What's new

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 5 (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Box Art...
72074_front.jpg

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
One of their very best seasons---so many great episodes to choose from, though I would have to go with "Darmok", "Inner Light", "Unification, Part 1", "The First Duty" and "Cause and Effect" as my personal favorites.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"Ensign Ro"....I love Michelle Forbes.

This is a season that kinda fell into soap opera territory a little bit, but it's too derided by a lot of people. The writers were comfortable in stretching the stories they're telling and taking more risks. Things like "New Ground" and "Imaginary Friend," for instance. They were also interested in allowing the main characters do humor...Riker's line about being in the holodeck after running into Kamala in "The Perfect Mate."

Part I of "Time's Arrow" is excellent. Great set up, fantastic execution, etc.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
An excellent season, although it had it weak moments. Unification is a better choice for a stand alone disc than Time's Arrow, which isn't bad, but left a lot of viewers scratching their heads in 1992. TNG was one of the biggest things on TV during this season. I love these bluray sets. CBS is doing a terrific job, and I look forward to DS9 on blu - next year maybe?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jeff*H said:
One of their very best seasons---so many great episodes to choose from, though I would have to go with "Darmok", "Inner Light", "Unification, Part 1", "The First Duty" and "Cause and Effect" as my personal favorites.
Cause and Effect is one of my favorite TNG episodes, but I was always a little disappointed they didn't cut a little from each repetition so we could have had a couple minutes with Picard and Captain Bateson at the end of the episode.

Of course that was nothing compared to Voyager's "Oh, look they're home! *fade to black*" ending.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sam Favate said:
I love these bluray sets. CBS is doing a terrific job, and I look forward to DS9 on blu - next year maybe?
I'm hoping season 1 comes out next November (assuming TNG S6 in April and S7 in July/August).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's been three months since the release of season 5 on blu-ray, and not a peep about seasons 6 and 7. Surely these are coming? I see Enterprise's fourth and final season is set for Apr 29, making it unlikely TNG would be out in April. Any word? Any rumors? I'm anxious to get the series done on blu, so CBS can move on to DS9.

I did see this: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=237577
which says late spring-early summer (June) for season six.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The post popular rumor is CBS has four releases planned this year: Q1 Enterprise S3, Q2 Enterprise S4, Q3 TNG Season 6, Q4 TNG Season 4. Considering the release date for Enterprise S4 changed from April 1 to April 29, I'm apt to believe this particular rumor. I'm hoping to see a TNG S6 trailer sometime in April.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have been looking for an official announcement and so far nothing. It seems Australia will have theirs June 4th according to the thread Sam linked to. I have two gift cards reserved for these remaining sets and am waiting... well I was waiting patiently but now I am growing a tad impatient. But I guess the wait will be worth it since the restoration will be excellent I'm sure.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The official trailer for the season 6 blu-ray and for the stand-alone Chain of Command BD are up:

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-star-trek-the-next-generation-trailers

The official site says "coming soon," although June 17 still seems the most likely date.

Season 6 does have a lot of great episodes, some of which are seen in the trailer: Relics, Tapestry, Chain of Command, Face of the Enemy, Starship Mine, and one of my favorites of the whole series, The Chase.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm dubious on a June date right now. That would put two release (three if you count Chain of Command separately) in Q2. I wouldn't be surprised to see this get pushed a few weeks to mid-July so S7 would come out in Q4.

Aside from dates, the only real question left is what two-parter is going to get the standalone release for S7: Descent or Gambit. I don't buy All Good Things... get the treatment since it's already a 90-minute movie.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
While we wait....

Now that they've been putting together two-part episodes as "feature-length presentations" for a while now, how would you rank the Next Gen TV-"movies"?

Here's my list

1. All Good Things
2. Chain of Command
3. The Best of Both Worlds
4. Unification
5. Time's Arrow
6. Redemption
7. Birthright
8. Gambit
9. Encounter at Farpoint
10. Descent

Have I missed one?

I'd say the first 6 are all quite good, but the last 4 are only so-so

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
benbess said:
While we wait....

Now that they've been putting together two-part episodes as "feature-length presentations" for a while now, how would you rank the Next Gen TV-"movies"?

Here's my list

1. All Good Things
2. Chain of Command
3. The Best of Both Worlds
4. Unification
5. Time's Arrow
6. Redemption
7. Birthright
8. Gambit
9. Encounter at Farpoint
10. Descent

Have I missed one?

I'd say the first 6 are all quite good, but the last 4 are only so-so
Best of Both Worlds, without a doubt, is #1. The best, most dramatic and action packed two episodes TNG ever did. It put the show on the proverbial map. Everything else is secondary.

Though I think the more accurate listing would be TV movie vs. recut two part episodes. The recut two parters are missing some pacing from the originally intended episodes.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
To me THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS stands alone. I saw it in the theater when they remastered it and, frankly, it was better than all the big screen TNG movies combined, in my opinion.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looks like June 3 for season 6, according to the Amazon link Ron posted in the new season 6 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks