What's new

Star Trek: The Animated Series coming to blu in September, but... (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
12/31 is a Sunday so my guess i that date is a placeholder

Or they're trying to make a splash in the post-Christmas shipping corridor for the title. Studios have been known to use non-Tuesday release dates.

ST.com also reported December 31 in their official announcement.

Edit: 12/31 is a Saturday...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is a weekend, but still a really odd release date if true. I can remember several Friday release, but never a Sat or Sunday.

Could be an end of the year thing too, but why not use Dec 27 if it's a post Holiday or end of calendar year thing. I don't think there's a movie premiere then either. I guess some sort of New Year's promotion, but time will tell. Certainly anything unique to set itself apart would be a nice thing to see

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Maybe the date has something to do with wanting the title out after holiday shopping?
As I recall for into darkness I waited for Black Friday to purchase. $8 I think???

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here we go!!

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/09/star-trek-animated-series-release-coming-november-15/

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Maybe the date has something to do with wanting the title out after holiday shopping?
As I recall for into darkness I waited for Black Friday to purchase. $8 I think???

I will use the same strategy with beyond.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
This really makes me wish for more animated series from the mid seventies coming out on DVD? Emergency plus four? My Favorite Martians? the ABC Saturday Superstar Movie? So many series that haven't come out on DVD at all.

James

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This really makes me wish for more animated series from the mid seventies coming out on DVD? Emergency plus four? My Favorite Martians? the ABC Saturday Superstar Movie? So many series that haven't come out on DVD at all.

James
This show was released on DVD several years ago ... This is a bluray release of the series ,,, it was released as part of a set and now is being released separately ... were it not for it's inclusion in that set CBS/Paramount would probably not released the set on it's own ... I believe the new digital masters are being shown on Heroes & Icons a sub-channel network available on some Over the Air channels and on calble/satellite systems in some areas ...

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm happy for everyone who's excited about this release. So...

Not to be a killjoy here, but how much detail is actually in these animation cells to begin with? Is this kind of thing going to really benefit from HD? Of course it will be clearer, but someone please let me know if any new details emerge in the images. I have the DVDs and it seems to me I'm already seeing what's there. It's pretty simplistic animation, to say the least.

I hope I'm wrong and someone posts an image that knocks me on my ass and I go out and buy. But as of now, I am not moved to do so. Plus, it's not like I watch this set repeatedly like TOS, TNG and DS9. Too many strikes against it for me (to say nothing of Shatner often sounding like he phoned his lines in with no idea of the context of what was supposed to be happening).

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

Not to be a killjoy here, but how much detail is actually in these animation cells to begin with? Is this kind of thing going to really benefit from HD? Of course it will be clearer, but someone please let me know if any new details emerge in the images. I have the DVDs and it seems to me I'm already seeing what's there. It's pretty simplistic animation, to say the least.

I hope I'm wrong and someone posts an image that knocks me on my ass and I go out and buy. But as of now, I am not moved to do so. Plus, it's not like I watch this set repeatedly like TOS, TNG and DS9. Too many strikes against it for me (to say nothing of Shatner often sounding like he phoned his lines in with no idea of the context of what was supposed to be happening).

Brad here. I used to think along these same lines when it came to animation on Blu rvs DVD. I was skeptical on how much of a improvement a Blu would have.

Then I purchased the first Blu release of Looney Tunes (Vol 1) and was pretty much knocked on my keester by the clarity & PQ improvement over my older Spotlight edition DVDs.

I'm hoping for the same for this Blu release of ST-TAS.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Then I purchased the first Blu release of Looney Tunes (Vol 1) and was pretty much knocked on my keester by the clarity & PQ improvement over my older Spotlight edition DVDs.

I'm hoping for the same for this Blu release of ST-TAS.

I'm sure most people here would say that the Looney Tunes cartoons have much more detail in them than the simplistic animation style used on Star Trek, so will have benefitted from blu-ray more than this show will. There just isn't anywhere nearly the level of detail in these are there is in the Looney Tunes. Those were worked on by a big studio, for cinema release, and employed a fairly healthy amount of staff at a "boom" time in the US animation industry.

Star Trek, on the other hand, was done by a tiny studio, for television, employed a small amount of staff, and used a lot of recycling, shortcuts and other cost-cutting measures (including the simplistic animation style), all in order to both keep costs low and (as their studio head has said in interviews) to keep animation jobs in the US, as many of those were headed overseas where labor was cheap.

If you're expecting the same amount of difference in picture quality, you might be in for a disappointment.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While I doubt there will be a massive upgrade between the animated DVD and Blu-ray, I have to imagine that a lot of fans want it if only for the sake of completeness. If they've already spent hundreds or even thousands on all the other Star Trek home video releases over the years, what's another $25 or $30 to have everything TOS in HD?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
in a very Shatneresque, must......have...... when ..... it........ is ...........released...........separately:D

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Um... Didn't Shatner literally phone in his lines?

I think on one of the mission log podcasts covering the animated series, they mentioned that Shatner was off doing a play or something else and literally phoned in his lines.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If they've already spent hundreds or even [tens of] thousands on all the other Star Trek home video releases over the years, what's another $25 or $30 to have everything TOS in HD?

I am passing your question on to my wife. She will have a response, I'm sure, very shortly :)

Edit: She said if the upgrade is worth it visually, she wants it. If I am buying it just to have it in HD, she says I need professional help.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm sure most people here would say that the Looney Tunes cartoons have much more detail in them than the simplistic animation style used on Star Trek, so will have benefitted from blu-ray more than this show will. There just isn't anywhere nearly the level of detail in these are there is in the Looney Tunes. Those were worked on by a big studio, for cinema release, and employed a fairly healthy amount of staff at a "boom" time in the US animation industry.

Star Trek, on the other hand, was done by a tiny studio, for television, employed a small amount of staff, and used a lot of recycling, shortcuts and other cost-cutting measures (including the simplistic animation style), all in order to both keep costs low and (as their studio head has said in interviews) to keep animation jobs in the US, as many of those were headed overseas where labor was cheap.

If you're expecting the same amount of difference in picture quality, you might be in for a disappointment.
Exactly my thinking. But I will keep an open mind until I have heard (and seen) what others have to say once it's released.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

My feelings exactly. I waited to pick up the DVDs until I got the set for ~$10. I was somewhat surprised that I enjoyed it far more than when it originally aired. BUT - it's *still* a Filmation series and has all the associated baggage which comes with product from that studio. I'll likely get it eventually but only when the price dips to $20 or less.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
My feelings exactly. I
. I was somewhat surprised that I enjoyed it far more than when it originally aired. BUT - it's *still* a Filmation series and has all the associated baggage which comes with product from that studio.

I don't mind the limited animation. I didn't notice those things when I originally saw the series, and the nostalgia powers me through any drawbacks. Wish there had been more episodes.
James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks