What's new

Star Trek: The Animated Series on 3/15? (1 Viewer)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I'd like to have the episode that Larry Niven wrote (the one where the Star Trek crew wander into Known Space :)), but $62.99?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Thats fine - I think the price point on Brisco is mad stupid too. The only reason I have it is because my roommate bought it for me.

Even 40 bucks is too much. He-Man is 25 bucks for 33 episodes. Transformers (well, when you could get them) was 25 episodes for 35 bucks. GI Joe was 38 for 27 episodes. When you look at something like Land of the Lost, you start getting closer to Paramount's price point - 25 bucks for 17 episodes. But find me a kids show boxed set that is more expensive - and the 150 dollar sets of Jem on ebay dont count. Paramount is out of their Freakin' minds.

Sorry - this is complete scrub for me until Costco gets it for 25 bucks 2 years from now.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I paid $125 foe the animated Trek on LD in the early 90s, so i guess thats why i still feel lucky. Dont get me wrong, i am not made of money. I have passed over 75% of Trek on DVD because of the price. I just think we can, hope we can find good prices release week.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I don't think they'll sell a lot at $63. If that's the point they can keep it. I have downloaded versions that look just fine. I'll pay $30 but that's it.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
This is ridiculous, 63dollars! I was going to buy this , but not after such a big price jump !Here in europe i got star trek original series season sets for around 38 euros a season, brand new sealed !No way im paying that much for the cartoon !

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Once again Paramount thinks that Trek fans will pay whatever it costs...
TOS on dvd should by now be down to $50 a season IMHO.
If they indeed release TOS on HDdvd how much would they charge?!?!?

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I've heard someone call it the "Paramount Trekkie Tax"

I still expect to find it for roundabout $40 when retailer discounts and sales kick in.

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Since I already own these episodes on VHS and have watched them maybe twice since 1990, I am going to pass unless Paramount lowers the price. They had me buying everything until Enterprise. If no one buys this set maybe at some point they will lower it (yeah right!). Even all the X-Files sets have had 2 reductions in price

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Paramount must have had to go without Christmas Bonuses last year because they hadn't released any Overpriced Trek sets so this year they had to set it straight.
I've seen the episodes in the last few years and most are not very good. They arent not worth what they are charging.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
The frustrating thing about Paramount's pricing system for Star Trek is that they really need to be using the DVDs to gain new fans for the franchise instead of leaching off their longtime fans. This is especially so of the original series since a rebooted film version is being made. A cheaper animated series could help introduce the characters to kids.

I try not to think too much about Paramount's DVD department. It is just clueless all around these days.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Star Trek has the market penetration that I doubt there are new fans to be had in the adult market. It's not like there are people out there that haven't heard of the show.

Katherine_K

Second Unit

They aren't worth what they are charging... to you. Which is I suppose the problem when you complain about Paramount's trek pricing. I don't like it either, but they are making money. People are buying them.

There are a lot of people on this board who will come up with what they think are better pricing or marketing schemes, but when it comes down to it... these people do that for a living. They have likely made the economic calculations already.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I look at it this way.. the Laserdisk Box Set with no Bonus Features was $149.95

Discounted I bet I can find this around $40-$50 bucks.. I don't see an issue here.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Right - and Paramount knows that sad trekkies with no lives will buy a cinderblock (limited edition and numbered, of course) with the Star Trek logo spraypainted on the side for a hundred bucks.

If it were full hour episodes, it would be worth it - but 23 half hour cartoons. I've yet to find another set - He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, and the like - that gives you less 'toon for more money. How can anyone look at that and say "Yeah, that's reasonable." is beyond me.

Paramount will milk the franshise until there dust comes squirting out of the teat with reissues and Blu ray and super deluxe repackaging shaped like Picard's head. F Paramount, I'll pick it up in two years time when it drops to 20 bucks on ebay. I aint seen them in 30 years, another two wont kill me now.

***EDIT***
Not to say that if other folks dont have a problem with the price, the you should not pick up the set. If youre ok with the high price tag, then go right ahead. I on the other hand am not made of money and will pick up a product that gives me more bang for my buck.

***EDIT 2***
Actually, I did finally find a cartoon that cost as much that delivered as little - the very first season of Transformers had 16 episodes for 59 bucks. But it sucked then and it sucks now - and at least transformers had a MUCH higher episode count in later sets for the same price. And I still aint touching Trek for more than 35 bucks.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I don't think your comparisons are reasonable. There are people who will buy the TAS that will never buy He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks