Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 7 DVD question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ChrisCook, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

There is a listing for the seventh and final season of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" on TVShowsOnDVD's Alterations List. Does "All Good Things..." on DVD really include additional footage that wasn't in the original broadcast? It never made it passed the "Pending" stage, so I'm wondering if this is accurate.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases...-Season-7/1471

2. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I honestly don't remember the original broadcast well enough to say for sure. I know that the scene is there now, and it's quite welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps a few local broadcasters (remember, it was syndicated) botched the original showing, shoehorning an extra commercial or two in there.

Harry

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

No. There is no deleted material present -that is, nothing that wasn't broadcast originally. Now, some scenes were dropped from the show during syndication, and the DVD has the complete show as it was shown, but nothing that was never aired.

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I did a search on the Trek Wiki as I also thought the DVD was unedited too. As Sam has noted, what I found was when it aired as 2 parts in syndication, some scenes were cut. But the original broadcast version is on the DVD, intact.

5. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Not sure I understand the answer here. I thought when All Good Things was FIRST broadcast, it was as one episode and not a 2 parter. If that is the case, how does that version compare to the DVD, and not the 2 part re-runs?

6. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    That much I DO remember. It was originally broadcast as a two-hour event to end the series. As such, it had more content than the split-apart two parter that was prepared for the second-run syndication market.

Since they would have had to have added an extra set of opening and closing credits, plus a "previously on..." teaser, some content was likely edited out, which is probably what the original poster is referring to.

The DVD contains all of the content as if it were a two-hour episode.

Harry

7. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

Thanks Sam.

There were scenes that didn't make the final cut, and I may be wrong, but I remember hearing that Paramount extended the final two-hour episode for VHS.

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

I believe that it was extended from the syndicated version, back to the original broadcast 2-hour version from May '94.