What's new

Star Trek : The Motion Picture announcement? (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I'm prepared to live up to my threat if it's not announced by Martin's own timeline
Got my corner staked out to sulk in and pout.
Hey, maybe next week...
biggrin.gif

Joel
[Edited last by Joel Fontenot on August 17, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

Cliff B

Agent
This has to be my most anticipated DVD.
I don't know how much longer I can hold out.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven..."

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Me neither! Although, I'm kinda glad it didn't happen in the last week. It would have been buried under the Shrek announcement, the Wonka petition, the Pearl Harbor announcement, and the Cats and Dogs petition, among other things.

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
Could the delay of the official announcement for this DVD be a glorious portent that Paramount has decided to give ST:TMP-TDE the limited theatrical run it so richly deserves? NAH!!!
Anton

Kevin H. Martin

Auditioning
Yeah, maybe if they uprezzed the new stuff it could be released theatrically in October, to replace our disappointment over not getting 2001 A Space Odyssey that month, as Warner had promised earlier.

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
According to ST:TMP-TDE visual effects supervisor Daren Dochterman all of the new CGI for the film was rendered at full cinematic resolution. I present for your viewing pleasure his post to AICN:
Subject: Reaction to Theatrical Release
Comment: Just a note to clarify some things about Foundation Imaging's work on Star Trek - The Motion Picture : The Director's Edition... As Visual Effects Supervisor on the project for Mr. Wise, I was conscious of the possibility of a theatrical release for this completed version. One of the main considerations for choosing Foundation Imaging for the job was their ability to work at the higher resolutions needed for film work... and all of the work on the project was completed with that in mind. As to the comment that Foundation's work was not "high res" enough for film, that is not the case... all of the elements were prepared ready for film resolution. I have not heard of any plans by the studio for a theatrical release at this point... Daren Dochterman Los Angeles
The original post may be found at the following URL:
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/tb_...id=8139#252882
I can only hope that Mr. Dochterman was not being economical with the truth regarding this particular matter.
Anton

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the wonderful link, Quint! However, I am still waiting for the official announcement of the release date from Mr. Blythe and Paramount.
Anton

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I believe the link has been pulled now???? Hmm.
What's going on???

Michael Coate

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the link has been pulled now???? Hmm.
What's going on???
Widescreen Review's posting this morning had been approved by Paramount earlier in the week, but because they decided to postpone their official announcement at the last minute we were asked to pull our news item from the Web site.
Look for the announcement to be reposted on Monday.
Michael Coate
Widescreen Review

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I look forward to this release, but I much rather have preferred a Star Trek II: WoK special edition. To me, the second installment was the real defining film of what ST has evolved to today.
Elbert

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Elbert-
I disagree. The Motion Picture is the only film in the Star Trek franchise that has the feel of a big sweeping cinematic motion picture. This feels like a real film on the level of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is special as it's the first film and an attempt to do a real intellegent treatment of the Star Trek world.
It's main flaws are there to see now on laserdisc and VHS. I am very sure Mr. Wise and the crew that worked on the DVD redux have fixed the hastily prepared print we are all familiar with. I think it will be a real treat on November 6th.
I grant you that Star Trek 2 does deserve a treatment of equal effort. I hope it does happen soon. It's a film that is very enjoyable and captures the flavor of the original series the first film currently misses. I hope the Star Trek-The Motion Picture reinserts footage that also captures that spirit.
Nelson

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
TMP cannot hold a candle to II. II was and still is one of the best science fiction films of all time. Personally, I think it's much better than 2001, which I simply feel is overrated. Sorry, I just feel that way.
This does not mean I do not look forward to seeing what has been done to improve the rushed TMP. I will pre-order this puppy for sure.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This is fantastic news! You can also read about this disc at the official site . I know what I'll be doing on election day!
Thank you Sharpline Arts, Paramount and especially Robert Wise!
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I think I'm gonna wet my drawers.
Nelson, I agree with you. The first Star Trek had that "larger than life" feel to me. I saw it with my dad (a Star Trek fan) back in '79 at the theater. One thing that was really great about the movie is that it was a great re-introduction to the Star Trek franchise for people that had been watching the series for years. Sure it was drawn out and very slow moving in some scenes, but to see the newer technology combined with the familiar faces was really cool.
------------------
scott.jpg

Recently, we sneaked into the Klingon's engine and replaced dilithium crystals with new Folger's Crystals.
[Edited last by Scott Strang on August 18, 2001 at 03:43 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
TMP cannot hold a candle to II. II was and still is one of the best science fiction films of all time. Personally, I think it's much better than 2001, which I simply feel is overrated. Sorry, I just feel that way.
That's okay! That's your opinion, and you have the right to it!
But let me explain my opinion, and why I don't agree with you:
WoK was indeed much, much better than TMP. I'll state that up front.
But what we're getting on Nov. 6th is not "your father's TMP" (forgive the borrowed slogan, with apologies to both Oldsmobile and Shatner).
We are getting TMP:TDE (TDE for short).
Mr. Wise had disowned the film...it was rushed to market and was essentially unfinished! Now, it is finally done after all this time, and we get to see a film that Mr. Wise is so proud of he will participate in a commentary on! NOW THAT'S A TURNAROUND!!
TDE will be like nothing you've ever seen before, and as such Paramount seems to feel that it deserves a different treatment than all the other Trek films on DVD so far. As we all are (painfully) aware of, no Trek DVD has gotten a Special Edition treatment yet. All but a few deserve it, but none have it.
Other than the painful film "TFF" (#5), TMP is generally considered the worst to have to sit through among the 9 in release (although I've never agreed that it's as bad as all that, but I realize I'm in the minority). But TDE is **SO** different now, that it really ought to get a new theatre release (like Exorcist did). But Paramount feels that this is too big a gamble, and not worth the financial risk. Too bad...but they have given TDE the next best thing they possibly can: the most special DVD release they possibly can.
It's the right thing to do.
Oh, and as for a special edtition of WoK and the others, I am sure you can bet your boots that you'll get 'em. Just as soon as Paramount has a bit more time to get them together, I am more than certain that they will "go to the well again" on DVDs for this, their biggest Sci-Fi franchise!
By the way, I think many of us here will agree that TMP and WoK are very different films...apples and oranges. It was done that way on purpose. Like 2001, TMP was a very brainy film that was meant to appeal to a rather brainy audience, as Trekkers were considered back then.
Putting that last remark into context: I grew up a typical Trekkie...memorizing lines and then whole shows. Buying every James Blish novel and putting rubber bands on my ears to make them look pointed. Humming the Alexander Courage theme at school and getting beat up for it. Dragging my family to conventions when they came to town (but never convincing them to stand in line for hours to let me meet the stars!). So, when the original Star Wars came out, and everyone was talking about how great it was and my family became slowly convinced that we should go see this film everyone's going to watch...who objected? ME! Why? Because a bunch of kids at school told me that I would not like Star Wars if I was a Trek fan...it was a real action-oriented film and would seem too dumb to a Trekkie like me! :)
Obviously, my family dragged me to see the film, and the rest is history. But this is about TMP: When SW:ANH hit the scene and convinced Paramount to revitalize their space opera franchise, many of those in chrage pretty much WANTED to differentiate it from the "space fantasy" (that just made a few box office records). So...right, it ended up to be a 2001-type of story instead. All of this is recorded history, by-the-way, and I can drag out the books to quote from to prove it. It was when TMP failed to generate the SW-type reaction among fans (and generate new fans) that they switched back to the more-modernly-proven-SW-type of film that became WoK!
And I'm glad, because personally...I enjoy both types of films. I wish we'd get more of the "larger than life" type of ST film...Nemesis sounds like it might be really bad in it's present form...recycling too many old ideas. Sigh.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks