What's new

Star Trek The Next Generation returns to broadcast syndication (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Thanks! I knew I should not have used quotes above. Thanks for the correct rendering. I'm going to fix the line above, since I endeavor to be accurate. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You do quite well.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here is the second part of an interview with Jonathan Frakes, in which he talks about many things TNG, including doing another film. According to him, he, Stewart, Sirtis, Burton and others are willing to do another. The interviewer points out that a DVD movie is more likely, given Paramount's focus on the new movie and new cast, and Frakes says that is a "good call."

Exclusive: Jonathan Frakes On Nemesis, JJ Abrams Star Trek, A Return of TNG + more | TrekMovie.com

I think if the movie is a hit, the studio might be open to doing other Trek projects, including a TNG or DS9 DVD movie as a way to build awareness of their Trek properties and sell the existing DVD sets.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'd be first in line for a DS9 movie, but didn't they tear down the Promenade set after the series ended?

While we're talking about TNG S1...

Encounter at Farpoint
Datalore
The Big Goodbye
Hide and Q
The Arsenal of Freedom
Heart of Glory
Coming of Age
Conspiracy

Yeah, that's about it...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I got annoyed at the absence of even external sources of drama. The Galaxy seemed so tame, so placid, that they resorted to making stuff up with the Holodeck. It felt very contrived. Fortunately, they finally managed to come up with some interesting externalities, such as the Borg.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I watched ST:TNG back in the day, and it occurs to me that although the "utopian restrictions" prevented the writers from exercising their imaginations to a certain extent, it also gave the show incredible focus (for good and ill). It never really got self-indulgent because the writers were unable to fall back -- easily, anyway -- on the standard elements of soap drama for the main cast (babies, marriages, relationships). That stuff was all pretty subdued, or limited to specific episodes, so the emphasis was on the weekly adventure, which was always my favorite part of Star Trek anyway.

I haven't watched any Star Trek-related programs (or movies) for quite a few years now. I'd be interested in going back to see how it all holds up.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Doesn't matter what happens to sets because all the information in the world is there if they needed to rebuild them for any reason. From the original blueprints at Paramount, to thousands of photographs, to the many books, to the episodes themselves.

Oh, and the only way you would be first in line for a DS9 film would be if you stabbed me in the back and stepped over me, because I'd be in front of you! :D

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Although I haven't read them, the DS9 follow-up books were supposed to have a story about Jake attempting to bring him back.

The idea of a quest of sorts to bring him back could work as a possible story, kind of like a "Search For Sisko" only without Christopher Lloyd as a lame Klingon.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I feel the same way.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

And that, unfortunately, is why the show will never see an HD remaster.

The fact that TNG is being re-distributed as is, without any sort of restoration/enhancement done makes the prospects of that show never getting the TOS treatment, and since DS9 remains the least popular (even though it's the BEST ONE, DAMMIT :D ) the chances of it being enhanced or anything of the sort are about zero.

Even after all these years, I guess DS9 still just isn't 'Trek' enough.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I suppose at this point the easiest thing to do would be to professionally upscale them. I mean if anyone with an upconverting DVD player could see that there is an improvement when viewing a show like this in that way, then having that done professionally would probably produce pretty good results.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill

Lame!? Kruge was pretty damn ruthless even by Klingon standards. He blew up that civilian ship with his wife still aboard! (Guess she shouldn't have peeked at the Genesis tape.) Not to mention vaporizing members of his bridge crew when they screwed up.
Although he did sound a bit too much like Reverend Jim Ignatowski at times. :laugh:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

This would be very cool. I hope they do go ahead with this. Currently the transfers are pretty washed out and lack definition. If they could do a true HD restoration from the original film elements... wow!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Seeing a lot of TNG references in advance of the new movie. Time's article on the movie has a long intro on the TNG episode "Cause & Effect," for example, and Sci-Fi is running TNG marathons, etc. I wonder if the success of the movie (which seems inevitable) will spark any new TNG projects? Personally, I hope it does, as well as a DS9 project or two. Would love to see a DS9 "return of Sisko" movie - maybe direct to DVD (Battlestar has proved that this is viable.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks