What's new

Star Trek: The Next Generation Movie Collection (1 Viewer)

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
[My biggest problem with Generations is that the writers make Picard an idiot in the last quarter of the film (from the moment he enters the Nexus)]
If the Nexus were anywhere near as good as they were suggesting, I find it hard to believe that either Picard or Kirk would have wanted to leave it in the first place. Soren was at the point where he could kill millions upon millions of people without batting an eye, just to get back.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Derek_J /forum/thread/293253/star-trek-the-next-generation-movie-collection/30#post_3612605

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
Even forgetting about Soren, it still seems difficult to believe. Guinan said Picard would never want to leave, which makes more sense. (And yes, I realize it wouldn't have worked for the film if they had stayed in the Nexus.)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/293253/star-trek-the-next-generation-movie-collection/30#post_3611189
Yeah, Kirk I feel deserved his own movie with lots of drama, action, and backstory. In Generations we just get snippets of who Kirk is, but I guess that's what the novels are for.
It's mainly a Next Generation movie, with a hint of the original crew to ease the gap into the next chapter of Star Trek movies.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by BrettV

anybody notice that these blu-rays seem physically thinner then most others? Very bendable ... not that I'm bending them or anything.
Hmmm... Nobody else seems to have picked up on this comment. But I do find this interesting myself as I had long been wondering if BD discs had gotten too brittle for the rental-by-mail business model (eg. Netflix, Blockbuster Online). I've found BD rentals to have had an alarming rate of cracked discs myself -- and at least a couple other renters on HTF seem to have noticed also.

If I understood correctly, the reason they're so brittle/hard is due to the extra protective layer designed to help prevent scratches, etc. probably(?) something that was highly requested by the rental businesses themselves, if nobody else. But it apparently backfired w/ the unforseen bad side-effect of cracked discs because they no longer yield/flex enough to handle the rough treatment of being shipped/handled via snail mail in those flimsy paper mailers.

Well, ok, that's been my personal suspicion/speculation on the matter for some time now anyway though few, if any, seems to ever follow/pick up on my comments on this subject.

The only one of these I have decided to pick up for now is First Contact. I watched most of it last night, and I am very happy with the quality. Spot checking against the two disc DVD edition, they have definitely done dirt and scratch removal, though done right, that can be a good thing. In general, it does have a cleaned up look to it, and I don't really detect that "layer of film grain". That being said, there is a lot of detail, and no real signs that it is of the EE or artificial variety. Aside from prosthetics, I don't get any waxy impressions either. If someone told me that this is what the digital intermediate looked like, I'd believe them.

So for First Contact at least, pick it up and enjoy it, because there are no real signs of foul play, and it looks great.

That's good to hear as First Contact is really the only title in that batch that interests me. But sounds like there some mixed reports about the PQ though, eg. the Blu-ray.com review mentioned later by another poster.

_Man_

Britton

Screenwriter
What do the covers for each individual title look like? I'm just wondering since the TOS box set had individual shots of each crewmember, but in the case of TNG, there weren't enough movies to take that approach.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
There may not be enough movies for that method----but they used it anyway.

The five male regulars are featured on the covers in the exact same photo type as the TOS movies.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Camper

There may not be enough movies for that method----but they used it anyway.

The five male regulars are featured on the covers in the exact same photo type as the TOS movies.
At least Gates McFadden was pictured on the back of one of the movies (Insurrection). Marina Sirtis--who actually contributed to these new editions with a commentary--is nowhere to be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks