the Star Trek 50th anniversary.

Hopefully new prints for the blu rays along with the alternate cuts of TMP, Khan and Undiscovered Country.

It would be great if they included more of the marketing spots as well. TV ads, trailers and radio spots.

I'm sure there is other material that can be added as well. I have copies of some of the press kit videos for several of the Trek films that were sent to tv stations for promotion.
This is why despite being a Trek fan, I have yet to upgrade my DVD sets of ST movies to Blu as I'm hoping we eventually get the Director's cuts of Star Trek, The Motion Picture (1979) Star Trek II, The Wrath Of Khan (1982), Star Trek III, The Search For Spock (1984 if one secretly exists somewhere) and Star Trek Generations (1994, which I have a inexplicable fondness for and if it secretly exists).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Kyrsten Brad said:
This is why despite being a Trek fan, I have yet to upgrade my DVD sets of ST movies to Blu as I'm hoping we eventually get the Director's cuts of Star Trek, The Motion Picture (1979) Star Trek II, The Wrath Of Khan (1982), Star Trek III, The Search For Spock (1984 if one secretly exists somewhere) and Star Trek Generations (1994, which I have a inexplicable fondness for and if it secretly exists).
And this is why, BEING a Star Trek fan, I HAVE upgraded to the blu Ray versions, which I think look great (I know, I know) and are miles better than the DVD versions, while I wait for those future remasters which I will snap up in a second. ;)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd agree with you on the DC's for some of those movies, Brad, but I don't think there's an extended cut of ST III hiding in any vault anywhere. I'd imagine, after all these years, Nimoy would have made a reference to it somewhere; I just don't think it exists. Same goes for Generations. We have the missing footage in deleted scenes (orbital skydiving being the most obvious one). The only thing I'd really like to see if whatever footage there is of the cast in the newly designed uniforms. If that has been officially released, then I'm drawing a blank on it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I saw it on opening day Saturday December 15th at ABC screen 1 sat in front row big sound Dolby Stereo wow it was cool film that would span the films franchise over a course of 3 decades.

10407062_10152881215535149_4145062525699522365_n.jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Here's wishing for the directors cut on Blu ray soon! I was too young to see it in theater. I discovered it on VHS but wasn't a fan until I was much older. The soundtrack really grew on me over the years. It's tied with khan as my favorite score.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
Here's wishing for the directors cut on Blu ray soon!I was too young to see it in theater. I discovered it on VHS but wasn't a fan until I was much older. The soundtrack really grew on me over the years. It's tied with khan as my favorite score.
It aired on ITV I think 1985 or 86 at 7.00pm and finished just before the Ten O'clock News.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks