What's new

Star Trek sequel scheduled for May 17, 2013 Release (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
What I would like to see in the STID 10 minute preview is the movie taking the plot of one of the original TOS episodes and burning through the TV plot in those 10 minutes.
Think the battle sequence from, 'The Ultimate Computer,' or - and a real big wink at the audience - 'Space Seed' - with Kirk banishing Khan to Ceti Alpha V or even 'The Doomsday Machine.'
Then at the end of that set piece the audience is teased with something that only hints at the main story.
Doing something like this, would be like a Bond movie opening, gives away none of the movie's main plot, and provides the audience with a kick ass action set piece.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I had a similar thought a couple years ago. Do the third act of a classic episode, only put in a little twist or two on the plot. The transporter doesn't get fixed in time, so Kirk has to run down to the shuttlecraft bay to escape the Constellation before it explodes in the Planet Killer's maw. And hope the bay doors still work! Or maybe Kirk saves Commodore Decker in this timeline?
Or do "Arena", and make the Gorn a female. ;)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Great minds think alike. :cool:
Our idea is even more attractive with the impending 9 minute preview.
Whatever the preview is, I sure hope it does not give away the whole plot of the movie. :td:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I've heard that there may be a trailer attached to non-IMAX showings of The Hobbit. Word is that it would be a real trailer, separate from the 9 minute preview showing on IMAX screens.
I hope that's true.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nine minutes is on the IMAX 3D prints. Trailer on the regular film. That's what I remember, anyway, from the bru-ha-ha a week or two ago.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Paramount has released the official synopsis:
In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes "Star Trek Into Darkness."
When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.
With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.
As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Regarding the "personal score to settle"-thing:
About the only other person still breathing air that Kirk would truly care about (besides his mother) apart from his crew and Spock Prime would be the now-Admiral Christopher Pike. Killed during the "fleet [detonation]," maybe?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I won't judge a film based on a one-line description, but I sure am tired of these threats from within. Seems like it's an idea that's been done to death, most recently in Skyfall.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have friends on Facebook who are trying to keep spoiler-free. So I posted that Cumberbatch is the Borg King and Scotty leaves SF to study him. I made sure to put KIDDING afterwards...but I wonder what the reaction is going to be once everyone wakes up.

It could certainly be Decker, but there a wealth of other possibilities as well. The loss could very well be Carol Marcus and the threat is Pike, for instance. I think Decker is the most obvious answer, but not the only one.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
That would be my preference - Josh. Nice catch on the chess reference!
I really hope it is not Gary Mitchell but it sure sounds like it from that synopsis.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be Samuel Kirk. Or Captain Garovick. Or Bob Wesley. I'm thinking its going to be people who Kirk admired or are close to him in the Prime Universe and had never gone bad in the Prime Universe.
It sounds to me like the Conspiracy episode of TNG. given they are TNG fan, it's a possible theory.
That said, I'm still not very enthusiastic with this new alternate Universe they've taken Star Trek to. I'll probably see it. But I have low expectations.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Without getting into "that" conversation, I was listening to/catching up on The Delta Quadrant over the weekend. They talked about the 2009 movie. The point was made, and I happen to 100% agree with, that the franchise had to evolve with the times. In my mind, this is an outcropping of that. From this teeny tiny plot synopsis, this movie will, in part, be about corruption inside government/organizations. That is relevant today just as it was back in the 60s, 80s and 90s.

Starfleet isn't perfect, it never was. There were plenty of Federation/SF personnel in TOS who were unhinged or less than ideal. So, at least in that regard, we're holding true...again, based on the plot synopsis we have already.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Richard Daystrom? John Gill? Kodos? Lots of potential villians, including Gary Mitchell.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The producers have mentioned their desire to do allegory through the story as TOS did so well. I'm not convinced they are capable of doing it well! :)
But we'll see. What is this Delta Quadrant you are mentioning Jason? A podcast?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/296811/star-trek-sequel-scheduled-for-may-17-2013-release/90#post_4006189
But we'll see. What is this Delta Quadrant you are mentioning Jason? A podcast?

Yup, it's a podcast. They generally focus on Voyager, but take side trips to other movies and episodes. They're in the middle of the beginning of S3. I think Sacred Ground is the most current (I'm a few weeks behind).

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Originally Posted by Jason_V /t/296811/star-trek-sequel-scheduled-for-may-17-2013-release/90#post_4006173
Without getting into "that" conversation, I was listening to/catching up on The Delta Quadrant over the weekend. They talked about the 2009 movie. The point was made, and I happen to 100% agree with, that the franchise had to evolve with the times.

Or devolve as the case may be. I'm with Nelson on this as my expectations are low as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks