Star Trek (original)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John*Wells, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I just can't believe they didn't put the infamous blooper reels on the dvd sets. For a $100 each they can include bloopers, no? The bloopers are only available on low-res crappy PD disks and tapes.

2. JoSAN

JoSAN Second Unit

3. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

The very old story I've heard about the bloopers is that in those days, they were meant to be a private thing for the wrap party of each season. It was never meant for public consumption. Also, they'd require permissions from all who appear in them. My guess is that because some of them look silly or are less then flattering, they don't want you or me to see them. That likely goes right to heart of why you will not see the Bloopers on a sanctioned Paramount Star Trek product.

Of course that doesn't account for the millions of times they've been shown at Star Trek conventions. I've seen them, and for the most part, are harmless. One or two bits might be objectionable. As JoSAN has said, they look really bad, some scenes are very dark and the image quality is very bad.

4. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

5. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

6. John*Wells

John*Wells Stunt Coordinator

John
    Well heres my problem

I want to go ahead and collect the other 4 sets (TNG, DS 9, Voyager and Enterprise) but I Really can't afford $106.99 a pop

I was in Best buy again tonight and thats what they want

The prices Paramount is asking for Trek are nuts compared to other sets but I bought them so I can't complain I guess

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

8. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

10. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

It should be Mike, since it is part of the season 3 set.

Um, given the winkin' smiley at the end of your post, I'm not sure if that was a serious question or not!

11. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Jeff- The TOS have been discussed at length in the past. There should be a review thread too.

That said, you won't see or hear anything better for this series. We Star Trek fans are quite fortunate that Paramount has done such a fine job at mastering these sets. Even if you can find used copies of the original 2 disc sets with 40 total DVD's, you'd be happy with those. The current season sets have slightly improved picture over the fist issued DVD's. On a high end video display, you'll see all sorts of things. For example, you can see the wood grain on some of the painted sets, you can see the zippers on the uniform shirts, and sometimes you can see the make-up transitions of Leonard Nimoy's ears and eye brows.

Actually, over the years, I think Star Trek has been treated extremely well by Paramount on the Home Video formats. I used to have the VHS tapes and color and image was great for that format in the 80's. I still have the LD's and those were another jump in quality. They are also mono sound. But the DVD's while pricey for many, are the best you'll get for this current release. Audio has been remixed for 5.1 and extras that would be considered adequate for the average viewer.

If you have an interest in Star Trek The Original Series, and you can accept the price of entry, this is an excellent buy.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

13. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    The video and audio quality of the STAR TREK season sets is quite good. A number of fans have mentioned the inconsistencies of the 5.1 audio with the original mono, but they are generally quite minor, and the overall effect of expanding the sound track is for the better, IMHO. It would have been nice if Paramount had provided the original mono too.

The video is so sharp that in the scenes where stunt men are doing their thing as Kirk, Spock, et al., it's often quite clear that you're not looking at Shatner, Nimoy, et al. These scenes were originally filmed for fuzzy old NTSC broadcasts, where the technology of the day prevented the viewer from "peeking behind the curtain". Seeing these filmed episodes enlarged on a high-def TV can be quite enlightening as to what went on.

Harry

14. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Nelson, Harry,
    Thanks for the info on the set. I'll get this set; just not sure when yet. I have to survive the Jan-Mar "gold mine" of releases ($$'s) first [​IMG] The lowest (online) price that I've seen for the entire series set is around $250.00 new.

15. Peter Raber

Peter Raber Stunt Coordinator

Jeff:

If you can hold out until June Deep Discount has their semiannual 20% off sale. Each season is going for $96 there now or the whole 3 seasons for $256.32.

Take 20% off those numbers and you are looking at $76.80 per season or $205.06 for all 3.

Sounds like the best bet. Of course I got them all for X-Mas in 2004. THAT really is the best bet.

16. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Peter,
    Thanks for the reminder about DD. I've ordered from them at that time in the past. I think I'll put the "reminder" in my Outlook folder now [​IMG]
    I wanted that set for Xmas but I had several others on my "Santa" list as well. I guess Santa balked at the price on TOS as well [​IMG]

17. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    i am huge fan of the orignal series and my top 10 episodes are the following

1. Trouble with Trimbles

2. City on edge of forever

3. Enterprise Incident

4. Piece of the action

5. Spectre of the Gun

6. The Doomsday Machine

7. Bread and Circuses

8. Amok time

9. Space Seed

10. balance of terrror.

My list is a bit different then list prepared by spacecast in canada

According to Entertainment Weekly, the following are the ten best episodes of Star Trek:[38]

1. "The City on the Edge of Forever"

2. "Space Seed"

3. "Mirror, Mirror"

4. "The Doomsday Machine"

5. "Amok Time"

6. "The Devil in the Dark"

7. "The Trouble With Tribbles"

8. "This Side of Paradise"

9. "The Enterprise Incident"

10. "Journey to Babel

18. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

I'd largely agree with the latter list, although I'm not particularly a fan of the Tribble episode. I'd probably replace it with Operation Anhilate! The Immunity Syndrome or Wolf In the Fold.

19. SimonTemplar

SimonTemplar Stunt Coordinator

There are some great episodes in your lists there. I'm surprised there aren't more season 1 episodes and, for me, The Enterprise Incident isn't a classic.

20. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    Most of my favorites are listed in those list, besides a few exceptions that I didn't think would be in many people's top 10 list (Shore Leave comes to mind for example as one that I really enjoy but wasn't surprised to not see listed).

But I'm honestly surprised to see The Ultimate Computer and The Tholian Web not listed in those top 10 list.

I need to get the Blu-Rays someday. I've held off so far due to the high price and because I don't really enjoy a good 50% or so of the episodes (There are about 25% I love, 25% that are pretty decent, with the remainer not being anything I'm interested in rewatching). Wish there was a good deal on them since it's a pretty steep asking price when you're only interested in about half the episodes.