What's new

Star Trek- The Next Generation S2 blu-ray coming December 4 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find a thread for this.
I saw on Amazon it's coming December 4, 2012. It should be an equally nice set compare to Season One. It includes all 22 episodes and an extended cut of The Measure of a Man.
There is a cast reunion feature and a multipart documentary. And of course, each episode will be reconstructed with the original filmed elements scanned in high definition. Any CGI will be minimal.
Here's the kicker that surprised me. Amazon's current price for the set is $114.86. That's high even for me who was willing to pay $99 for the first season of TOS on the HD-DVD. It's still a little over a month away, so things can change of course. The MSRP is $129.99.
Given the history of fans bemoaning how Paramount in the past charged such a premium for Star Trek TOS sets, I hope there isn't more of that for this set. While I think it is a high price, historically, it did drop to sub 3 figures. But if one considers the effort here is different for the TOS blu-rays of remastering film elements and creation of all new CGI effects and new digital matte paintings was a massive effort. For TNG, as most know, the collection of every film element for TNG looks like a massive effort of another kind.
Here is a link to a good interview with the CBS team about the process of remastering an episode: http://trekmovie.com/2012/10/06/extensive-interview-wcbs-digital-on-star-trek-tng-blu-ray/

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Wow, great article, thanks for the link! Every Trek fan should read this article for a glimpse at the remarkable effort going into this series. Intersting that there are two teams working on it; good to know that the Okudas are consulting both teams, hopefully keeping things consistent.
My one concern is that they are scanning at 1080x1920, which took me by surprise That seems short-sighted; even though that is the best blu-ray can deliver, it certainly isn't "future proofing". Look what happened when ST: TMP was redone in 2001 in standard def.
The price is high, but when you think of the enormous amount of work and expense going into it, it seems more worthwhile. I resisted the DVDs because they were SO expensive, and really the only work they did on those was creating menus and a few featurettes. I eventually bought them from resellers at lower prices. In this case, I want to support CBS' efforts so that they will continue will all the franchises. (However, I have to add that CBS is still on my sh*t list nonetheless because of the travesty of My Fair Lady). Also interesting to note that when they need a shot from a movie, they have to go to Paramount to get those. This separation between CBS and Paramount is confusing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You are welcome Bryan. I thought the article are very good too. I've started reading the full interview on the trekcore site. It really gives you a sense of the enormity of the effort and I figure it would help to understand the $100 plus price tag.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/324801/star-trek-the-next-generation-s2-blu-ray-coming-december-4#post_3994817
You are welcome Bryan. I thought the article are very good too. I've started reading the full interview on the trekcore site. It really gives you a sense of the enormity of the effort and I figure it would help to understand the $100 plus price tag.

There is no way, shape or form S2 hits for $100 release week. S1 had the same exact SRP and I got mine for $50 on release day.

That being said, I mentioned this to a Paramount SVP on Friday at our meet. His reaction was a bit amused. I forget the exact comment, but take the SRP with a huge grain of salt. I got the impression they put a bunch of prices on a board and threw a dart to figure out the SRP.

Mark my words: S2 is going to be a max of $60 at BB, Target and Amazon release week.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jason_V said:
There is no way, shape or form S2 hits for $100 release week.  S1 had the same exact SRP and I got mine for $50 on release day. 
That being said, I mentioned this to a Paramount SVP on Friday at our meet.  His reaction was a bit amused.  I forget the exact comment, but take the SRP with a huge grain of salt.  I got the impression they put a bunch of prices on a board and threw a dart to figure out the SRP.
Mark my words: S2 is going to be a max of $60 at BB, Target and Amazon release week.
Right now on Best Buy's website, season 2 is listed at $79.99. That's the same price they have S1 listed for.
And, of course, there are almost definitely release week discounts coming.
Wouldn't surprise me to see both seasons down near the 50-60 dollar range in December for the Christmas season.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Amazon will undoubtedly come down to that and then PM again. I'm really not sweating this and neither should anyone else.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree! I'm pretty sure the pricing will drop to that $60 level. When I first saw the Amazon price, that surprised me!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Full list of special feature is out, thanks to TVSOD
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-2-Press-Release/17682
Now, the two extended cuts of Measure of a Man were perfectly fine, but they went and licensed the TNG Reading Rainbow segments to put the icing on the cake.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link! I didn't know what the features would be yet. If that Reading Rainbow extra is the whole episode, then that's a great extra! I saw it once on PBS and wished I recorded it! I am wondering what a hybrid extended edition of Measure of a Man would be!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Measure of a Man is one of the best episodes of TNG (IMHO), so that is one to definitely look forward to. Season 2 for me was very up and down, but had a few very good eps, and I look forward to the release.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
TrekCore is reporting there are a few extras not on the press release: Q Who commentary with Rob Bowman, Dan Curry and Mike Okuda plus deleted scenes from The Icarus Factor and Up the Long Ladder.

Info at TrekCore

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Nelson Au said:
I couldn't find a thread for this.
I saw on Amazon it's coming December 4, 2012. It should be an equally nice set compare to Season One. It includes all 22 episodes and an extended cut of The Measure of a Man.
There is a cast reunion feature and a multipart documentary. And of course, each episode will be reconstructed with the original filmed elements scanned in high definition. Any CGI will be minimal.
Here's the kicker that surprised me. Amazon's current price for the set is $114.86. That's high even for me who was willing to pay $99 for the first season of TOS on the HD-DVD. It's still a little over a month away, so things can change of course. The MSRP is $129.99.
Given the history of fans bemoaning how Paramount in the past charged such a premium for Star Trek TOS sets, I hope there isn't more of that for this set. While I think it is a high price, historically, it did drop to sub 3 figures. But if one considers the effort here is different for the TOS blu-rays of remastering film elements and creation of all new CGI effects and new digital matte paintings was a massive effort. For TNG, as most know, the collection of every film element for TNG looks like a massive effort of another kind.
Here is a link to a good interview with the CBS team about the process of remastering an episode: http://trekmovie.com/2012/10/06/extensive-interview-wcbs-digital-on-star-trek-tng-blu-ray/
I won't pay that especially since Amazon acted like a pusher giving "free tastes" of the first season at $59, then giving it to you once your hooked, when the prices drop I'll pick these up and not before.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Jason_V said:
TrekCore is reporting there are a few extras not on the press release: Q Who commentary with Rob Bowman, Dan Curry and Mike Okuda plus deleted scenes from The Icarus Factor and Up the Long Ladder.
Info at TrekCore
Not any deleted scenes in the world could save "Up the long Ladder" maybe they filmed some Leprechan scenes to add to the bad taste racial stereotyping going on in that episode, it would've been appropriate in a 60's Bonanza episode, but definitely long in the tooth in 1988

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Dave Scarpa said:
/t/324801/star-trek-the-next-generation-s2-blu-ray-coming-december-4#post_3996570
I won't pay that especially since Amazon acted like a pusher giving "free tastes" of the first season at $59, then giving it to you once your hooked, when the prices drop I'll pick these up and not before.
If anyone acted like a "pusher" (a comparison I 100% disagree with), it was Best Buy. Amazon was only price matching BB's release week price.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't recall Up The Long Ladder being that bad... certainly not as bad as S1's Fear of a Black Planet... er... Code of Honor.
In fact, I just picked up S1 on Blu, and the first couple of discs were tough to get through. Things are getting better in the second half of the season, though. And I know S2 will be nowhere near as bad as the first half of S1... well, maybe The Outrageous Okona can give Justice a run for its money in the top 5 bad TNG episodes.
Speaking of S1 on Blu, the picture quality is amazing. I never knew the Enterprise's corridor walls were a brushed metal.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I want this badly - but i'm going to wait for the sub 60 pricing, it''s just not worth more than that to me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Images are now showing up on-line from two second season episodes that are remastered. One from Q Who and the other from Times Squared.
http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/11/08/Exclusive-Before-and-After-Images-of-the-Next-Generation-Season-2-Episode-QWho-Remastered.shtml
http://trekmovie.com/2012/11/08/exclusive-image-from-star-trek-tng-blu-ray-season-2/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks