What's new

Star Trek - Nemesis (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I fall into the "digs Generations" camp. Two of the three Paul mentions don't bother me at all, and I didn't think Soren was a weak villain. I feel Generations is one of the richest and most thoughtful of the Trek flicks - others may hate it, but I consider it one of the best...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I loved Generations, maybe even more so than First Contact which I also liked a lot. I only dislike the alternate-reality stuff as it explains away things too easily (movie writer's easy way out). Anyway, I can't say I liked Insurrection too much. It was tolerable for me. Same goes for The Final Frontier.

When all is said and done, I am going to rent Nemesis because I simply must check it out. I used to consider myself a Trek fan but these days, I am not so sure.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I also liked Generations... quite a bit. My only real complaint was that they couldn't get Spock and McCoy to join Kirk on the Enterprise B. It's hard for me to describe, but I just thought the film had a nice "feeling" to it.

First Contact was a nice suspensful action flick, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's the only Next Gen film that I saw twice in the theater!

Although this latest film had some problems, its a vast improvement over the dismal and embarrassing Insurrection, a movie I put at the level of ST:V.

Ric

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Weak Villain - I really liked Malcolm McDowell

Dead Kirk - Never been a big fan of TOS. I like TNG much better, movies and TV, so maybe that's why it didn't bother me.

Wrecked Enterprise - All things have to end. They wrecked the Enterprise in Search For Spock didn't they? I like the Entreprise E!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Pretty much agree with Ric, although I don't HATE Insurrection as much as some folks around here. :) Although it's right up there with "Final Frontier" ... *shudder*

Also agree with folks about the deleted ending... I *wish* they'd have left that on.. t'was a nice wrap-up.

Todd K

Second Unit
Soran was a decent villain -- he wasn't really evil, he just needed to do what he needed to do to accomplish his goals.

Kirk's dying was inexcusable. He had a perfect swan song at the end of VI. And to basically fall off a cliff, and all for the sake of a few lousy primitives we never saw -- lousy writing.

And I agree, the nexus was too much of a writer's out. The movie could easily take the award for most plot holes in the series.

And then there were the re-used special effects...

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Loved Nemesis and agreed 100% with Ebert & Roper -
TWO THUMPS UP!!! ...
"Stands alone as an Engaging Intergalactic Thriller ..."
It's my Friday NITE DVD presentation and it sounds glorious in the forced Dolby Digital EX mode - seamlessly blending the R&L Side Surround Effects into my REAR Center Channel!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Interestingly, my collectable starship model of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E w/Capt's Yacht, by Playmates (1998) - 8-digital photo's website @ Webshots, had an increased viewing hits, ... over 680 views in the last 4 weeks (170 per week AVG) and to date 5,218 Total Views - possibly due to the Star Trek "Nemesis" DVD movie release!??!

Phil

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I couldn't get over one thing in Generations...

I thought it was some kind of joke when Kirk died. It was "bridge on the captain" instead of "captain on the bridge." Oh well...

And while the Enterprise under Riker's command was being attacked by the Klingon ship, the Klingons said, "Fire at Will!" And of course, they were...

Anyhow, I haven't decided whether I'm going to pick up Nemesis or if I should wait for the eventual special edition...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For clarification, only Roeper gave it a "thump" up.

Ebert's "thump" was down.;)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
In Generations.....

If Lursa and B'Tor were able to figure out the frequency of the Enterprises shields...why not just rotate it to another frequency - DUH!!!!!

They went on a rotation when battling the Borg.

This has always REALLY bothered me.

I liked Generations to a point.

In Nemesis,did anyone else noticed how different the scenes showing damage on the bridge seemed this time. It didnt just look like they were jerking their bodies right and left pretending that the ship was hit. The floor actually seemed to move during a few of the scenes. I dont know what they did different this time but it looked ALOT better. I noticed it when the Enterprise crashes into the Shimitar and when they seperate.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
My main problem with Generations was that it just seemed like too small a story to hold both the death of Kirk and the destruction of the Enterprise-D. The teamup of two icons such as Kirk and Picard should have been one of the coolest sequences ever in a sci-fi film, yet it just fell flat becuase it was contrived, poorly written, and anti-climactic. Kirk deserved a more resonant demise.

Despite all this, I have to give Generations credit for realizing who its audience was; fans who remember characters such as the Duras sisters, for example. It may have been a contrived script, but at least they realized they could make references like that and it would be okay.

All the others, Nemesis in particular, have seemed so worried that they'll confuse a general audience that they ignore important parts of the characters' backstories that should have relevance on the plot of the film itself. The B4 thing for example: I cannot imagine who they thought they would confuse by just mentioning Lore (at least there were a couple of references in Logan's script). Even casual fans remember the Lore subplot, and it should have been constantly in the characters' thoughts and words as they were re-activating B4. At least First Contact remembered to reference the big things like Picard's assimilation (although it completely ignored everything that happened after it).

The Voyage Home is still the most successful of all the Trek films, a true crossover movie, and it is littered with references to previous movies and the original series; yet they don't want to put a reference to Lore in Nemesis when practically everyone in the audience is going to be expecting it.

Once again, sorry for ranting about such a seemingly small issue; it just irks me that Rick Berman doesn't seem to respect the fans (he may, but he's not good at showing it). Can you imagine Joss Whedon doing a Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie that featured werewolves, and having the characters not once mention Oz?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If Lursa and B'Tor were able to figure out the frequency of the Enterprises shields...why not just rotate it to another frequency - DUH!!!!!
And a few photon torpedoes at the Bird of Prey would have toasted it. Instead they pull a "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!" deal. WHAT?? Rotate the shield, and fire everything to get rid of the shields and then the bird. Even in Star Trek III with the Constitution class Enterprise, which is significantly smaller than the Galaxy class, a bird of prey was outgunned "ten-to-one". Yet the Enterprise-D needed to somehow get the BoP's shields down first? { shaking head violently } Help me! My head's about to explode!

In addition to that, the whole Scotty witnessing Kirk dying (which is in complete contrast to the Next Gen episode Relics), Kirk's actual death (was that really needed in order to pass the torch???), and a very weak captain of the Enterprise-B just ruined this movie for me, although the Stellar Cartography room is something to watch!

I'll still buy the DVD when it comes out, but I still put Nemesis way above Generations.

I didn't see a reply though to the one question about Nemesis being near-reference quality. Does anyone have anything on this?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
A DTS track would have made this even better, but this is still good stuff!
Ah, yes, of course. It's never at its best without DTS. :rolleyes:And I read this line just as I was thinking, "Where's the typical complaining about no DTS track?"

I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of extras.

One thing that I don't understand is why there are even "deleted scenes" sections, especially if it is possible to reintegrate the scenes back into the movie through seamless branching. I suppose that there are arguments on both sides why not to do this, but if scenes were deleted for time more than anything else I'd rather have the opition to see the movie with the deleted scenes integrated instead of having to watch the movie then go to the deleted scenes.

And no theatrical trailers??? WTF?! :eek:

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Where was the trailer :angry:

Anyhow, onto the movie...the following may be considered a spoiler, so don't read further if that sort of thing bothers you.

I had not seen this film before (or should I say B4) last night. I thought the kid who played the Youthful-Jean-Luc/Dr. Evil character to be a so-so villain.

Out side of "Voyage", what made ST films great was an actor with chops playing the villain. Ricardo Montalban is the reason "Wrath" was as good as it was.

How can I say this? Well, as I said I watched "Nemesis" last night and it was basically a retread of "Wrath."

The problem with the NextGen crew in movies is that they all developed into very strong characters in the series that lasted 7 seasons. The Original Series was different. It only lasted three, and as such, there wasn't the time for development of each individual.

I feel when watching a NextGen movie that all the characters seem to suffer a lack of focus. The two that seem to get the most focus are Picard and Data. While those two were popular on the series, there were episodes that focused on Riker, Troi, Worf, Geordi, and Crusher. There were weeks when we barely saw Picard or Data. Instead, the characters become watered down versions in the movies...sad.

The problem that I have always seen with NextGen as movies is that the show was sooo successful and that the effects were really quite good for a TV series at the time.

As I was watching this movie, I couldn't help but feel that they ought to make a new Star Trek TV series focusing on Captain Riker and Deanna Troi. That show sounds very interesting.

The movie itself has some nice FX scenes. There is quite a bit of action, and those scenes are fun. The transfer looks good. It is, however, a rehash of "Wrath".

If they are going to copy a movie, they picked the right one. However, something just felt wrong as I watched it. I almost wished that instead of moving this crew to film, they had kept the show going for another 3 or so seasons.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'd rather have the opition to see the movie with the deleted scenes integrated instead of having to watch the movie then go to the deleted scenes.
Normally I'd agree with you John. I'd like to see this as an option for a number of flicks. And as I mentioned before, I like the deleted section of the finale, and wish they'd left that intact.

However, there are several shots in the deleted scenes that weren't fully completed. You can see Picard standing in front of the briefing-rooms' windows, and the green-screen is there, rather than the stars. I think there were a couple scenes like this. I don't want to see that integrated with the movie. :)

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
'm still waiting to hear someone in this movie to say. "phew i'm sure glad that wasn't lore" or at least hey are we sure it isn't lore" or at least a mention of lore.
They didn't mention lore as it would have confused non trek fans who hadn't seen star trek before. That was the given reason anyway.

Also, there is more than two Soongh androids. Data and Lore's mother said to Data that there were previous androids before them, Which had basic programming compared to than Data or Lore.

It was covered in the episode where their mother comes aboard the enterprise.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OK, a little off topic, but why is Generations viewed so harshly? I mean, it's not an out and out action flick like First Contact, but to me, I loved it just because I love the characters and their interactions. I thought it had a dark and almost melancholic feel which I really liked.
>>>

I think it would have been much more heartfelt to have Kirk live, see the destruction of the Enterprise D, and have a tearfull reunion with Scotty :).

The next movie could have been Kirk having Starfleet give him the command of the E, and all about the competition between old captain and new :).

But, on the whole, I liked Generations, FC, AND Innsurrection.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
However, there are several shots in the deleted scenes that weren't fully completed.
That's why I said "if it is possible to reintegrate the scenes back into the movie". :p) It's no worse than the reintegration in the restored, widescreen VHS edition of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" where Kirk is coming out of an Enterprise hatch that has scaffolding behind it. :D I wish I held onto that tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks