What's new

Star Trek: TMP Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
This has been addressed before, but time to resurrect the subject. It had been speculated with the release of "Into Darkness" that fans might get a Blu-ray for TMP, Robert Wise Cut. Didn't happen.

Will this version ever see the light of day on BRD?

C'mon, Paramount!!!

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
All the "re-done" SFX will have to be "RE-re-done" thanks to Paramount's short-sightedness of only ponying up enough to have them realized in 480p. Why they did not see fit to restore at high enough quality to be able to go back to negative is moronic. But if they can upgrade the SFX for ST: TOS and TNG for at least 2K then I would assume it will happen eventually.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It depends on how much Paramount actually cares; the upgrades for the series work were done under the supervision of CBS, since they now control the series, while Paramount controls the movies. JJ Abrams ran into many headaches with merchandising for the new films, since CBS also holds the rights to the characters, which is one of many reasons why he has now moved on to Star Wars. All of this is to say, I would love a remastered TMP:DC, but unless Paramount is willing to pony up for the re-rendering costs for the special effects, it ain't gonna happen.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Yep...rerendering the CGI is the single biggest technical obstacle to what we all want here...when Paramount cheaped out on the Director's Cut DVD edition in this regard, they shot themselves in the foot and made it more difficult to transition this version of "ST-TMP" into the HDTV era...it still looks decent upconverted, but all Trekkies would love to see this finally released properly as a 4k-scanned blu-ray, the 4k scanning done for archival purposes and eventual release in ultra-HD!!!

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Hopefully, Paramount had some foresight and kept the original files for the DC effects. Wouldn't it be a rather simple matter to "re-re-render" into 1080p? Or 4K? Guess I'm just a little ignorant regarding the process.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I really would like to have the Director's Cut on blu ray. As I recall on the DC DVD Wise did not want the theatrical version released further. He considered the DC his finished version of the film.

Of course that didn't stop Paramount from issuing the theatrical on blu ray and creating the new 7.1 sound mix for it.

I'm hoping in 2016 with the 50th anniversary of Star Trek the films will be reissued on blu ray with new transfers and the other cuts.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Cinescott said:
Hopefully, Paramount had some foresight and kept the original files for the DC effects. Wouldn't it be a rather simple matter to "re-re-render" into 1080p? Or 4K? Guess I'm just a little ignorant regarding the process.
Paramount didn't, but the artists behind the new effects certainly have.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I believe the CG needs a fresh start anyway. Simply re-rendering the old stuff to higher resolution would still result in a outdated appearance.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure whether Paramount actually has the files of the CGI done for the Robert Wise cut, but they certainly have ownership of them. I believe that Darin Dochterman and company continue to have their own work product as well, but nothing can be done with that unless Paramount sanctions it.

I still believe we'll see an eventual Blu-ray of the Wise cut of TMP but I agree that at this point it won't be any earlier than 2015 or 2016, whenever they come out with another movie. I don't think we'll see new Blu-rays of the other movies, but they continue to have the revised cut of TMP in their pocket.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Not sure what you are implying with the use of quotes. I'm no Lucas revisionism fan...just the opposite. I'm simply stating that the CGI work done in preparation of 2001's ST:TMP Director's Cut would not hold up well today. I'm wasn't overly thrilled with it back then, either. Some good, some not so good.

Tom Logan said:
Yes, and some of the actions and dialogue are "outdated," too. I think Vger should shoot first, amirite?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jeff Robertson said:
Not sure what you are implying with the use of quotes. I'm no Lucas revisionism fan...just the opposite. I'm simply stating that the CGI work done in preparation of 2001's ST:TMP Director's Cut would not hold up well today. I'm wasn't overly thrilled with it back then, either. Some good, some not so good.
They said when they did the CGI they wanted it to look like effects from 1979, they did not want to make the CGI look like a modern day shot film.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I really don't have interest in owning any version other than the Director's cut of this one. I'd probably buy all the ST films on Blu if this one was included in a set, but I'm just not that moved to own one or two of them (I'd get 4 and 6) when I know that someday there will be a proper box including this one. So Paramount, you know how to get my $ now.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
FoxyMulder said:
They said when they did the CGI they wanted it to look like effects from 1979, they did not want to make the CGI look like a modern day shot film.
Maybe, but it didn't really work - I thought the new effects stuck out like a sore thumb. There aren't really all that many shots and it could probably be done much more seamlessly now without spending a lot of money.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Worth said:
Maybe, but it didn't really work - I thought the new effects stuck out like a sore thumb. There aren't really all that many shots and it could probably be done much more seamlessly now without spending a lot of money.
The point is if we are wanting a directors cut then those effects were approved by Robert Wise and are the directors cut, re-render but keep the same if we want the approved edition, not that i would be against something better, just saying.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
This.
Worth said:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
FoxyMulder said:
The point is if we are wanting a directors cut then those effects were approved by Robert Wise and are the directors cut, re-render but keep the same if we want the approved edition, not that i would be against something better, just saying.
I loved the new effects and I'm sure when re rendering they will look great in HD as well. I also appreciated that the effects were made to look like 1979 effects and not 2001 effects.

I thought everything on this project was handled very well, except for rendering the film's new effects for theatrical release and HD.

2016 seems logical with the 50th Trek anniversary and most likely the next Star Trek film.

I thought it was funny that Paramount went to the trouble to create a 7.1 audio mix for TMP on blu ray.

This after spending $ in 2001 to finally finish the mix for TMP's Director's Cut using the elements that were created for the film in 1979, but not used due to time constraints on release of the film.

It is crazy that there was zero post production on TMP when it was released in 1979. That in itself is reason enough to justify the Director's Cut of TMP.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
FoxyMulder said:
Exactly. And I think they succeeded brilliantly. The new effects blended seamlessly with the old. Have both versions on the same disc via seamless branching.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Tino said:
Exactly. And I think they succeeded brilliantly. The new effects blended seamlessly with the old. Have both versions on the same disc via seamless branching.
+1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks